Stephen Speicher

The Aristotle Adventure

Rate this book   9 votes

1. 1. Rate this book

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 posts in this topic

I cannot give a better short description of this book than what is given in its "Preface."

The Aristotle Adventure is a guide to individuals who had the courage and integrity to pursue their highest values despite distractions, setbacks, and threats. The object of their struggle was logic, the tool of an ancient philosophy of reason -- a philosophy which offers the promise of happiness, here in this world.

This book is mainly a guide to the past, from the standpoint of one subject -- Aristotle's logic. Where scarce historical evidence exists, this book is also partly:

• A saga ( a straightforward account of a sequence of people and events).
  • A drama (an account of fundamental values in conflict).
  • An adventure story (an account of a bold, risky enterprise whose outcome was uncertain and hazardous).

The Aristotle Adventure is exactly what it claims to be. I recommend this wonderfully crafted book to anyone with a general interest in ideas and in how ideas are transmitted throughout history, and to anyone with an interest in the ideas of Aristotle in particular.

Brilliant and illuminating; it's brimming with lessons on how thinkers shape history.

However, in my opinion Burgess's fiction is even better than his non-fiction. I was enormously privileged, years ago, to read digital versions of his two unpublished novels, The Silent Trade and Merchant's Word. He is a master storyteller.