piz

Coffee

48 posts in this topic

You could try Häagen Dazs coffee ice cream

Haagen Daz cofeee ice cream is my favorite! It’s creamy with the most delectable coffee taste imaginable. It is my choice of 'sin'.

You could try Häagen Dazs coffee ice cream

Haagen Daz cofeee ice cream is my favorite! It’s creamy with the most delectable coffee taste imaginable. It is my choice of 'sin'.

Mine too! :D

The stores used to carry Haggen Daz's coffee ice cream with chocolate chips, but I have not seen that available for some time. :D

Or HD's coffee ice cream with the fudge swirl...

I'm not sure if it's still available, but at one point Starbucks had a variety of coffee ice creams on offer in the major supermarkets. The product wasn't as rich as HD's average offering, but the coffee flavor was far blunter.

JohnRGT

I love the smell of coffee, but haven't tried it much. Next time I pass through town, I'll pick up one at Starbucks and try it tho. It will be a wonderful complement to tea, especially wonderful since I start college next month and coffee has twice the caffeine content per cup than black tea. :D

I *love* tea tho, and have about 70 varieties in my collection, but that's a topic for another thread :D

A tea thread! Good idea. I've been thinking of informing people about the tea I make, which is a blend of four different kinds of teas.

Mine too! :D

The stores used to carry Haggen Daz's coffee ice cream with chocolate chips, but I have not seen that available for some time. :D

No! I never saw that. Drat. That sounds terrific. The plain coffee ice cream is still great though.

Häagen Dazs used to also make the best chocolate ice cream, called (I think) Deep Chocolate. I was sorely disappointed when they stopped selling it. Ben & Jerry's Fudge Brownie is good, but I don't know of a plain dark-chocolate ice cream that's as good. So if anyone knows knows of a really good dark-chocolate ice cream, I'd be greatful if you'd 1) start a new thread, or 2) find and revive that amazing thread on chocolate. I think it must still be over in the R&R area because it was posted prior to the creation of the Home Life category.

Usually I let my dumb errors stand without correction, but I just can't stand it -- 'knows knows' and 'greatful ' ahhhhhhhhh! :D 'knows' and 'grateful' :D

For those of you who like your coffee dry, consider Gevalia's offerings.

("Dry," as in one highly refined, strong flavor on the tongue, some lingering, and as little aftertaste as a coffee beverage can have.)

Though Gevalia offers all sorts of blends and flavors, I suggest starting with their Traditional.

Gevalia coffee is formulated for a cone-shaped drip filter -- flat filters, French presses and percolators will not do.

True coffee lovers love the sounds and aromas of every step in the coffee making process: opening a vacuum-sealed bag of beans; grinding; brewing; pouring; spooning in the cream and/or sugar. To these comrades, I say: skip the grind-at-home step when first trying Gevalia. Buy a bag of ground Traditional, and then see if your grinder can match Gevalia's grind.

Gevalia, like many others, will send out a free drip machine to anyone who signs up for a scoffee ubscription. Their coffee costs about as much as Starbucks. It's also available in many gourmet shops and high-end supermarkets. (Buy Gevalia in bags, not in bulk -- too many suppliers and shops cut corners in their bulk sections.)

BTW: Most Scandinavian coffees of note are on the dry and strong side. If Gevalia comes close but isn't perfect, consider other labels from the region.

I hope this was helpful.

JohnRGT

Häagen Dazs used to also make the best chocolate ice cream, called (I think) Deep Chocolate. I was sorely disappointed when they stopped selling it.

Are you referring to their Beligian Chocolate Ice Cream? If so, I'm 110% with you.

The also sold a mint version of this great flavor, to which they added a ton of finely shaved dark chocolate. This was easily my favorite HD flavor.

JohnRGT

Are you referring to their Beligian Chocolate Ice Cream? If so, I'm 110% with you.

The also sold a mint version of this great flavor, to which they added a ton of finely shaved dark chocolate. This was easily my favorite HD flavor.

