Oakes

Visual Islam: A picture's worth a thousand words.

14 posts in this topic

I can't believe I forgot to add: This site had very disturbing images. Do not proceed if you are sensitive!

I've made a new mini-site this morning I thought I'd share with everyone...

http://psuobjectivism.com/islam

Any comments, suggestions or criticism are welcome.

I greatly admire the work and effort you put into this. Some of these horrors I was not aware. The continual rationalizations, such as the discussions at Frontline about the death of Princess Misha'al bint Fahd al Saud, that Islam is not evil never ceases to amaze me. How odd that Saudi women are killed because of disgrace while the Saudi Princes are openly drinking and fornicating in Bahrain, the "country covered by a black cloud that Allah cannot see."

Which is more ridiculous - a black cloud or a virgin birth?

Thank you; I hope you will continue to expand it.

Lady Brin

---------------------------

Any comments, suggestions or criticism are welcome.

I see that the pictures are part of your Penn State Objectivist Club website. I wonder how long it will take for political correctness to kick in? Are there Muslim groups on campus? If you would, let us know of any protests or other actions against the site.

p.s. The link from your main page, "A picture’s worth a thousand words," does not take me to the pictures page. (I'm using Firefox, if that helps.)

p.p.s. I see you are getting more proficient as a webmaster. When clicking on one of the pictures, the way it gets displayed is a pretty cool effect.

How odd that Saudi women are killed because of disgrace while the Saudi Princes are openly drinking and fornicating in Bahrain, the "country covered by a black cloud that Allah cannot see."
I've never heard the metaphor, but it sounds like an apt one. :D Thanks for your complements.
Are there Muslim groups on campus?
Yep, there is the Muslim Student Association. After a little searching, I found a local newspaper article where one of their members responded to the Danish cartoon controversy by saying: "There is a certain limit to where free speech can take you. For them to go and disrespect our prophet is unacceptable."

Yikes!

p.s. The link from your main page, "A picture’s worth a thousand words," does not take me to the pictures page. (I'm using Firefox, if that helps.)
That's okay, I have a big button on the sidebar that links to it.

I can't believe I forgot to add: This site had very disturbing images. Do not proceed if you are sensitive!

It would be helpful if you added some information in the captions, such as the countries involved.

I'm glad you're doing it. It's important in the face of dhimmitude on campuses to stand up to them.

My only recommendation would be a paragraph somewhere encapsulating your assessment of the situation, because while a picture is valuable, words can provide a conceptual level assessment as to why it is bad. Perhaps contrast it with a rational, life supporting civilization to make the issue starker.

You do have links, but I'll bet more people would read a short paragraph, than click on a link to a longer article.

It would be helpful if you added some information in the captions, such as the countries involved.

Thanks I will do my best to include them. I believe the pedo pictures are from Afghanistan, but I'll have to check back on that.

I am not sure where the child mutilation pictures are from, though I did modify one of them to include commentary on the Prophet:

A Shiite mother here slits her child's forehead. Just as the Prophet Mohammed committed acts of genocidal murder against Jewish tribes in Medina, true Muslim believers can also be violent and abusive against their own young.

If ever anyone suggests that the nature of Islam is peaceful, don't bother trying to quote violent passages; just point out what the Prophet himself did. That's what I'm trying to do as much as I can in the captions.

My only recommendation would be a paragraph somewhere encapsulating your assessment of the situation, because while a picture is valuable, words can provide a conceptual level assessment as to why it is bad. Perhaps contrast it with a rational, life supporting civilization to make the issue starker.
I was thinking about creating a contrasting gallery, like "Visual America" or "Visual Objectivism," but I dunno. I may include a paragraph of some sort later on, though I was hoping to keep words down to a minimum to direct all focus on the pictures.

Good gallery Oakes, disturbing. Be prepared for people telling you that this is not "typical" Muslim behavior, so a continuous editorial policy might be to think of ways to emphasize the commonplace nature of what you show. Like, you can put up a caption for a picture, and emphasize its arbitrary and uncontroversial nature: "A woman walks in the morning to the store, to get some milk. A gang of hooligans seize her and string her upon a tree. She continues hanging there for two weeks." Something like that (as long as it's what really happened) will show how abrupt and commonplace such a thing might be, that it completely undercuts our very capacity to live and be human, and that the government does little or nothing about it.

I was thinking about creating a contrasting gallery, like "Visual America" or "Visual Objectivism," but I dunno. I may include a paragraph of some sort later on, though I was hoping to keep words down to a minimum to direct all focus on the pictures.

Oakes, perhaps, to keep words down to a minimum, you might try short identifying phrases which stick in the mind, as, for instance on the bloodied baby----"The slice of the savage"; for the hands---"Hands holding no more bread"; for adultery---"Death for love"; and for those poor young girls---"Loss of life, love and happiness to inferior beast".

Thank you for your work and aim and effort.

I was thinking about creating a contrasting gallery, like "Visual America" or "Visual Objectivism," but I dunno.

I would strongly encourage the "Visual America" companion to contrast with the brutality and irrationality so apparent in "Visual Islam." Perhaps something that focuses on American production and scientific accomplishments.

I would strongly encourage the "Visual America" companion to contrast with the brutality and irrationality so apparent in "Visual Islam." Perhaps something that focuses on American production and scientific accomplishments.

I'm not sure that will strike the fence sitters emotionally, as much as a contrast in living style will. For example, a little kid being fitted out in a suicide jacket, and another engaged in joyful frolic. A woman in a "tent" walking behind a man, and a woman dancing and dining, with a smile on her face.

Whatever remains of humanity lies within them, will respond more how others live, than to factories I believe.

You want to show them the cause of our life style, but they are not advanced enough to make the connection to the result. However, a picture that they can say "I want that" to, I think is more likely to work.

"Visual America" is a brilliant idea. A single good, contrasting pair could get your site onto the more popular radar screens: Digg, BoingBoing etc. So, all the best with that.