piz

Favorite Xmas Songs

52 posts in this topic

Just wondering what everyone's favorite Xmas songs are. Some of my secular favs (in no particular order, and with some preferred versions in parens):

• Silver Bells
  • Winter Wonderland
  • It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas
  • There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays (Perry Como, I think)
  • I'll Be Home for Christmas
  • White Christmas (Bing Crosby)
  • The Christmas Song (Nat King Cole)
  • It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year (Andy Williams)

(I always wonder, though, where the "scary ghost stories" line in that last one comes from. Since when are ghost stories associated with Xmas?)

I also have to add one of my very favorites, even though it's religious: O Come All Ye Faithful. Thanks to the three years of Latin I took from 7th to 9th grade, I actually prefer it in the Latin: Adeste Fideles. Despite the religion, I find the song quite stirring.

My two favorites are:

1) Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, as recorded by Rowlf of the Muppets with John Denver (1979). This version really captures a great mood that is internally-peaceful and introspective. Nifty pianowork on the part of the dog, too. If anyone knows where I can get this version in MP3, I'd be interested to find out.

2) O Holy Night, any non-English version. I think this is one of the most beautiful Christmas songs in terms of music composition, but the lyrics are completely religious. Fortunately, foreign-language versions of this song can help alleviate that problem. By the way, according to Wikipedia, this song may have been the first piece of music to be broadcast via radio (it was played on the violin).

-Jared

I've been in various choirs over the years and these are some of my favorites:

"Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day" (traditional English carol) -- lyrics even more nonsensical than those of most religious songs, but the lilting melody, particularly when sung by one or more sopranos, is lovely.

"Good Christian Men, Rejoice" (also rendered as "In Dulci Jubilo") -- again, a lilting, spirited melody.

Ralph Vaughan Williams' Fantasia on Christmas Carols is a lush and beautiful setting of several religious carols with a fun organ part and some lovely bass solos.

On the secular side, I love to hear just about any old-time version of "The Christmas Song," and I confess that I love The Waitresses' song "Christmas Wrapping" (about two single people who've been trying to connect all year, and finally run into each other on Christmas Eve at the supermarket).

And as for instrumentals, there's nothing I love so much as the Nutcracker Suite.

I'm not a big fan of Christmas music, but, what's a Christmas without Spike Jones:

Jingle Bells (in pig latin),

My Birthday Comes on Christmas,

Nuttin' For Christmas,

and

(I'm the) Angel in the Christmas Play

But, my all time favorite is Stan Freberg's Green Christmas:

"Deck the halls with advertising,

Fa, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la.

'Tis the time for merchandising,

Profit never needs a reason,

Get the money, it's the season,

Fa, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la."

hehehe, here are some of my favorite secular Christmas songs:

Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer - I'm not sure who sings it tho. Upbeat and very funny :D

Little Saint Nick - The Beach Boys. I love the vocals .... :D

And my all-time favorite Christmas song ....

The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late) - Alvin and the Chipmunks. This was one of my favorite shows growing up and the song captures the eager anticipation of waiting for Christmas morning to open presents and have a feast. :D

-On a side note, Trans-Siberian Orchestra makes some good Christmas music - but some of the lyrics are quite altruistic. The music is a mix of traditional Christmas songs and original music, both with an edge of rock and sometimes jazz. I like it a lot more than Mannheim Steamroller, which it is often compared to. :D

The best Christmas song ever is Carol of the Bells. I like the versions done by choirs and orchestras [especially The Robert Shaw Chorale version] but Mannheim Steamroller's version ... :D . Ripping guitar chords and drums are nice but how anyone can combine them with such a delicate song, one that feels like silver bells chiming, is beyond me.

Some other favourites [in particular order]:

It Must Have Been Old Santa - Harry Connick Jr.

