Stephen Speicher

Ice Cream

20 posts in this topic

In another thread ...

Häagen Dazs used to also make the best chocolate ice cream, called (I think) Deep Chocolate. I was sorely disappointed when they stopped selling it. Ben & Jerry's Fudge Brownie is good, but I don't know of a plain dark-chocolate ice cream that's as good. So if anyone knows knows of a really good dark-chocolate ice cream, I'd be greatful if you'd 1) start a new thread ...

Taking Rose Lake's suggesion, I started this thread.

For dark chocolate ice cream I doubt you can beat Godiva's Belgian Dark Chocolate. I see that they also have two new flavors, Belgian Dark Chocolate Mint and Cappuccino with Chocolate Hearts. This last might more than make up for the loss of Haggen Daz's Coffee with chocolate chips. I guess I must bear the burden and give it a try. :D

In another thread ...

Taking Rose Lake's suggesion, I started this thread.

For dark chocolate ice cream I doubt you can beat Godiva's Belgian Dark Chocolate. I see that they also have two new flavors, Belgian Dark Chocolate Mint and Cappuccino with Chocolate Hearts. This last might more than make up for the loss of Haggen Daz's Coffee with chocolate chips. I guess I must bear the burden and give it a try. :D

Oh joy, recommendations! I've been a vanilla, coffee, and strawberry girl (Häagen Dazs) for years now because I've never yet found a good dark chocolate ice cream (since the disappearance of the Häagen Dazs dark chocolate ice cream). And it's too fattening just to be trying new ones at random all the time. My friend and I have the concept of a "worthwhile calorie" which means, if it's high-calorie, it had better be worth it, i.e. the taste has to be very good to justify the high-calories.

One of my favorite things to do with ice-cream is to make a milk-shake from vanilla ice-cream, lots of chocolate syrup, and a banana.

Absolutely scrum-diddly-umptious! :D

In terms of fast-food though, no one beats getting a butterfinger-Blizzard from Dairy Queen. :D

One of my favorite things to do with ice-cream is to make a milk-shake from vanilla ice-cream, lots of chocolate syrup, and a banana.

Absolutely scrum-diddly-umptious! :D

Wow, I know! But then have you ever tried B&J's Chunky Monkey? Banana ice cream with walnuts and chunks of chocolate. 1146.gif

In terms of fast-food though, no one beats getting a butterfinger-Blizzard from Dairy Queen. :D

... except the Peanut Buster Parfait. It's the salt. Peanut salt + DQ's famous smooooth ice cream + hot fugde = perfection. It's a simple equation.

My friend and I have the concept of a "worthwhile calorie" which means, if it's high-calorie, it had better be worth it, i.e. the taste has to be very good to justify the high-calories.

In science-fiction fandom, this principle is known as "Fuzzy Pink Niven's Law", named after writer Larry Niven's wife. The standard formulation is simple: "Never waste calories."

I've largely given up on eating this sort of thing over the past year, since I've been working on a systematic weight-loss project. Down 77 pounds from my peak weight at this point, and nearing my final goal, so I'm making notes of these recommendations to try in the future!

In science-fiction fandom, this principle is known as "Fuzzy Pink Niven's Law", named after writer Larry Niven's wife. The standard formulation is simple: "Never waste calories."

I've largely given up on eating this sort of thing over the past year, since I've been working on a systematic weight-loss project. Down 77 pounds from my peak weight at this point, and nearing my final goal, so I'm making notes of these recommendations to try in the future!

Wow. Congratulations on your weight loss! I guess it is better to wait to occasionally eat those high-cal things, like ice cream, until your weight is where you want it to be. Then it can be fun, and not conflict with the health and looks that you've worked so hard to achieve.

Aurelia Posted Today, 04:32 PM

QUOTE(Carlos E. Jordan @ Dec 15 2006, 03:34 PM)

Absolutely scrum-diddly-umptious!

Wow, I know! But then have you ever tried B&J's Chunky Monkey? Banana ice cream with walnuts and chunks of chocolate.

In terms of fast-food though, no one beats getting a butterfinger-Blizzard from Dairy Queen.

... except the Peanut Buster Parfait. It's the salt. Peanut salt + DQ's famous smooooth ice cream + hot fugde = perfection. It's a simple equation.

OR, McDonalds' Smartie McFlurry. :D:D

So if anyone knows knows of a really good dark-chocolate ice cream, I'd be greatful if you'd 1) start a new thread ...

What I've found recently in Haagen-Dazs is their "Mayan chocolate" -- it is really dark, and delicious if you like dark moody chocolate :D Normally I go for lighter varieties, but I tried it once, was like, "Wow this is really dark and moody", but came to like ever since. I'd recommend trying one, and seeing whether it's the kind of dark chocolate you like.

