RJM

Ageless Birthdays

17 posts in this topic

I attempted to enter my birth date, within "My Controls", under "Edit Profile info", including the month and day without the year. The resulting error message states: "Either complete all the birthdate fields, or leave them all blank - we cannot process partial birthdates". I think it would be nice to be listed once per year under "Today's Birthdays", but without having to broadcast how old I have become! Will that be possible some time in the future?

Sincerely,

RJM

Good point. I hope the software will permit it. I for one am reluctant to post my full birthday on the web, since I understand the complete date could be helpful to identity thieves.

For the record, I was born on December 11 in a Very Good Year.

I attempted to enter my birth date, within "My Controls", under "Edit Profile info", including the month and day without the year.  The resulting error message states: "Either complete all the birthdate fields, or leave them all blank - we cannot process partial birthdates".  I think it would be nice to be listed once per year under "Today's Birthdays", but without having to broadcast how old I have become!  Will that be possible some time in the future?

Sincerely,

RJM

The software is pretty impressive in regard to the number of variables it allows you to control, but the one that you highlight is not among them. The software developers are quite open to enhancements, and I know for for a fact they have implemented some suggested by their clients. But, your suggestion has been made to them before.

However, there are a large number of modifications that savy administrators have made to the software on their own, and your idea for birth year is one that has been done. I have been reluctant to make such modifications -- I have been debating with myself about whether to do the "automatic sent mail" modification -- for a few reasons, some of which I mentioned on another thread. But an additional concern I have is that modifications made will have to be made again for any new version of the software that is released. Which means, in essence, that we are at the mercy of the person who designed the modification to update it to apply to the new version.

But, perhaps I have been treating this too much as if the whole issue is too fragile to mess with. Maybe as a test case I will make the "sent mail" modification and RJM's "birth year" modification and we'll see what happens over time. Give me a little time , but I will try to get to it, say, within a week, and I will respond here when the modification has been made.

I think it would be nice to be listed once per year under "Today's Birthdays", but without having to broadcast how old I have become!  Will that be possible some time in the future?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about selecting 1906 (the earliest available) or 2004 (the latest) as your birth year? Unless you are age 99 or age 1 (which would be really impressive :)).

"What about selecting 1906 (the earliest available) or 2004 (the latest) as your birth year? Unless you are age 99 or age 1 (which would be really impressive)."

I thought about that - a little, innocuous fib, easily recognizable and understandable by all. Then, essentially instantaneously, I decided that 'no, as a matter of principle, this is not the way I approach honesty and truth.'

My purpose here is not to scold you for the suggestion, but to note that you can rely on the same scrupulous attitude to honesty when you read anything I post on The Forum (although an occasional error is inevitable).

Cordially,

RJM

"What about selecting 1906 (the earliest available) or 2004 (the latest) as your birth year? Unless you are age 99 or age 1 (which would be really impressive)."

I thought about that - a little, innocuous fib, easily recognizable and understandable by all.  Then, essentially instantaneously, I decided that 'no, as a matter of principle, this is not the way I approach honesty and truth.'

My purpose here is not to scold you for the suggestion, but to note that you can rely on the same scrupulous attitude to honesty when you read anything I post on The Forum (although an occasional error is inevitable).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with the principle, but it would be obvious to me that if your profile states that you're one year old you're not fibbing at all, just choosing not to reveal your age (or that you made an honest mistake when you clicked). Not quite so if the profile says you're 99.

Still, probably best all around to just omit the birthday, given the system as it exists.

Still, probably best all around to just omit the birthday, given the system as it exists.

I am going to make the change that RJM requested. It's just taking me longer to get around to doing it than I had anticipated. I apologize for the delay, but I will get to it.

I am going to make the change that RJM requested. It's just taking me longer to get around to doing it than I had anticipated. I apologize for the delay, but I will get to it.

Okay, I modified the software and it seems to work fine. If you catch today's birthdays (4/29/05) you will see member "abc2" listed, minus his age. I will send out a notice about this now.

You can probably guess that my birthday is in March, since my attention has returned to ageless birthdays after 12 months. I tried again, and got the same message as last year. I see from member profiles that some specify the month and day without the year, so I wonder how to set that up.

You can probably guess that my birthday is in March, since my attention has returned to ageless birthdays after 12 months.  I tried again, and got the same message as last year.  I see from member profiles that some specify the month and day without the year, so I wonder how to set that up.

Hi RJM. I had a thought from another angle - it would be nice to reach the point in anti-aging therapy where the subject of ageless birthdays became somewhat natural. "How old are you?" "Older than I look, which is better than last year!" ;)

You can probably guess that my birthday is in March, since my attention has returned to ageless birthdays after 12 months.  I tried again, and got the same message as last year.  I see from member profiles that some specify the month and day without the year, so I wonder how to set that up.

The software modification that I applied was overwritten when the software developers updated our system a little while ago. So the "ageless" birthday feature reverted back to the original.

This is an ongoing problem with making modifications, which may or may not work when the software is updated. I will try to make the mod again in the next few days, and I hope it will work with the new update. I'll report back here when it is done, one way or another.

The software modification that I applied was overwritten when the software developers updated our system a little while ago. So the "ageless" birthday feature reverted back to the original.

This is an ongoing problem with making modifications, which may or may not work when the software is updated. I will try to make the mod again in the next few days, and I hope it will work with the new update. I'll report back here when it is done, one way or another.

I made the "ageless" birthday change again and it seems to be working, so RJM, or anyone else who is interested, should now be able to specify just the day and month of birth in your user profile, and leave off the year.

Hi, there -

Any new news on this? It's fairly disconcerting since this information becomes public! Any trick to overriding this requirement these days, besides entering a false year?

Thanks...

Hi, there -

Any new news on this? It's fairly disconcerting since this information becomes public! Any trick to overriding this requirement these days, besides entering a false year?

Thanks...

Are you really 6 years old? What is the problem with someone knowing your age?

Hi, there -

Thanks...

I'll contact the programmer who did the original "ageless birthday" feature for us and see what we can do to restore it. It will probably take a few weeks.

Hi, there -

Thanks...

Yeah unless your name is really cinnamaz, I don't think I will have much luck tracking you down.