Have Yourself A Merry Little Xmas - Frank Sinatra

Santa Baby - Eartha Kitt

Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee

Jared, I love O Holy Night also. It's very powerful, dramatic. It's beautiful in any language. Although I think there's a little to be said for the English lyrics. When taken completely out of context they're quite beautiful. The phrase "the soul felt it's worth" has always thrilled me.

The best Christmas song ever is Carol of the Bells. I like the versions done by choirs and orchestras [especially The Robert Shaw Chorale version] but Mannheim Steamroller's version ... :D . Ripping guitar chords and drums are nice but how anyone can combine them with such a delicate song, one that feels like silver bells chiming, is beyond me.

Some other favourites [in particular order]:

It Must Have Been Old Santa - Harry Connick Jr.

Have Yourself A Merry Little Xmas - Frank Sinatra

Santa Baby - Eartha Kitt

Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee

Jared, I love O Holy Night also. It's very powerful, dramatic. It's beautiful in any language. Although I think there's a little to be said for the English lyrics. When taken completely out of context they're quite beautiful. The phrase "the soul felt it's worth" has always thrilled me.

Well, Aurelia, here is an attempt at improving the lyrics to

O Holy Night

O holy night! The stars are brightly shining.

It is the night of our mind's sacred birth.

Long lay the flesh in wayward, aimless pining,

Till thought was reared and the soul felt its worth.

A thrill of hope, the waiting world rejoices,

For round us breaks a new and glorious morn.

Fall on your knees! O hear the reasoned voices!

O night divine, O night when Man was born.

O holy night---O night---O night divine!

Revised, by Brian Faulkner

O Holy Night

I adore your improvement! As a teenager I use to go caroling with a church group. Why they wanted me is unknown because I can't carry a tune in a bucket - and I've gotten worse. I was just singing your version outloud and when I hit the very dramatic ♫♫Fall on your knees!♫♫, both of my kitties ran off. :D

It is always a

♫♫Joy to The World

Brian was born!

May he continue

To write. ♫♫

reading your poetry.

Lady Brin

---------------------------

I adore your improvement! As a teenager I use to go caroling with a church group. Why they wanted me is unknown because I can't carry a tune in a bucket - and I've gotten worse. I was just singing your version outloud and when I hit the very dramatic ♫♫Fall on your knees!♫♫, both of my kitties ran off. :D

It is always a

♫♫Joy to The World

Brian was born!

May he continue

To write. ♫♫

reading your poetry.

Lady Brin

---------------------------

Thanks a lot! Try getting a lid for the bucket :D

Well, Aurelia, here is an attempt at improving the lyrics to

O Holy Night

Bryan, that's gorgeous! It encapsualtes exactly what I loved about that song as a child. Thank you so much, I have a new favourite. 639.gif

Bryan, that's gorgeous! It encapsualtes exactly what I loved about that song as a child. Thank you so much, I have a new favourite. 639.gif

You're welcome. Thank YOU for inadvertently giving me the idea to do it. I read your post and thought that you were right---it is really beautiful music. It just needs some meaningful words so that one can put the focus of one's whole mind and soul into the singing of it, without having to lower one's focus for the meaningless words.

You're welcome. Thank YOU for inadvertently giving me the idea to do it. I read your post and thought that you were right---it is really beautiful music. It just needs some meaningful words so that one can put the focus of one's whole mind and soul into the singing of it, without having to lower one's focus for the meaningless words.

However, now I'm making a change.

O Holy Night (revised)

It is the night of the mind's sacred birth.

Rise from your knees! O hear the reasoned voices!

O holy night----o night----O night divine!

Brian Faulkner

Well, as a classically-trained and former Opera singer myself, there's just something about Cantique de Noël (O Holy Night) that just "sends me" at Christmas time. This has very little to do with the actual words, whether in French or English. Rather, it's that glorious melody! Here's a particularly beautiful rendition (in Swedish, as it happens) by the great tenor Jussi Björling, courtesy of YouTube:

Cantique de Noël

I find that there are so many other wonderful holiday songs it's difficult to single them out. As a best quick effort, here are a few of my favorites:

The Christmas Song (Manhattan Transfer)

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (Judy Garland)

White Christmas (Bing Crosby)

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow

Snowfall (Manhattan Transfer)

Jingle Bell Rock

Etc. . . .