Wow. Congratulations on your weight loss!

Thanks. I'm pretty pleased with it myself. I actually found Objectivism to be pretty helpful in the process. I've been toying with writing up a post about exactly how, as an illustration of the way philosophy properly understood and integrated is useful in everyday life.

I guess it is better to wait to occasionally eat those high-cal things, like ice cream, until your weight is where you want it to be. Then it can be fun, and not conflict with the health and looks that you've worked so hard to achieve.

Absolutely. One of the benefits of having your weight under control is that it is exactly that -- under control. Then you can make a conscious decision to eat something high-calorie, knowing what it will cost you and what you will have to do to deal with the effects. And often you'll find that doing so is the right thing to do. I ate rather a lot of high-calorie items at our company Christmas party earlier this week, for example.

I think Ayn Rand's favorite proverb applies here: "'Take what you want,' said God, 'and pay for it.'"

OR, McDonalds' Smartie McFlurry. :D:D

Lies! Only heathens get McFlurry's instead of Blizzards! :D (In this case it looks to be a particularly good-looking heathen though)

What I've found recently in Haagen-Dazs is their "Mayan chocolate" -- it is really dark, and delicious if you like dark moody chocolate :D Normally I go for lighter varieties, but I tried it once, was like, "Wow this is really dark and moody", but came to like ever since. I'd recommend trying one, and seeing whether it's the kind of dark chocolate you like.

Definitely didn't know about this, thank you. I'll surely try it if/when I see it. If it's at all like the Belgian Chocolate that JohnRGT mentioned in the coffee thread, or the old Deep Chocolate, I can hardly wait.

For those who occasionally like banana ice cream, there's Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey of course (with chocolate pieces in it), but Häagen Dazs also sells a couple of kinds, i.e. Bananas Foster (which I thought was very good), and Banana-Strawberry (something like that), which I've seen, but never tried.

HD's Mayan gets its full chocolate flavor form the swirl of fudge they've incorporated. The addition of cinnamon both accents and compliments the full chocolate flavor. (The play between cinnamon and chocolate really shows when this concoction is eaten at a very soft consistency.)

Well done, HD!!!

Now, can we add some ground chilies...?

JohnRGT

I'm a Cold Stone addict with no intention of recovery. I also love Marble Slab and especially their cinammon ice cream -- the best flavor ever! :D

I'm a Cold Stone addict with no intention of recovery. I also love Marble Slab and especially their cinammon ice cream -- the best flavor ever! :D

Mmmmm. Coldstone. I love their Cake Batter ice cream, especially when it's in their Birthday Cake Remix or Cherry Cake Double Take mixtures. :D

There is a creamery in Brenham, Texas that makes the greatest ice cream ever. :D

Blue Bell!

I can't taste their ice cream over the internet, but I sure do love their motto:

We eat all we can, and we sell the rest.

It is sheer and utter blasphemy that no one has yet mentioned the ice cream SANDWICH!

Even the 99-cent ones that they sell from Mister Softee trucks are a nice treat on a hot day, but the really high-end ones are amazing. New York magazine did a round-up at the end of the summer on the 10 best in the city (unfortunately, the site is not loading for me at the moment, or I'd post the link), and I made a good job of it trying to get to as many as I could before the weather got cold. :D

If you ever get into the city in the summer, make it a point to visit Jacques Torres (two locations, one in the DUMBO neighborhood of Brooklyn and one in SoHo). Rich, velvety vanilla ice cream (one can also get strawberry, chocolate, or coffee ice cream) sandwiched between two of the chunkiest chocolate-chip cookies I've ever seen in my life. Great quality cookies, too -- JT is well known for both their baking and candy-making skills. A sandwich costs $5, and is worth every penny.

I'm also a huge fan of Mary's Dairy, a super-premium spot in the West Village that makes an incredibly creamy, rich, perfectly textured ice cream in all kinds of flavors. Definitely worth the trip.

Stellavision,

Down the block from Mary's, on Bleecker, is The gelato spot in NY Metro:

Cones.

Their dark chocolate, hazelnut and caramel are beyond compare.

There's also Il Laboratorio Del Gelato. Highly recommended, but not as WOW as Cones.

(@ blocks east of Cones, one finds the nationally renowned Murray's Cheeses. Murray's carries Laboratorio pints.)

Well. it was a dirty job but someone had to do it, so I tried Godiva's Cappuccino with Chocolate Hearts. It tasted amazingly like the old Haggen Daz Coffee with chocolate chips. I expected more, but I was very happy with what I got. :D

Anyone try the Godiva Belgian Dark Chocolate yet?

Stephen, I am glad to hear that you survived the undertaking and look forward to seeing if you survive the next risky endeavor! :D