Paul's Here

"Friday is fatwa Friday"

10 posts in this topic

Ohio Car Dealership Blasted for Jihad Ad

A car dealership's planned radio advertisement that declared "a jihad on the automotive market" has drawn sharp criticism for its content but will not be changed, the business said Saturday.

Several stations rejected the Dennis Mitsubishi spot, which says sales representatives wearing "burqas" - head-to-toe traditional dress for Islamic women - will sell vehicles that can "comfortably seat 12 jihadists in the back."

"Our prices are lower than the evildoers' every day. Just ask the pope!" the ad says. "Friday is fatwa Friday, with free rubber swords for the kiddies." A fatwa is a religious edict.

Dealership president Keith Dennis said the ad does not disrespect any religion or culture. He said it was "fair game" to poke "a little fun at radical extremists."

"It was our intention to craft something around some of the buzzwords of the day and give everyone a good chuckle and be a little bit of a tension reliever," he said.

The Columbus chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations decried the ad as disrespectful.

"Using that as a promotional pitch when so many are dying from the criminal activity of suicide bombers, that's not funny," chapter president Asma Mobin-Uddin said. "I don't think it's appropriate when it causes real pain. It exploits or promotes misunderstanding in terms already misunderstood or misused."

The ad, written and produced by the company, will begin airing next week, although he was uncertain of which radio stations had accepted the spot, Dennis said.

"Friday is fatwa Friday." Sounds like a trademark violation.

I thought the Muslim clerics that direct their followers to burn down their own neighborhoods, over something that happened months or centuries before and thousands of miles away, during Friday prayers had a monopoly on that phrase.

Perhaps the clerics can claim in court that the humorous use of their trademark will harm their ability to attract customers, because it correctly identifies them as raving lunatics. However, I guess they would have to complain of a lack of damages as the harm.

HA! Islam may now be said to have made it in the West. It is now a subject for crass commercialization. Just think! Now they'll have a whole nuther topic for discussion at their interfaith koffee klatches.

It will probably all end in tears, but damn it, there are times when I really love this country and this is one of them.

HA! Islam may now be said to have made it in the West. It is now a subject for crass commercialization. Just think! Now they'll have a whole nuther topic for discussion at their interfaith koffee klatches.

It will probably all end in tears, but damn it, there are times when I really love this country and this is one of them.

TAIFF: Thank Allah it's Fatwa Friday!!

Sounds like a good name for a restaurant.

Sounds like a good name for a restaurant.

Think TAIFF would serve treyf? :)

Thanks for the link to the article. I intend to watch for follow-up in the news. How our culture deals with this might be an indication of the state of the culture. For example, respecting this company's freedom of speech will be a positive sign. Likewise, if the advertisers and at least some radio stations continue using the ad, that too will be a positive sign. If this ad's approach is copied by others, that will be an even stronger sign.

On a side note, for anyone: What does "Fatwa Friday" mean? Is it a phrase designed strictly for alliteration, or does the ad writer think there is some connection between the issuance of a fatwa and the day of the week -- in particular Friday, the special day on which many Muslims attend a central "congregational" mosque? (I am not aware of any such connection.)

Well, I said it would all end in tears. I just didn't know it would be my tears and that I'd be crying so soon.

The dhimmification of America proceeds apace:

CHICAGO (Reuters) - A car dealership in Ohio has decided not to run a commercial proclaiming a "jihad" on the U.S. auto market, a Muslim activist group said on Monday.

The Ohio Chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations released a letter from the dealership offering an apology and saying the radio ad, which had never been aired, was a misguided attempt at humor.

"We appreciate the dealership's constructive reaction to feedback about the proposed advertisements," said Adnan Mirza, director of the group's Ohio's office. "We accept the apology ... and hope that it and the decision not to air the spots will bring this incident to a close."

Too bad.

Tucker....asked some pretty good questions!

Thanks for the link. Tucker is a much better interviewer than he is a dancer. :)

I liked it when he stated that these people appeared to stand on the side of the jihadists. Nice point, that.