Some new words for another old hymn.

O COME, ALL WHO REASON

O come, all who reason,

Thinkers self-reliant.

O come ye, O come ye,

To sing through the town!

Come and behold them---

All our works of profiting.

O come, let us behold them,

O come, let us behold them---

Buildings of might.

Now sing, all ye merchants,

Sing in exultation.

Now sing ye, O sing ye,

Of all you have done!

Sing of your judgment---

Selfish, egoistical.

O come, let us behold them---

Men full of pride!

Sing choirs of workers,

Sing congratulations.

O sing ye, O sing ye,

For steps you have climbed!

Sing of your effort

To be calm and competent.

O come, let us adore them,

O come, let us adore them,

O come, let us adore them---

Joyous and free!

Brian Faulkner

Of the single-artist Christmas CDs we have – the best are:

Sacred Arias Andrea Bocelli

Christmas Portrait The Carpenters

Let It Snow Rosemary Clooney

White Christmas Bing Crosby

A Charlie Brown Christmas Vince Guaraldi Trio

Making Spirits Bright Dean Martin

(However, this CD is out of print and expensive.)

But this one

Christmas with Dino Dean Martin

is currently in print, far more reasonably priced, and contains the same songs, albeit with repeated (alternate) versions of Let It Snow, Winter Wonderland, and White Christmas. Also, Baby, It’s Cold Outside, is apparently sung with someone other than Ann Margaret, which, in my opinion, wouldn’t make much difference to the CD as a whole.

O Holy Night Luciano Pavarotti

A Jolly Christmas from Frank Sinatra

Merry Christmas Johnny Mathis

Nutcracker Tchaikovsky

Ave Maria Kiri Te Kanawa

This Time of the Year Steve Tyrell

(Steve Tyrell has a gravelly voice, but I like it.)

The two best (not perfect) “various artist” compilation Christmas CDs we have are:

Ultimate Christmas – Arista

The Most Fabulous Christmas Album Ever – BMG/RCAVictor

A few other compilation CDs that are mostly good, with occasional banality or clinkers are:

A 1940s Christmas Stanyan Records

Santa’s Bag: An All Star Jazz Christmas Telarc

All-Star Christmas Sony

And only if you like the music from all those old TV Christmas specials:

Rudolph Frosty and Friends: Favorite Christmas Songs Sony or

Billboard Presents: Family Christmas Classics Kid/Rhino

During the off-season, I got a bargain-priced Christmas CD by Richard Hayman’s Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra, which is fairly nice, and has one very pretty original composition by Richard Hayman, called Winter Waltz.

Joy to the World Richard Hayman’s Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra

We have a bunch of Christmas CDs on their way from Amazon that looked interesting to me. I hope they're all good. The Now That’s What I Call Christmas series is a mix of old standards and newer material, which I hope will be a good way for me to find some good newer songs, or new versions of old songs, without (hopefully) becoming overwhelmed by mediocrity. The ones on their way are:

A Merry Christmas with Bing Crosby & The Andrews Sisters

Johnny Mathis: A 50th Anniversary Christmas Celebration

Now That’s What I Call Christmas various

Now That’s What I Call Christmas: The Signature Collection various

Now That’s What I Call Christmas, Vol. 3 various

Personal Christmas Collection Doris Day

Swinging Big Band Christmas various

Under the Mistletoe various

Voice of Christmas Bing Crosby

For me, it just wouldn't be Christmas without Johnny Mathis. I have many Christmas favorites by him, but couldn’t do without Sleigh Ride. Nor would it be Christmas for me without hearing Feliz Navidad sung by Jose Feliciano. A few years ago I decided that this is the happiest Christmas song I’ve ever heard.

