Stephen Speicher

Founders College: Full Website Unveiled

29 posts in this topic

Thanks, Michelle.

One detail I did not mention before: During the Q&A I asked Dr. Hull about the faculty, and he said he could not mention names, but several professors he had known for over twenty years were lined up for teaching at Founders. I can bet some of them are Objectivist.

Very disappointing news. From newsadvance.com.

Campbell County planners say no to Founders College

By Sarah Watson

swatson@newsadvance.com

October 23, 2006

Plans for another college in the Lynchburg area hit a roadblock Monday when the Campbell County Planning Commission voted unanimously against a sweeping proposal for a campus in Lynch Station.

“What it really comes down to, to me in the long run, is that it’s too much, too soon,” said commissioner William Calohan.

Founders College Education Inc., a for-profit company planning to construct a college along with a retirement community and other amenities, has contracted to purchase the 1,125-acre Merritt Hutchinson Conference Center and Resort in Lynch Station.

The development was one of two for that area of Campbell County to come before the planning commission Monday night.

Several dozen people turned out for a public hearing on a 1,200-acre housing development proposed by NASCAR driver Stacy Compton that straddles Campbell and Bedford counties near Johnson Mountain Road.

The planning commission voted to delay an opinion on that project, which could have as many as 400 homes, until several issues could be settled, namely road improvements and soil studies.

In the Founders College project, developers proposed an amendment to the land-use map on the county’s comprehensive plan and a rezoning variance to convert the land from agricultural use to residential, with a special permit for a Planned Unit Development.

Currently, the area where Founders College developers want to build is 95 percent rural, said Paul Harvey, Campbell County community development director.

The Founders plan proposed moving the land-use boundary so the college would be in an area designated for growth. However, planning commission staff recommended “they either leave the boundary alone or change the entire area to a transitional growth area,” Harvey said.

There needs to be a valid reason to change the comprehensive plan, said Robert Nixon, commissioner from Timberlake. “At this point in time they haven’t given me a valid reason to change” the plan, he said.

“For something as large and intense as Founders College, for it to be anywhere near a rural area you need to plan the after-effects,” Harvey said before the meeting. “Just moving the boundary doesn’t take into account the other things that will try to locate near it.”

“It’s a big impact,” said Patrick Tweedy, commissioner from Altavista. “This would change the rural character of that part of the county.”

The mentality of Offical ciity planners. :)

Very disappointing news. From newsadvance.com.

[...]

This is an example -- far too common -- of legalized rights-violation by mediocrities of the lowest order. (And I believe that Virginia is generally considered to be a relatively "business-friendly" state!).

Man's right to his own life depends upon his freedom to act, including decisions about what to do with his own property, so long as his actions violate no other man's rights. But immoral laws, regulations, and procedures, allow government-planning busy-bodies to act arbitrarily, granting them a totally immoral power (of force) to delay, determine, and control men's lives with numerous, vicious, and seemingly endless approval procedures for almost every use to which a man could possibly want to put "his" property in order to live.

Such non-objective laws and procedures, and the mediocrities who employ them, are incrementally making slaves out of every citizen. And this is why "private property" in this country is generally no such thing -- which by extension means, to the extent that a man's property is controlled by force, that a man's life is not his own.

While the very lowest circle of hell must be reserved for most philosophers and so-called educators -- if there really were a hell -- as far as I am concerned, government-planning, rights-violating mediocrities would occupy the next-to-lowest circle. This includes many (most?) of those who occupy any non-essential government position, and all of those who occupy any government position, essential or not, who violate the rights of other men by using political power to do it.

This is merely one small, if important, example of the increasing fascism in this country, a direction which Miss Rand rightly predicted; and the practice of which, for the most part, grows worse and worse with every passing year.

Whatever reservations I have about the endeavor, it is truly disgusting that such modern political obstacles are stopping them from proceeding.

“It’s a big impact,” said Patrick Tweedy, commissioner from Altavista. “This would change the rural character of that part of the county.”

Once again, the religion of environmentalism at work.

There's vast room to develop in Indiana. They could probably acquire farmland not far away from Indianapolis International Airport and build from scratch, more cheaply and almost certainly with less environmentalist wacko-ism than the east (or west) coast.