Stephen Speicher

Firefly (2002)

Rate this TV show   68 votes

1. 1. Rate this TV show

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

77 posts in this topic

I just bought the DVD set, but I'm wondering if I should watch the shows in the order listed on the individual DVD cases or the original air date order.

Firefly buffs, enlighten me!

I just bought the DVD set, but I'm wondering if I should watch the shows in the order listed on the individual DVD cases or the original air date order.

Firefly buffs, enlighten me!

Great news! I hope you enjoy the show.

The actual episode order is the order in which they are listed on the DVDs. The air date order is simply wrong. For instance, Fox aired the pilot last, because it wanted to start with an episode with more action.

Watch them in the order of the DVD. It's much better this way, and the characters' development is much more natural.

Watch them in the order of the DVD.  It's much better this way, and the characters' development is much more natural.

The order of shows on the DVD is the originally intended sequence. Yet, after the series premiere and the second episode, is there much in the way of events in the ongoing storyline that really requires the episodes to be watched in order? I don't think there is. Most of the episodes are sufficiently self-contained that watching the episodes a bit out of order wouldn't be noticeable.

The order of shows on the DVD is the originally intended sequence.  Yet, after the series premiere and the second episode, is there much in the way of events in the ongoing storyline that really requires the episodes to be watched in order?  I don't think there is.  Most of the episodes are sufficiently self-contained that watching the episodes a bit out of order wouldn't be noticeable.

They are best watched in order, even if self-contained, because the characters change. Also a few episodes do more or less require that you have seen previous episodes: Trash, for instance, depends on Our Mrs. Reynolds. Ariel and Safe are other episodes that are very important to see when they are intended.

They are best watched in order, even if self-contained, because the characters change. Also a few episodes do more or less require that you have seen previous episodes: Trash, for instance, depends on Our Mrs. Reynolds. Ariel and Safe are other episodes that are very important to see when they are intended.

Sure. I just meant it wasn't like a soap opera, where an episode picks up where the prior one left off with multiple story arcs.

Well I'm adding my name to the list of people who have seen the shows and the movie, and have become fans for life; I give it a full 10. The show is truly remarkable, and for many many more good qualities than I can get into here: an awesome (and today, an exceptionally rare) portrayal of masculinity, an endearing adherence to principle, a perrenial stylization of courage, determination, etc.

The virtues that the characters and especially Mal embody are portrayed to such a degree, and so much without any apology, that watching this show and then going out into today's world makes one wonder whether the show exists, or that world does. Because it is almost impossible to believe that such a show could exist in such a time as ours, or that such a time as ours could exist, if the shows like this are possible.

And the movie takes all of this, and doubles it.

---

I really recommend that people don't go see the movie first and the shows later, because many good parts of the movie will have little impact without the emotional effect built up by the series, and the many plot lines of the series will become spoiled or resolved by the movie. So to experience the true wonder that is Firefly, I really suggest that the shows are watched first (in order), and then the film -- for an amazing emotional impact. The film's wide-screen version is actually going to be ready for Christmas release, and Amazon is already accepting pre-orders for the bundle of the series plus the movie, for all of $45.00 (here)!

I never watched this show while it was on air, but after reading so many Objectivists saying good things about it I put the DVD set of the series on my Amazon wish list, and got it for Xmas. I'm five episodes in and am quite impressed! I give it a 10, great show!

Brian

Firefly is such a good series, better than anything I've ever seen on televison before. Or since. I've watched all the episodes multiple times, and never get tired of them. It is exactly the kind of "emotional fuel" Romantic art is supposed to be. I come back to Firefly any time I need a dose of Romanticism.

Today I watched the episode Shindig. Along with the ubiquitous great humor of all the episodes, it had these great exchanges between Mal and Inara, among others:

Mal:    "I thought he [inara's client, Atherton Wing] made it pretty clear he had no regard for you."

Inara:  "You did manage to push him into saying something, yes.  Made a nice justification for the punch."

Mal:    "He insulted you.  I hit him.  Seemed like the thing to do."

. . . . .