Here is a list of many Christmas songs I love. With one or two exceptions, we have at least one version, and in most cases, many versions of these songs. I’ve listed some favorite versions, but do not have my inventory memorized, and tried to keep most songs to just one line; so – far from all of my favorite versions are listed. Even then, it’s a pretty long list. And I’m sure that I’ve left some songs out. Also (believe it or not), I have favorites that we don’t own, and have normally listed just the favorites that we do own.

Adeste Fideles (O Come All Ye Faithful) – Andrea Bocelli, Luciano Pavarotti, others

Angels We Have Heard on High – a good brass band, a good choir, The Carpenters

Auld Lang Syne – Guy Lombardo

Ave Maria (Schubert) – Andrea Bocelli, Luciano Pavarotti, Kiri Te Kanawa, others

Ave Maria (Bach) – Andrea Bocelli, Luciano Pavarotti

Baby, It’s Cold Outside – only one really good version – Ray Charles & Betty Carter

Blue Christmas Johnny Mathis, others.

The Christmas Song – Nat ‘King’ Cole, Mel Torme, Johnny Mathis, others

Cantique de Noel or O Holy Night – Bocelli, Pavarotti, & Johnny Mathis (for starters)

Caroling, Caroling – Nat ‘King’ Cole

Carol of the Bells – any decent choir

Christmas Don’t Be Late – Alvin & the Chipmunks

Christmas Time is Here – Vince Guaraldi Trio

The Christmas Waltz – Frank Sinatra, Rosemary Clooney

Dance of the Mirlitons (Nutcracker) – London Symphony Orchestra

Dance of the Sugar-Plum Fairy (Nutcracker) – London Symphony Orchestra

Feliz Navidad – Jose Feliciano

Hallelujah Chorus (Handel’s Messiah) – Winchester Cathedral Choir, or any great choir

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – Judy Garland, Karen Carpenter, Johnny Mathis

Holly Jolly Christmas – Burl Ives

I Saw Three Ships – Nat ‘King’ Cole

I’ll Be Home for Christmas – Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Johnny Mathis, others.

It Came Upon a Midnight Clear – Johnny Mathis & others

It’s Beginning to Look Like Christmasmany good versions – Johnny Mathis #1

(There’s No Place Like) Home for the Holidays – Perry Como

I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm – Billie Holiday, Dean Martin

Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring – any decent choir

Joy to the World – Johnny Mathis, Whitney Houston (different!), good choirs

Let It Snow – Johnny Mathis, Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, many

Little St. Nick – The Beach Boys

Marshmallow World – Dean Martin

Merry Christmas Darling – Karen Carpenter

My Favorite Things – Julie Andrews first, and there are other good ones

O Come All Ye Faithful (Adeste Fideles) – Luther Van Dross

O Little Town of Bethlehem – Johnny Mathis, Karen Carpenter

Panis Angelicus (Franck) – Andrea Bocelli, Kiri Te Kanawa, Luciano Pavarotti

Pas De Deux: Dance of the Prince & Sugar-Plum Fairy (Nutcracker) – LSO

Please Come Home for Christmas – Eagles

Silent Night – a short a cappella version by Boys II Men, one by Johnny Cash

Silver Bells – Johnny Mathis, Burl Ives, many others

Sleigh Ride – Johnny Mathis & Richard Hayman’s Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra

Song for a Winter’s Night – Sarah McLachlan

Trepak: Russian Dance (Nutcracker) – London Symphony Orchestra

Waltz of the Flowers (Nutcracker) – London Symphony Orchestra

What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve? – Ella Fitzgerald, others

White Christmas – Bing Crosby, many others

Winter Waltz – Richard Hayman’s Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra

Winter Wonderlandmany singers do good versions. Aretha Franklin’s is cute.

