Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnRgt

Recipes From Ancient Greece and Rome

3 posts in this topic

I just came across a review of food historian Francine Segan's The Philosopher's Kitchen: Recipes from Ancient Greece and Rome for the Modern Cook.

"This book is unique in not only the way its recipes are organized, but in the way it delves into the history of Greeks and Romans, their customs and philosophies"

"The final chapter in the book, Menus and Entertaining, contains examples of Greek and Roman party invitations for all occasions and complete menus. My favorite reads as follows, `...music, readings, riddles of the Sphinx, mild debauchery...'"

Some of the recipes mentioned in the review:

- Savory Pork-Filled Acorn Squash, which uses fennel, anise seeds and cumin.

- Seared Tuna with Onion-Raisin Marmalade

- Pea Souffle with Fresh Dill

- Roasted Leeks and Apple

As Dr. Peikoff observed in one of his lectures (radio broadcasts?), the cuisine of benevolent cultures lean sweet.

JohnRGT

As Dr. Peikoff observed in one of his lectures (radio broadcasts?), the cuisine of benevolent cultures lean sweet.

Can anyone attribute this to a particular Peikoff lecture or broadcast and/or explain the basis of this statement?

Sounds tempting. Especially the "mild debauchery"! Just kidding.

I've often complained that a typical history lesson (or results of my geneological efforts, for that matter) tell statistics but not stories. I want to know who people were. Know what I mean? OK, so Uncle Irv was born Feb. 6, 1902, or whenever... but who was he? What was he like? What did he eat? How did he party? Etc. etc. etc.

I thought the best class on mythology I ever had was given by a lady from Greece... because it wasn't just the "facts" (in mythology?) that were handed down, but her own experiences on the islands, etc. Her descriptions of the terrain, the forests, and her own activities there made the gods and goddesses come alive. Very magical.

Anyway, I might have to look this up.

Thanks for sharing.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0