Inara:  "It takes less than a pound of pressure to break the skin [with a sword]."

Mal:    "You know that?  They teach you that in whore academy?"

Inara:  "You've a strange sense of nobility, Captain.  You'll lay a man out for implying I'm a whore, but you keep calling me one to my face."

Mal:      "I might not show respect to your job, but he didn't respect you.  That's the difference."

Inara:  "You are always breaking the rules, no matter what society you are in.  You don't get along with ordinary criminals either, which is why you are constantly getting in trouble."

Mal:  "You think following the rules will buy you a nice life.  Even if the rules make you a slave."

That is great writing. I can't get enough of this show. I just wish there were more.

Another great scene, this one from the episode Safe. It revolves around Simon Tam's relationship with his sister, River, and with his parents, who are of the go-along-to-get-along variety. Simon's father has just bailed Simon out of jail, where he landed because of his efforts to rescue River from the government. His parents are unconvinced that River is in any danger.

Father:  "Have you completely lost your mind?"

Simon:  "Pretty nearly."

Father:  "We got the wave at the Friedlich's.  I had to leave your mother at the dinner table."

Simon:  "I'm sorry, Dad.  You know I would never have tried to save River's life if I had known there was a dinner party at risk."

Father:  "Don't you dare be flippant with me, young man.  I just spent 2,000 credits to get you out of here, and I had to walk through that door, which goes on my permanent profile.  Are you trying to destroy this family?"

Simon:  "I didn't realize it would be so easy."

Okay, a friend has lent me the series of the last week or so, and I fell in love with it. The more I watch it, the better it gets. I wasn't that taken in at the beginning, but now I just can't stop watching it. I've still got the last four episodes to see. It sucks though, because I'll have to wait until next weekend because my friend and I are both out of town this week (different places). The show is so good though. It's very heroic, in general, but it's also really funny. Mal's sarcasm, combined with Jayne's ... demeanour in general is absolutely hilarious.

Definitely a 10.

Zak

Thank you to the forum for introducing me to this show! I just finished the second DVD and I think I may buy the whole set as I'm too impatient for Netflix to send me the next one. The more I watch, though, the sadder I am that this show only made it through one season! I think I am halfway in love with Mal :)

I think I am halfway in love with Mal :)

I think you'll enjoy the episode titled "Trash"... :)

I think "Out of Gas" :) That was Mal's stand.

Yeah. "Out of Gas" sent me from halfway in love with Mal to all the way, for sure.

Thank you, thank you all for introducing me to this series. I just watched the final episode last night. Oh, that there were more! I can't wait until my copy of Serenity arrives. (It's only $11.99 on Amazon.com at the moment!)

If you haven't already, watch the special features on the DVD. I loved the "making of" segment -- it was so clear how much pride Joss Whedon and the cast took in their work on this wonderful show. Almost as much of a joy to watch as the show itself.

Firefly is now available on iTunes. I bought the series ($25.99) for my video iPod in advance of a trip to Japan the other week. I must have watched about 10 episodes between the flights to and back from Japan. It made two 9+ hour trips in coach class almost bearable.

Bri

Hello! I've been away for a while.

My son introduced me to Firefly about two months ago, and I was hooked from the first moment of the pilot episode. I have never identified so with a work of this kind. I don't have any accolades to add that haven't already been posted. It's almost an addiction for me - perhaps two days have gone by since I first saw the pilot that I haven't watched at least one episode (or the movie).

Sadly, I do have one down side to add, other than the standard complaint that there's not more of the show to be seen. I spent a good amount of time at (what I believe is) the most prominent of the Firefly fan sites, trying to learn as much as possible about the show and looking to connect with other fans. That proved to be a tremendous disappointment. Fans of the show call themselves "Browncoats," after the nickname of the Independent fighters in the war against the Alliance government. I was hoping to find folks who knew, believed in, or at least were honestly seeking the true spirit of independence and, ultimately, its source. Sadly, I found next to no one like that. Apart from the light chatter of online social networking, nearly every single discussion that went toward deeper, more serious philosophical territory showed that the most common view of what it means to be a Browncoat is, essentially, "liberal Democrat." Of those who disagreed with that, I'd have to say that every one of them (other than me, of course) thought that "Browncoat" means "Bush Republican." I'd estimate 95% liberal, 5% conservative. I was sneered at every time I put forth any idea that countered the prevailing views. As you might expect, far from practicing the "tolerance" and "diversity" they preach, the liberals refused to respect any views that didn't align with theirs, nor did they respect the right to hold, present, and argue for those views. (The conservatives were better, but almost undetectably.)