At the moment, we have 47 Christmas CDs (not counting the ones on their way from Amazon), so that averages out to about one favorite song per CD. But there are often multiple great versions of some songs, so there are more than this really. Some CDs have many favorites, and many have none. Even if a CD is fine to listen to, it may not feature a great version of a favorite song.

One may well wonder how many repeats of White Christmas sung by Bing Crosby, The Christmas Song sung by Nat ‘King’ Cole, and Santa Baby sung by Eartha Kitt one household can have. The answer is: many. These songs (though I like them) are, I think, repeated more often than any other songs in our collection. The most popular songs, and the most popular versions of the most popular songs, are repeated over and over on all the different CDs which feature various artists.

Recently, I think I’ve been hearing more bad versions of good Christmas songs. And so far, the main problem has been that the singer performs in an utterly listless and/or whiney manner, and generally at a slower tempo than is appropriate to the song. Slow, listless, and whiney seem to be the stylistic rage in singing right now, regardless of whether or not a song warrants such a style. And even when that style can be a legitimate choice, it’s currently way over-used.

On the bright side, some Christmas songs that I did not used to like have grown on me. For instance, when I first heard Mele Kalikimaka it was in the “too silly” category. But somehow, after hearing it enough, I now think it’s a really fun song. I’m not sure exactly how this happens, because some bad songs just get worse.

The worst offenders, with two exceptions, shall remain nameless. Many of those I consider bad involve one of two things. The first is, adults who are supposed to sound like children. The two songs like this which are bad enough to name are Spike Jones singing All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth, and Jimmy Boyd singing I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus. If I ever hear those versions of those two songs again it will be too soon. And that was true the very first time I heard them.

I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus was better sung by an actual, very talented child, i.e. Michael Jackson in his youth; which brings me to the second kind of song that I don’t like. These feature children who are not exceptionally talented. It’s supposed to be cute I guess, and every once in a while it is. But more often it isn’t.

Finally, here are the (deep and meaningful :D) lyrics to a fun song by Louis Prima which appears on a Christmas CD I purchased recently, which (unfortunately) only has a few good songs on it. This is one if them.

SHAKE HANDS WITH SANTA CLAUS

Shake hands (shake hands, shake hands) with Santa Claus.

If you want some candy, I’ll bring you the candy,

shake hands with Santa Claus.

I love you, I love you, and I’m gonna bring

some candy, and flowers, and everything.

If berries are pleasin’ when they’re out of season,

I love you, I love you, and I’d walk a mile

to bring you the berries, and watch you smile.

Oh, just to share a love like yours,

what miracles I would do.

I’d make a rainbow chase the storm;

when the weather gets cold, I’ll make it warm.

If you want a cottage, I’ll furnish the cottage,

I love you, I love you, I give you my all –

I’m like a genie at your beck and call.

If you do the dreaming, I’ll do the scheming,

[instrumental break]

Oh, just to win a love like yours

I’d follow you to Capri.

I’d kiss you on the streets of Rome,

then we’d eat scungill’ and fly back home.

If you want bananas, some great big bananas,

Shake hands with Santa Claus.

Oh, I love you, I love you, and I’m gonna bring

bananas, pianas, and everything.

If you do the dreaming, I’ll do the scheming,

Shake hands (shake hands, shake hands) with Santa Claus.

Of the single-artist Christmas CDs we have – the best are: ...

That is some Christmas music collection! I'll bet Christmas is a joyous time of the year at the Rose Lake household. :D

Merry Christmas.

Well, as a classically-trained and former Opera singer myself, there's just something about Cantique de Noël (O Holy Night) that just "sends me" at Christmas time.

I want to send a very sincere thank you to Vespasiano for his link to Jussi Björling's Holy Night (Cantique de Noël). Once discovered, I have been listening to it over and over. I just can't stop. Merry Christmas to Vespasiano and everyone!! :D

That's a heck of a list, Rose! I think that means you like Chrismas. :D

I have a few favorite XMas songs.

White Christmas by Crosby has to be my favorite

Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire

Frosty The Snow Man, Burl Ives.

