Zhraath

Meditation

3 posts in this topic

I am not sure where I ought to post this topic, so I am going with psychology since it seems best.

I have recently read a book titled 'Brain Longevity' (Khalsa, M.D., Strauth) This books purpose is to teach the reader how to improve memory and cognitive function. The author suggests that one do this through proper nutritional supplementation, mental and physical exercise, and meditation. The meditation part is suggested in order to better deal with stress. I personally have been doing this for about a week now, and introspectively feel a little more calm than usual, and it seems that my mind doesnt wander as much. I have looked into some studies on meditation through the internet and havent really found much negative on the subject. My questions are; Are there any reasons not to practice meditation? What are your thoughts on meditation and why?

Clarifications- By meditating I mean:

2 : to engage in mental exercise (as concentration on one's breathing or repetition of a mantra) for the purpose of reaching a heightened level of spiritual awareness. (Webster.)

Except I dont do it for any 'spiritual awareness' but instead just relaxation and to help with focus.

Marcus Lange

My questions are; Are there any reasons not to practice meditation? What are your thoughts on meditation and why?

I don't think there is anything wrong with meditation per se, as long as you are clear on its purpose and limitations. You seem to be using it as a stress reduction method, and you do not attribute to it any mystical purpose. To that extent, meditation is just one technique among many for handling stress beyond that which is normally accommodated.

However, while they may be helpful on the level of immediacy, these sort of techniques do not address the root cause of the stress or anxiety that most seek to reduce. Unless one deals with the underlying causes -- the reasons for an inordinate amount of stress, and/or the inability to deal psychologically with the stress -- then these techniques are merely attempts to patch up the consequences of something more fundamental. And, as often is the case with fundamental problems, underlying causes can become progressively worse, so that the meditation or other technique used eventually becomes ineffective unless the underlying causes are addressed.

As always, I appreciate your input Mr. Speicher :D

Marcus Lange