piz

Coffee

48 posts in this topic

I LOVE the smell of coffee. I can stand around and breathe it in all day. However, I do not like the taste. Why is that? Is there anything I can do to change that? It's the kind of thing I wish I liked, because of the wonderful aroma, but I just don't.

I LOVE the smell of coffee. I can stand around and breathe it in all day. However, I do not like the taste. Why is that? Is there anything I can do to change that? It's the kind of thing I wish I liked, because of the wonderful aroma, but I just don't.

You might try different varieties. Some are much more acidic than others for example. I like it straight black but most people add cream/sugar; try it both ways.

Add a teaspoon of your favorite-smellin' coffee to a gallon of whiskey, stir well, then pour yourself a drink.

If that thar don't cure the problem, try addin' some gin. :D

I used to not really care for coffee...then I became a college-student :D:D

But seriously, put lots of creamer and sugar in it until you like it, then with time slowly wean yourself off of the sweeteners and you will find yourself with an acquired taste for it :D

Also, there are a thousand and one different ways to enjoy coffee. I LOVE to mix coffee with some milk, sweetener, and vanilla-flavored protein shake powder, to create a "Carlos-brand guiltless vanilla cappuccino".

The next thing I want to try is to make a milkshake with coffee substituted in for the milk :D (and of course any *appropriate* amount of alcohol)

Personally I don't want to get too used to sweetened everything so I try to stay away from sweetened tea or coffee, but adding simple milk really helps for both. Tea with milk, or coffee with milk, mmmmm :D

coffee + bailey's irish creme = yum

Also, try the French Vanilla half and half in the blue bottle...sorry, but I'm drawing a blank on who makes it

I would try going to a specialty gormet coffee shop (of higher quality than Starbucks). Some of those places can get fresher ingredients than you can (easily) find in the stores, with the proper equipment and skill to prepare it perfectly. Properly done, coffee should taste as good as it smells. With the fierce competition of such places, it's likely that the patrons would even go out of their way to let you sample a couple of different brews to see which kind you like (otherwise, I'd say follow your nose to the kind you'd like to try). For a while, I had a job at a place like that in downtown Houston that's not around anymore, and I'll never think of coffee the same way again (they got their beans directly from a source in South America).

It's punishment for not eating onions!

I'm not a fan of coffee - the aroma or the taste - despite several attempts. I don't think I'm missing anything. If I want my caffeine, I turn to tea, hot or iced. Or Diet Coke. Or crack. :D

I'm not a fan of coffee - the aroma or the taste - despite several attempts. I don't think I'm missing anything. If I want my caffeine, I turn to tea, hot or iced. Or Diet Coke. Or crack. :D

So what do you do when asked to "wake up and smell the coffee."? :D

Apparently the greatness of coffee has not yet penetrated into the more remote regions of the U.S. :D

Some of us True Believers should bring the light of Coffee to the heathens!

:D So basically, if you are not a fan of coffee, besides adding cream and sugar, try making it look attractive (in addition to your enjoyment of the smell, this can be important). Invest in a couple of irish coffee glass mugs with stem and handle. put in your cream, sugar, whiskey, cinnamon, or whatever. Add you coffee. Then, add a swirl of whipped cream to fill the rest of the glass (or less if you just think whipped cream is ok)! Now you have a smell you like, presented in a beautiful way. Now you get to taste it!

The main problem with this lovely, tasty ensamble is its caloric content. But, if you are not a big breakfast person, this is a great way to get a few calories in the am to get your metabolism running!

:D So basically, if you are not a fan of coffee, besides adding cream and sugar, try making it look attractive (in addition to your enjoyment of the smell, this can be important). Invest in a couple of irish coffee glass mugs with stem and handle. put in your cream, sugar, whiskey, cinnamon, or whatever. Add you coffee. Then, add a swirl of whipped cream to fill the rest of the glass (or less if you just think whipped cream is ok)! Now you have a smell you like, presented in a beautiful way. Now you get to taste it!

The main problem with this lovely, tasty ensamble is its caloric content. But, if you are not a big breakfast person, this is a great way to get a few calories in the am to get your metabolism running!