JohnRGT

Hmmm. I don't think Belgian Chocolate was the name, but I don't recall that flavor-name at all. And I certainly would have tried it, if I'd seen it. There were some years where I was not buying Häagen Dazs at all (after the great disappointment of being unable to find the dark chocolate ice cream). So maybe their deep chocolate ice cream (whatever it was called) came out in those years under the Belgian Chocolate name. But the point now is, do they make any dark-chocolate ice cream any more, or if not, does anyone else?

Piz and other non-believers,

The answer to your problem is that you need Turkish Coffee. Turkish Coffee is the original (as far as I know) method of preparing coffee. It consists of putting sugar, water, and ground coffee into a special container and bringing the mixture to a boil three times. After you down this stuff all other coffee is "girly stuff" (said in overly german accent reminiscent of Arnold). One may learn more about Turkish Coffee at this website.

I'd try a smoother variety like a Guatemalan blend, a touch of Korintje cinnamon and possibly at first the Turbinado sugar as suggested until you wean yourself off the sweetness. It improves my productivity around a million percent :D - hope it does the same for you! Chocolate covered espresso beans, Kahlua flavored everything (Tiramisu, etc.) may help you get used to the taste.

-Taylor

I LOVE the smell of coffee. I can stand around and breathe it in all day. However, I do not like the taste. Why is that? Is there anything I can do to change that? It's the kind of thing I wish I liked, because of the wonderful aroma, but I just don't.

I was searching the Haagen Dazs website, and it doesn't look like they make that flavor anymore. Couldn't you buy the regular coffee ice cream and add your own chocolate chips?

The $64,000 question on my mind this beautiful, cold morning as I sip a cup of freshly ground, dark roasted joe is: Have you tried a cup of coffee yet, Piz?

After 36 posts has anyone "I learn ya, dern ya" tempted you to try the nectar of the gods?

FWIW, I didn't like coffee either until my late twenties. Now I can't start the day without a cup of ambition. :D

Lady Brin

-----------------

The $64,000 question on my mind this beautiful, cold morning as I sip a cup of freshly ground, dark roasted joe is: Have you tried a cup of coffee yet, Piz?

After 36 posts has anyone "I learn ya, dern ya" tempted you to try the nectar of the gods?

FWIW, I didn't like coffee either until my late twenties. Now I can't start the day without a cup of ambition. :D

Not yet. Haven't found the time. Other than occasionally checking in here, the infrequent free moment every several days, and sleeping when my body forces me to, I haven't had a moment's relaxation in almost a month now. Life has been on a serious downturn for me lately.

I was searching the Haagen Dazs website, and it doesn't look like they make that flavor anymore. Couldn't you buy the regular coffee ice cream and add your own chocolate chips?

I suppose you could. But then you have the problem of evenly distributing the chips throughout the bulk of the semi-hard ice cream.

Other than occasionally checking in here, the infrequent free moment every several days, and sleeping when my body forces me to, I haven't had a moment's relaxation in almost a month now. Life has been on a serious downturn for me lately.

Sorry to hear that. Perhaps, instead of liquid coffee some of that Haggen Daz coffee ice cream might be better. :)

I LOVE the smell of coffee. I can stand around and breathe it in all day. However, I do not like the taste. Why is that? Is there anything I can do to change that? It's the kind of thing I wish I liked, because of the wonderful aroma, but I just don't.

Most people who get into coffee ease into it. Straight black is a turn off to most who never had it before. Most people start drinking coffee with things like mochas or lattes or coffee with lots of cream and sugar. Eventually you admire the flavor of the coffee more and more until the cream/milk/flavoring to coffee ratio starts to tip more and more in favor of the coffee. Try that.

I personally drink straight black dark roast coffee roasted at my favorite cafe--they have a master roaster. He has been a coffee roaster for years. After you drink pure straight coffee you begin to notice subtly in differences of flavor between beans roasted in different regions of the world, the length of time they were in the roaster, the temperature they were roasted at, etc.

After a good cup you will be enveloped in a coffee aura...it is very pleasant. I like my coffee.

The key to coffee isn't the stuff you add to it. Coffee gourmets view coffee that must have cream, sugar, or other ingredients added as a failure. As with fine dining, where adding salt or pepper before tasting the preparation is a sin, this is true of truly good coffee.