It's disgusting that fans of the show think the way they do, and aren't even considering beginning to try to understand the proper foundation of Browncoat-style independence.

Hello! I've been away for a while.

Welcome back!

My son introduced me to Firefly about two months ago, and I was hooked from the first moment of the pilot episode. I have never identified so with a work of this kind. I don't have any accolades to add that haven't already been posted. It's almost an addiction for me - perhaps two days have gone by since I first saw the pilot that I haven't watched at least one episode (or the movie).

Wow. Lucky you. Still a few new episodes to go.

Sadly, I do have one down side to add ... I was hoping to find folks who knew, believed in, or at least were honestly seeking the true spirit of independence and, ultimately, its source. Sadly, I found next to no one like that.

I think you can probably chalk up your bad experience to the difference between many fans' sense of life response to the movie, and the explicit philosophy that they hold. Fortunately, here on THE FORUM you can find fans who combine both such that one does not contradict the other.

p.s. Your son deserves something special for turning you on to Firefly. :(

Still a few new episodes to go.

Was that supposed to be a link? Because if there are new episodes of Firefly, I'd sure like to know about it.

Was that supposed to be a link? Because if there are new episodes of Firefly, I'd sure like to know about it.

Me too! :(

Unfortunately, I was just referring to piz seeing new episodes, new for him.

All I can add is that as much as I love Firefly, it is surpassed by Joss Whedon's biggest success, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's the best show I've ever seen on TV. If you liked Firefly, be sure to watch all seven seasons of Buffy/i].

If Firefly had had seven seasons itself, it may have gone far beyond [buffy/i]. What a crime the show was canceled before its time.

All I can add is that as much as I love Firefly, it is surpassed by Joss Whedon's biggest success, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's the best show I've ever seen on TV. If you liked Firefly, be sure to watch all seven seasons of Buffy.

I've seen quite a bit of Buffy, including all of the first three seasons (my son keeps trying to get me into it), and I just don't enjoy that show. The story lines don't engage me, and I have no connection to the characters. Very pretty girls, but that's about the only attraction for me. The same goes for Angel, Whedon's other "vampire" series.

Creatures like vampires never do it for me on screen, although I did like the first and third Blade movies somewhat; the first because it was a decent story and the third because Jessica Biel is nice to look at and Ryan Reynolds injected some comedy. On the other hand, in book form things can be very different - I found Anne Rice's vampire series fascinating (though I haven't read the last one or two books in that series).

If Firefly had had seven seasons itself, it may have gone far beyond [buffy/i]. What a crime the show was canceled before its time.

Back to Firefly: one of the most interesting things I noticed is how mature it was from the very start. Buffy takes quite a while to find its "voice," whereas Firefly really hit the ground running. You're right - the potential to become something even more amazing was very high.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

I saw the movie for this last year or before, thought it was a cool movie. Thanks to purusing the FORUM I found that it was a series first, so I rented the season. How the hell did this show get cancelled? I can't add anything more than what has already been said except to say I found it spectacular. And the cast has the best looking group of women assembled bar none. The companion is a goddess - no less.

I had been toying around with the idea of combining western and sci/fi probably about the same time this got cancelled (after I lost my head trying to combine all genres into a single book). The few people I mentioned it to thought it was a screwy idea, and here's this guy already doing it! Ha, gotta love that guy.

Great show.

A 10.

And a second wild question. Why the %&^*^&^% *&* didn't the Sci/Fi channel pick this up after FOX ditched it? Are they retarded?