piz

Onions Are Evil

47 posts in this topic

Yes, that's right, onions are evil. I despise them - their taste, their texture, their smell, everything about them.

I always say that if I were God, I'd get rid of onions. Then things like disease, Kant, bad haircuts, and so on. But onions first.

This is the only absolute, context-free, intrinsic truth in the universe: onions are evil. Learn it, know it, live it.

barf.gif

You've obviously never had Pork sandwiches in Quito, or a Shrimp Ceviche in Guayaquil, or a bistec en Guayaquil, or a great portion of the chinese food in Toronto ... I'm serious.

Jose Gainza

Yes, that's right, onions are evil. I despise them - their taste, their texture, their smell, everything about them.

I always say that if I were God, I'd get rid of onions. Then things like disease, Kant, bad haircuts, and so on. But onions first.

This is the only absolute, context-free, intrinsic truth in the universe: onions are evil. Learn it, know it, live it.

barf.gif

Now this is just heresy, for the great Flying Spaghetti Monster--Peace be upon him--has been served in dishes containing sliced onions, so surely onions must be one part of his great and wonderful work?

http://www.inkycircus.com/photos/uncategorized/fsm_1.jpg

But seriously, a well-cooked onion, even on its own, is absolutely positively delicious :D

Secondly, come down to the South and have some Onion-Rings (just bring your heart-medication).

So what do you put on your Philly cheesesteak sandwich? And none of this nonsense that "Fried onions aren't really onions."

Have you been eating white onions Piz? I know, they're tasteless and sour, only good for cooking with other things. Try some green onions [otherwise known as chives], they're sweeter with a flavour all their own.

But seriously, a well-cooked onion, even on its own, is absolutely positively delicious :D

Absolutely agree.

Tear saving tips:

Chill the onion for at least 30 minutes before cutting. The sulfuric compounds (which cause tearing) contained in the onion do not react with the air as quickly when they are cold.

If possible cut, slice or chop the onion as much as possible before removing the root end because that is where the sulfur is most heavily concentrated.

Or

Wear ski or swim goggles :D

Have you ever tried sweet onions, like Vidalia or Walla Walla?

No, I hadn't heard of those before. Do tell, how do they compare to the regular white garden onions?

[...]

That's almost as bad as wheat allergies. Couldn't you have picked a more convenient (less ubiquitous) food to hate, like, kumquats?

My digestive system heartily endorses the subject line of this topic thread: "onions are evil". Given that onion intolerance is fairly common, I have found it surprisingly difficult to locate research reports on the molecular basis of this phenomenon. Does anyone have reference material on this topic?

For those of you claiming there is anything good about onions, all I can say is: Rationalists! Kantians! Altruists! Mystics! giggle.gif

You've obviously never had Pork sandwiches in Quito, or a Shrimp Ceviche in Guayaquil, or a bistec en Guayaquil, or a great portion of the chinese food in Toronto ... I'm serious.
Nope, I've never had any of those. Maybe some day they'll change my mind. For example, thanks to J.R.R. Tolkien, I long ago learned the truth of the Divine Perfection of Mushrooms. Not likely in this case, though.

Now this is just heresy, for the great Flying Spaghetti Monster--Peace be upon him--has been served in dishes containing sliced onions, so surely onions must be one part of his great and wonderful work?

http://www.inkycircus.com/photos/uncategorized/fsm_1.jpg

Secondly, come down to the South and have some Onion-Rings (just bring your heart-medication).

I, too, worship the FSM, to the point where my finest cooking creation is my world-famous spaghetti & meatballs (and I'm a really good cook, so that's saying something). But the heresy would be including onions, not leaving them out. I've never had a sauce with onions that was any good.

So what do you put on your Philly cheesesteak sandwich? And none of this nonsense that "Fried onions aren't really onions."
Oh, fried onions are most definitely onions - yukko. I put mushrooms bowing.gif on my cheesesteak, thank you very much! (And hot peppers - woo!)

Have you been eating white onions Piz? I know, they're tasteless and sour, only good for cooking with other things. Try some green onions [otherwise known as chives], they're sweeter with a flavour all their own.
Hm. "Eating ... onions ..."

*smack* You're babbling! You're not making any sense!

Chives: onions masquerading as a harmless garnish. Ick.

