Lady Brin

Homemade Häagen Dazs

5 posts in this topic

Vera's Homemade Ice Cream

Savannah, Ga 1958

6 eggs

2 c sugar

pinch of salt

Beat above ingredients until thick, smooth and can't detect a single granule of sugar. It should be a bright lemon color. Beating is what "cooks" the eggs.

Add 2 t. vanilla - I make my own with whole beans.

Add 1 c cream

2 c half & half

Add to mixture to 2 qt. ice cream maker that has been packed with ice and salt. Fill the to the top with whole milk.

I gar-ron-tee you'll be licking your lips and pulling in the slack! :D

Lady Brin

--------------------------

Homemade ice cream rules!

I suggest that people use heavy cream and/or half-n-half that has "only" been pasteurized. Ultra-pasteurized cream and half-n-half have a very heavy feel, are harder to digest, and taste a bit like medicine. Worse, they don't always solidify as well as their pasteurized counterparts; one can't even make butter out of ultra-pasteurized heavy cream.

Beat above ingredients until thick, smooth and can't detect a single granule of sugar. It should be a bright lemon color. Beating is what "cooks" the eggs.

Using "super fine" sugar helps here. FYI

Do you use whole eggs or just yolks? I've tried both and prefer yolks to whole.

Hi jordanz: Both - especially if I needed the whites for something else. It's been a coon's age since I've made any so I can't bring up the difference in taste. Besides Haagen Dazs there are few commercial ice creams I like. The butterfat is so high, it just feels thick in my mouth.

I have an antique cake recipe that calls for a ton of egg yokes and it tastes very similar to the ice cream.

Lady Brin

-------------------------

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0