The importance of preparation, storage method, and presentation can make or break a good cup of coffee. Try these tips, and I am sure you will get a good cup of coffee. Everything beyond this is a matter of personal preference.

• Buy no more than a weeks worth of beans. Get sometime described as having a "smooth" finish, and anything that mentions a caramel or brown sugar taste. Most people are used to enjoying sweeter drinks and this will help the unitiated find something they will enjoy the first time. Coffee should never be purely acidic, just at red wine should never be entirely tannic.
  • Store in a dry, room temperature (not refrigerator!), air tight container without exposure to sunlight.
  • Grind beans only when they will be used immediately.
  • Expose grounds to air no longer than 20 seconds before introducing water.
  • Invest in a flat based gold filter. Use without a paper filter to get the most oil from the beans (which makes the taste smoother) and the flat base will ensure even distribution of water through all the grounds. Make sure the grounds are level when you place them into the coffee maker (true of espresso, coffee makers, not applicable to french press).
  • Use filtered water if you live in an area where water contains trace mineral deposits.
  • Drink coffee immediately and do not reheat. Coffee should remain at aproximately 150 degrees for one hour, after which it should be discarded.
  • Special tip for french press - use water that is just below the boiling point.
  • If possible pour your coffee into a warmed ceramic glass - it will keep the heat longer and will be a sensual experience to drink.
  • Select a cup with a lip diameter no greater than 4 inches or you may experience premature cooling.
  • It is not rude to set your napkin or saucer over the top of your coffee to keep it hot. In fact, many saucers are designed to fit perfectly.
  • If you must add cream and sugar do this when coffee is at its hottest so that the sugar can dissolve quickly and evenly and the cream can mix with the oils of the coffee.
  • A fresh cup is always better than a warm up.

For espresso, here are some way to know if the person making it is doing it right:

• The milk is cold, fresh, and has not been previously heated.
  • While heating the milk the nozzle makes a very gentle pssht pssht sound, indicating that the milk is being evenly aired and heated. Motor boat rumble = burned milk. High pitched whine = too many air bubbles.
  • Espresso beans are ground immediately before being packed and tamped into the filter head.
  • Espresso shot(s) are timed so that they do not sit in the air longer than 10 seconds before being combined with hot milk.
  • Milk is heated no less than 145 degrees F and no more than 160 degrees F.
  • Milk is free-poured by hand and foam is not scooped from the top of the container (unless it is a cappacino) - this is important because the most fatty and velvetty milk foam will pour along with the milk.

Lattes should not feel light like a cappacino - if it does you should immediately send it back and ask them to remake it "wet". Cappacinos come as wet or dry which determines the ratio of milk/foam to espresso. Cappacino is the hardest espresso drink to make right and you should not accept less than perfection - you will make the world of baristas a better place if you send it back. If you are not sure it was made right but don't like it, send it back anyways and if it is perfect the barista will probably give you an education.

As you may have guessed, I love coffee. I love making it. Enjoy!

Thank you for all the tips Elle!

Acquiring a taste for coffee was a very interesting experience for me, because it demonstrated to be false what had been my view of taste. I had always thought that some things taste good, and others bad, and that's just the way it is. But in reality, it is incredibly flexible.

In High School I chomped down fast-food left and right, and could only enjoy coffee if I added so much creamer and sugar as to make virtual ice-cream.

Now, a fast-food meal makes me want to lay in a hole and die, whereas I can drink gallons of black coffee without batting an eye! :)

Taste is extremely interesting, subtle and complex; I wish there were an Objectivist Tasteologist to write a book on it!

Elle,

Great tips!

I do, however, disagree with the following:

[*]Invest in a flat based gold filter. Use without a paper filter to get the most oil from the beans (which makes the taste smoother) and the flat base will ensure even distribution of water through all the grounds.

A good cone shaped filter will outperform a flat one.

Ensuring "even distribution of water through all the grounds" is crucial. Cone filters do almost as good a job at this as flats. The cones, however, allow a given quantity water to spend more time flowing through a given quantity of coffee. All things equal, this extracts more flavor.

JohnRGT

Elle,

Great tips!