Tear saving tips:

Chill the onion for at least 30 minutes before cutting. The sulfuric compounds (which cause tearing) contained in the onion do not react with the air as quickly when they are cold.

If possible cut, slice or chop the onion as much as possible before removing the root end because that is where the sulfur is most heavily concentrated.

Or

Wear ski or swim goggles :D

You can also hold them under water (in a deep pan, for instance) while you cut them.

(I have suffered to cook with onions for people important enough to me. See how selfless I can be? miffed.gif)

That's almost as bad as wheat allergies. Couldn't you have picked a more convenient (less ubiquitous) food to hate, like, kumquats?
It's a burden. The weird looks, the shunning, the outright persecution...

OK, I have a confession to make: There are extremely rare occasions where I'll tolerate the presence of onion-derived ... stuff ... in my food. I put chunky salsa in a blender to make it smooth and remove at least the appearance of onions (I don't like "chunky" at all, usually, and if there are too many onions in the salsa there's no saving it in any case). I like sour cream and chive dip, though just the flavor - I try to avoid picking up any actual chives when I dip.

And, as close to heresy as I'll come, I use onion powder in my world-famous spaghetti and meatballs. Not much, but it's in there. There, I said it. blush.gif

They're still evil, though. Do your worst! happymob.gif

My digestive system heartily endorses the subject line of this topic thread: "onions are evil". Given that onion intolerance is fairly common, I have found it surprisingly difficult to locate research reports on the molecular basis of this phenomenon. Does anyone have reference material on this topic?

I've tried to do a little research on this subject as well. My sister (who is a nurse and big on nutrition) is looking in to it for me. If she finds out anything useful I'll let you know.

I can't eat onions, onion powder, dried onions, or onion of any kind. It's gotten to a point that I have to be careful when eating out too. Some people have suggested papaya, but it doesn't help me. I have some food allergies, and wonder whether this intolerance is due to a lack of anything else.

OK, I have a confession to make: There are extremely rare occasions where I'll tolerate the presence of onion-derived ... stuff ... in my food. I put chunky salsa in a blender to make it smooth and remove at least the appearance of onions (I don't like "chunky" at all, usually, and if there are too many onions in the salsa there's no saving it in any case). I like sour cream and chive dip, though just the flavor - I try to avoid picking up any actual chives when I dip.

And, as close to heresy as I'll come, I use onion powder in my world-famous spaghetti and meatballs. Not much, but it's in there. There, I said it. blush.gif

They're still evil, though. Do your worst! happymob.gif

Do you have a similar reaction to garlic? So far I haven't. That would KILL me. :D

Do you have a similar reaction to garlic? So far I haven't. That would KILL me. :D
No, garlic is the Holy of Holies! I wouldn't want to live without it.

What I don't understand is someone who says, "How can you like garlic and not onions? They're basically the same." At that point my brain goes into shock and I pass out, typically for a few days.

The same? THE SAME?!?! Some people should be killed twice...

Hear, hear! Ordering your Philly steak "wit'out" is a crime!

No, I hadn't heard of those before. Do tell, how do they compare to the regular white garden onions?

I have some distant relatives who are big Vidalia growers. I think they were the first to offer climate controlled storage.

The Vidalia Onion is a Georgia-grown yellow granex hybrid known for its sweet, mild flavor. Vidalias were first grown in Toombs County, Georgia

Vidalia Onions have developed an international reputation as the “world’s sweetest onion.” Their mild flavor is due to the unique combination of soils and climate found in the 20-county production area.

Vidalia Onions are harvested from late April through mid-June. Retailers usually have fresh Vidalia Onions available through mid-July. Due to the induction of controlled atmosphere storage, stored Vidalia Onions are available through December.

Every web site I checked about Vidalia onions states a farmer discovered that they were sweet in 1931 which I find hard to believe that no one had noticed their sweetness prior to this. Texas produces more Bermuda onions (also sweet, but not as sweet as the Vidalias in my opinion), but seem to be less well known.

Also, Dear Mr. Piz would find it extremely difficult to live in Louisiana where onions, celery and bell pepper are know as The Cajun Trinity. :D

Lady Brin

---------------------------------

I can't eat onions, onion powder, dried onions, or onion of any kind. It's gotten to a point that I have to be careful when eating out too.

I'm curious, what is the reaction like?

Lady Brin