I think with that ensemble you can skip the rest of your meals, too. :D

Piz, me too! I love the smell so very much...and when I taste it, I make a horrible face and think, "Why ever did I do that?" How can something that smells so good taste so awful to me? I won't even eat tiramisu or coffee ice cream -- hate, hate, hate the taste.

My poor boyfriend. He loves the stuff -- asked me out for coffee for our first date, but I told him absolutely not. Luckily he figured out it was the coffee I was rejecting, and not him! :D

Perhaps the bad taste of onions and coffee will cancel each other out. :D

To test this theory, why don't you grind up some fresh coffee-beans and a raw onion, pour it all in a bowl, then eat it with a spoon.

To test this theory, why don't you grind up some fresh coffee-beans and a raw onion, pour it all in a bowl, then eat it with a spoon.

Mine is to jest; piz is to test. :D

I love the taste of coffee and yes, of course the smell. But the good coffee shops, like Starbucks, is unbeatable.

But the smell of Brandy in a large sniffer is divine. Or the smell of red wine once one's palette has adjusted is like Candy Apple.

I think coffee is an acquired taste just like the last two things, and whiskey.

lol, Now there's a Texas hangover remedy in the making, if I ever saw one! : P Why not throw in a jalapeño or two for some spice.

You're not alone. I've heard the same kind of thing from other folks as well. As a coffee drinker myself (black, thanks very much), it's hard for me to understand; however, I do recall that I didn't drink coffee until I went away to college (my parents did not allow us to drink it when we were growing up). Once at school, some friends of mine who had lived and studied in Vienna (a true coffee city!) introduced me to the fresh- ground, fresh-brewed (Chemex) variety, with a good splash of light cream and Turbinado or brown sugar. It was both very rich and very deliciious . . . a real treat. I'd recommend you try it that way. But remember, use only GOOD, fresh-ground coffee!! You may have an epiphany. Or not.

I'm in a similar position, in that I at least don't mind the smell of coffee, but I don't like the taste of it at all. I've always thought that not liking it is rather convenient, because I avoid spending money on it, and also, I do not have to worry about the bad effects of caffeine (such as keeping me awake when I'm trying to fall asleep :D). In other words, I don't like something that wouldn't do me any good if I did like it and consume it, so why try to change? My present coffee-less state is one that I like and I think is good for me.

Interestingly, I do like some coffee flavored things: such as ice cream and some candies, though I don't eat them very much. Perhaps if you are trying to develop a taste for coffee, eating some things that are just flavored that way, might be a way to ease into it.

I will admit, though, that coffee has its uses. Each time I've drunk a cup of it, it was because I was in a situation in which I was very sleepy but had to stay awake. (Things like flying three time zones to the East, for an early meeting next day! :D) Once I was able to force myself to swallow the stuff, it did indeed work. All it took was one cup.

[...]

Interestingly, I do like some coffee flavored things: such as ice cream and some candies, though I don't eat them very much. Perhaps if you are trying to develop a taste for coffee, eating some things that are just flavored that way, might be a way to ease into it.

[...]

You could try Häagen Dazs coffee ice cream

I love the smell of coffee too. Yankee Candle makes a wonderful candle Roasted Coffee candle. :D So you can smell coffee without having to brew a pot.

But I also drink coffee. My favorite is Kona, no cream or sugar. Costa Rican coffee brewed the old fashioned way is a close second.

I would equate not liking coffee but loving the smell - to how I can't stand the texture of pears but love the smell. :D

I love the smell of coffee, but haven't tried it much. Next time I pass through town, I'll pick up one at Starbucks and try it tho. It will be a wonderful complement to tea, especially wonderful since I start college next month and coffee has twice the caffeine content per cup than black tea. :D

I *love* tea tho, and have about 70 varieties in my collection, but that's a topic for another thread :D

I love the smell of coffee, but haven't tried it much. Next time I pass through town, I'll pick up one at Starbucks and try it tho. It will be a wonderful complement to tea, especially wonderful since I start college next month and coffee has twice the caffeine content per cup than black tea. :D

Might as well start now, because believe me, by the end of College you will be a coffee-drinker!