I do, however, disagree with the following:

A good cone shaped filter will outperform a flat one.

Ensuring "even distribution of water through all the grounds" is crucial. Cone filters do almost as good a job at this as flats. The cones, however, allow a given quantity water to spend more time flowing through a given quantity of coffee. All things equal, this extracts more flavor.

JohnRGT

In my opinion the key is not how long the water flows through the coffee, but that all water flows through the same amount of coffee grounds for even extraction as opposed to maximum extraction. The reason I favor a flat bottomed cone is that no matter where the water hits at the top of the filter it will travel through the same amount of grounds. Similar to the reasons for having a ristretto espresso short, even extraction pulls the best of the coffee's flavor and crema leaves the worst (bitterness, for example).

I didn't mention that matching grind to filter type is absolutely crucial. With that in mind, the good thing about cone filters is that they require more finely ground coffee than a flat bottomed filter and therefore produce a stronger coffee. I would argue that stronger flavor is not always better, especially if that isn't what the bean used is intended for, but if you are using freezer coffee like Folgers for example then this may be the best bet if you want it strong.

From my experience with both cone and flat bottom gold filters I prefer the smoothness and uniformity of flavor from the flat bottomed filter. A short search on google.com indicates that experts disagree on this fine point. :) Happy drinking!

Click Here - Check out the new coffee maker we got for Christmas that we are testing now!

I didn't mention that matching grind to filter type is absolutely crucial. With that in mind, the good thing about cone filters is that they require more finely ground coffee than a flat bottomed filter and therefore produce a stronger coffee. I would argue that stronger flavor is not always better, especially if that isn't what the bean used is intended for, but if you are using freezer coffee like Folgers for example then this may be the best bet if you want it strong.

Great points, Elle.

Those not dedication to coffee preparation to this degree may dismiss the almost maniacal adherence to specific specifics as phony or neurotic.

Consider, however, that a freshly made pot of coffee is composed of 600 compounds. If that pot is held at serving temperature with an external heat source for twenty minutes (HORROR), the number of compounds soars to over 1000!

With this many compounds, fluctuating even as they sit in the cup, interpreted by varying pallets and outlooks, I'd asume -- asssume -- that the variation in appraisal one sees in the coffee world is honest.

Elle: From my experience with both cone and flat bottom gold filters I prefer the smoothness and uniformity of flavor from the flat bottomed filter. A short search on google.com indicates that experts disagree on this fine point. :)

Disagreement in the food industry -- that never happnes :)

There are beans I'd only press; others I'd love from a flat; still others from a cone. I don't have the time to pursue this hobby more than 5-10 times a year, but I do take these issues into account whenever I put together a menu. I'm certain that some % of the handful of pallets I respect would reverse every bean-method pairing I make in a given context. What do they know? :)

JohnRGT

Consider, however, that a freshly made pot of coffee is composed of 600 compounds. If that pot is held at serving temperature with an external heat source for twenty minutes (HORROR), the number of compounds soars to over 1000!

I would note that using a thermos flask kind of coffee pot, which naturally keeps the coffee hot for a number of hours, seems to maintain coffee with far better taste than the usual kind that uses a bottom heater to keep a glass pot warm. I use a coffee maker made by Cuisinart with the flask as well as accepting whole beans with an integrated grinder, which minimizes the time between grinding and hot water hitting the coffee.

There are beans I'd only press; others I'd love from a flat; still others from a cone.

I just wanted to add that all things considered, I prefer the flavor I get out of cone-shaped filters.

I usually start the day with something mild -- 7-11's coffee is just fine for the day's first cup. Once the circuits are warmed up I may take the time to brew something more focused.

JohnRGT

Piz!

Wouldn't you know it, right on Yahoo's front page is your question asked and answered!

The question was put:

How can I start to drink and like coffee?

How can I start to drink and like coffee?

What is the best way to start drinking coffee?

Press This Link Here for all of the answers.

The chosen best answer:

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

I started drinking coffee in grade 12. Studying for my final exams. I put 2 sugar and cream in it. Sip on it, it is hot like tea. Have coffee in the morning, when you wake up, to start.