I think I like these songs, because they put me in the mindset of Chrismas. There is no doubting the joyousness of Chrismas. It blows away all other holidays on that count.

And, not to be forgotten:

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch.

You really are a heel.

You're as cuddly as a cactus,

You're as charming as an eel.

Mr. Grinch.

You're a bad banana

With a greasy black peel.

You're a monster, Mr. Grinch.

Your heart's an empty hole.

Your brain is full of spiders,

You've got garlic in your soul.

Mr. Grinch.

I wouldn't touch you, with a

thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole.

You're a vile one, Mr. Grinch.

You have termites in your smile.

You have all the tender sweetness

Of a seasick crocodile.

Mr. Grinch.

Given the choice between the two of you

I'd take the seasick crockodile.

You're a foul one, Mr. Grinch.

You're a nasty, wasty skunk.

Your heart is full of unwashed socks

Your soul is full of gunk.

Mr. Grinch.

The three words that best describe you,

are, and I quote: "Stink. Stank. Stunk."

You're a rotter, Mr. Grinch.

You're the king of sinful sots.

Your heart's a dead tomato splot

With moldy purple spots,

Mr. Grinch.

Your soul is an apalling dump heap overflowing

with the most disgraceful assortment of deplorable

rubbish imaginable,

Mangled up in tangled up knots.

You nauseate me, Mr. Grinch.

With a nauseaus super-naus.

You're a crooked jerky jockey

And you drive a crooked horse.

Mr. Grinch.

You're a three decker saurkraut and toadstool

sandwich

With arsenic sauce.

Copyright © 1957, Dr. Seuss

Sweet. :D

Trivia note: that was sung by Thurl Ravenscroft, the same man who voices Tony the Tiger of Frosted Flakes fame.
I should have said "voiced:" Ravenscroft passed away in 2005.

I think I like these songs, because they put me in the mindset of Chrismas. There is no doubting the joyousness of Chrismas. It blows away all other holidays on that count.

And, not to be forgotten:

[Lyrics to You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch]

Sweet. :D

I do love Christmas, especially the music. The Grinch song is on one of the new CDs I've ordered! Also, the official name for "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire" is The Christmas Song, which is definitely in my list. It's THE Christmas song for sure, i.e. one of the most beautiful, enduring, and popular Christmas songs. And I now have a very nice new (to me) version of it by Sammy Davis Jr. which appears on the same CD as the Louis Prima song. Beautiful.

Rose Lake's list of Christmas songs is outstanding. One name missing from the list, as far as I can tell, is Andy Williams. I grew up watching his Christmas Specials, so I can't have a Christmas without his songs, especially The Most Wonderful Time of the Year. I also like Johnny Mathis and Nat King Cole. Jerry Vale is another I like that I didn't see listed. And my favorite version of Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! is by Doris Day.

Rose Lake's list of Christmas songs is outstanding. One name missing from the list, as far as I can tell, is Andy Williams. I grew up watching his Christmas Specials, so I can't have a Christmas without his songs, especially The Most Wonderful Time of the Year. I also like Johnny Mathis and Nat King Cole. Jerry Vale is another I like that I didn't see listed. And my favorite version of Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! is by Doris Day.

[bold added.]

Uh oh! A crooner I don't have on CD (that I know of). I wonder if I can hold off on a remedy for this problem until next year. Hmmm. Maybe, but... I did look at the cover of one of Andy Williams' CDs, and I thought, "I wonder what he sounds like? He seems to be pretty popular." But I didn't listen to any samples, because I already had so much on order (one of them a Doris Day CD, so I hope Let It Snow is on there). I decided not to tempt myself anymore (on that day anyway). But that was yesterday... :D

I think I'll take a little cruise over to Amazon, just to look.

I think I like these songs, because they put me in the mindset of Chrismas.

I do know how to spell ChrisTmas. Seriously, I do!

How'd that happen? :D