Stephen Speicher

"Heroes" up for a Golden Globe

10 posts in this topic

The nominations for this year's Golden Globe Awards were announced today, and I was delighted to see that one of my favorite TV shows, Heroes, is up for Best Television Series - Drama. Not bad for a fledgling show. :D

House's Hugh Laurie was nominated for Best Performance By An Actor In A Television Series - Drama. It was interesting to see that in the similar Actress category, Kyra Sedgwick was nominated for The Closer.

The nominations for this year's Golden Globe Awards were announced today, and I was delighted to see that one of my favorite TV shows, Heroes, is up for Best Television Series - Drama. Not bad for a fledgling show. :D

House's Hugh Laurie was nominated for Best Performance By An Actor In A Television Series - Drama. It was interesting to see that in the similar Actress category, Kyra Sedgwick was nominated for The Closer.

All very worthy, in my opinion. Damn you Stephen for getting me hooked on Heroes! :D

All very worthy, in my opinion. Damn you Stephen for getting me hooked on Heroes! :D

I haven't watched an episode yet - it's too bad that TV-on-demand hasn't gotten to the point of being able to replay an entire series at will (in mid-stream I mean, prior to DVD release). It sounds like the kind of series where you'd be lost if you just started watching in the middle, 24 being the most extreme example.

I haven't watched an episode yet - it's too bad that TV-on-demand hasn't gotten to the point of being able to replay an entire series at will (in mid-stream I mean, prior to DVD release). It sounds like the kind of series where you'd be lost if you just started watching in the middle, 24 being the most extreme example.

Yep, that's why I'm not yet a regular. I've caught parts of two episodes and found them very interesting. I'll wait for the first season's DVD.

Heroes is a tightly integrated story with mutiple intertwined arcs, but iTunes is selling the whole series up to now, or individual episodes for $1.99 a piece. If you've got a big computer screen or a hookup to a tv monitor, the quality's fine.

As for Laurie and Sedgewick, both are excellent. At this moment in the series, I'm a bigger fan of Laurie than of the show: It seems to be intent on putting him out of commission, but not just by giving him a powerful adversary, but by making him his own worst enemy. We'll have to see how they resolve that. And, in the interest of "realism" they're making him wrong more often (may well be related to the personal problem) and giving less time to his thought process, having him just toss off brilliant diagnoses without apparent reflection, which makes him seem a bit more like an idiot savant than a brilliant doctor. But there are some good possible roads out of this mess, so I'm reserving judgement.

The season opening The Closer was terrific. The thing that is great about both shows, at their best, is when you see a truly impressive intellect solve a truly difficult problem in an original and surprising way. It doesn't always happen, but it happens a lot on both shows and it makes my day when it does.

It's the cross I bear. :D

Yep, that's why I'm not yet a regular. I've caught parts of two episodes and found them very interesting. I'll wait for the first season's DVD.

NBC has all the episodes of the show up for viewing free right here. It is a small viewer using Flash -- not exactly big-screen viewing -- but in a pinch it will work.

NBC has all the episodes of the show up for viewing free right here. It is a small viewer using Flash -- not exactly big-screen viewing -- but in a pinch it will work.

Thanks for the link, Stephen. Sometime soon I'm going to hook up a computer to my new HDTV and then it *will* be big-screen viewing, to a degree. :D

Thanks for the link, Stephen. Sometime soon I'm going to hook up a computer to my new HDTV and then it *will* be big-screen viewing, to a degree. :D

Sounds great! A lot of people seem to be doing just that. The ones I've seen were surprisingly good for text, but not up to good CRT quality. Do they have pc cable tuners for HD out yet? Here is a cool little device that will allow you to take your HDTV with you on your laptop!

Those HDTVs look really nice. I wish I could find a reason for getting one. :D

(99% of the TV I watch is in the garage, taped shows that I watch while I work out every morning. With all the equipment in the garage, not much room for a big HDTV.)

Sounds great! A lot of people seem to be doing just that. The ones I've seen were surprisingly good for text, but not up to good CRT quality. Do they have pc cable tuners for HD out yet? Here is a cool little device that will allow you to take your HDTV with you on your laptop!

Those HDTVs look really nice. I wish I could find a reason for getting one. :D

(99% of the TV I watch is in the garage, taped shows that I watch while I work out every morning. With all the equipment in the garage, not much room for a big HDTV.)

I downloaded all the episodes I missed off of iTunes while I was in Australia and watched them fullscreen on my laptop. It worked well for me!

Thank you very much! I'll put this on my Xmas "TO DO" list right away.