Stephen Speicher

So, how's YOUR November weather?

49 posts in this topic

The Grumpy Old Men series was in the 1990s, with Matthau, Jack Lemon, Ann Margaret (yum. yum), Sophia Loren (heart goes pitter patter), and Daryl Hannah (not too bad). Those films were really funny. In one, Mattau gives something like a can opener to a kid coming by for trick or treat on Halloween. B)

Those movies remind me so much of my grandfather! My grandfather and his cousin are exactly like Walter Matthau and Jack Lemon. They grew up together pulling pranks on each other and everyone else. And they're still like that. A couple years ago, when my grandfather was in his late seventies, they were making a trip back from Florida to Pennsylvania when Walt decided that the restrooms at roadside rest-stops were unclean and refused to use them. And my grandfather decided that was fine with him and kept on driving. Walt didn't go to the bathroom for three days and ended up with a bladder infection.

B)

That's just one of the more hilarious examples, but they go on and on.

Obviously, global warming. Theocracy must be next. B)

Sure. Isn't it an obvious integration that we're on the road to hell and it's naturally getting warmer? B)

Sure. Isn't it an obvious integration that we're on the road to hell and it's naturally getting warmer? B)

Which means: the sun is really Hell, Satan and Light combined, an unholy trichotomy of suffering, temptation, and awareness which we cannot escape. All but one of us is doomed! B)

Seattle hasn't been at its best the last ... oh, 7 days or so. I think I so some blue sky a couple days ago. I treasure the memory...

Currently we are at 77 degrees in Central Florida, with a slight breeze and hint of rain.

I want to see Borat! My daughter reminded me this last weekend that it's come out now. Maybe we'll wait to rent it.

Grumpy Old Men is hilarious! I like Walter Matthau in Dennis the Menace too! B)

Today, it rained and rained and rained.

By the way, I highly recommend renting Da Ali G Show DVDs before seeing the Borat movie; the Borat character is far funnier in his original context than he is in the movie, and the movie is far funnier if one is already familiar with the Borat character. That said, I found the Borat movie to be disappointing, though it has very funny moments.

Obviously, global warming. Theocracy must be next. B)

I nominate Phil for The Most Clever Response Award on this thread. B)

Seattle hasn't been at its best the last ... oh, 7 days or so. I think I so some blue sky a couple days ago. I treasure the memory...

Today, it rained and rained and rained.

My thanks to you both. B)

But, for a mathematician I'm surprised you missed the pun in how many rooms there are in HILBERT'S Grand Doghouse.

I forgot that one. But this Hilbert doesn't get bogged down in such rationalistic paradoxes. Border collies are I2.

hehe, southcentral Virginia here. It's miserably cold. It's really not that cold, only about 40 degrees F, but there's a slow soaking rain and nasty grey skies that will freeze you to the bone. When I lived in Texas, I hated summer, but oh how I miss those triple-digit Houston summer days so much right now ... B)

It has snowed a couple times here in Ontario Canada so far. The first time it snowed, it was practically a blizzard!

Snowing sideways and such! B)

The temperature here has ranged from -4 to +15 degrees celcius. It has rained A LOT , more than usual. B)

~C~*

Checking in from north Florida: first rain in quite a while today. Ideal weather: 50's at night, 70's and sunny during the day. This is perfect for the outdoors, beach, football, swimming, and long walks with my water phobic Poodle. The Gulf beaches are gorgeous this year. And not a hurricane in sight, so far. So much for global warming, and predictors of doom and gloom.

Oh, yes, I'm seeing "Borat" tomorrow. We need a good laugh right now---

hehe, southcentral Virginia here. It's miserably cold. It's really not that cold, only about 40 degrees F, but there's a slow soaking rain and nasty grey skies that will freeze you to the bone....

That sounds like quite a few of the winter days here in Washington. B) There are times that I forget that the sky is sometimes actually blue.

I'll confirm the reports of the other Western Washingtonians here that there's been plenty of rain the last few days. Walking in my yard is now like walking on a big, over-saturated sponge. And now I'm hearing reports of all the rivers that are flooded, and that there are people who are wondering how they're going to get to the polls. But the warm (almost 60F) weather has been nice. B)

Since I like the effect of the rain (which is nice lush green scenery) I don't complain much about it - realizing that the cause is necessary for the effect. And.... there's not much danger of forest fires in this part of the state.

It has been hot and, unusually, not a breath of wind off the water. But the evenings and nights have been and are absolutely perfect. Sorry, Stephen, but nothing to gloat over here.

Thankfully, the silly season ends today and we can enjoy our beautiful weather to the fullest!

So much for human industry since the road to Hell is apparently paved with good intentions.

In Lafayette, Indiana we have a weather buffet, take your pick. In the past two weeks we've got temperatures everywhere from 20's to 60's [F]. It's been blue-skied, windy, rainy, sunny, overcast, and not-quite-snowing. Right now it's nice: low 60's, cloudless, with a little fog; a sit-on-the-patio-admiring-the-veiw-with-apple-cider kind of night that smells like winter. But it's been nice for too long [nearly a week], I'm suspicious and thinking there's going to be rain/snow soon.

That is why we are getting so much rain here in Portland. Its the beginning of a 40 day flood. Sure, its sunny in San Diego now but just wait ten days from now. I'll be floating by on my surf board. Its been too warm for any snow to drop in the mountains, but my Anthem snowboard arrived in the mail last week. B)

I've been in the U.K. since November 1 and we've had a very lovely weather here so far, although the temperatures are obviously a bit lower than in California. B)

It's pouring rain today, the day after the election. God is unhappy. The forecast is for 40 days and nights of rain.

B)

Walking in my yard is now like walking on a big, over-saturated sponge.

I know some environmentalists who would envy you. Your very own wetlands!

Walking in my yard is now like walking on a big, over-saturated sponge.
I know some environmentalists who would envy you. Your very own wetlands!

They would have him jailed. How dare he tamper with sacred ground by -- shudder -- walking on it. B)

The rain here in Oregon washed out the roads to one of the ski resorts. It is now isolated and who knows when it will be able to open.

There was a story on the news where a man lost his house. After twenty years of paying flood insurance, he decided it wasn't necessary because a new dike had been built. I guess the lessons learned from Hurricane Katrina had no impact on this guy.