stellavision

Sushi

33 posts in this topic

It's a good thing I live in New York, and not somewhere further inland, because I'm a girl that loves her sushi. I eat the stuff two or three times a week.

There's nothing like a buttery-smooth, perfect piece of fresh fish that melts on your tongue, with a dash of wasabi and soy for extra flavor. But my favorite are the maki rolls -- I love to get a roll of spicy tuna or salmon topped with broiled eel, in particular. The texture and slight zing of the spicy fish, combined with the smoky sweetness of the eel...ahh, I can't go more than a few days without it.

Sushi also happens to be one of the few low-fat foods I can't get enough of. Dieting can be a chore to me because I love a lot of high-fat foods (bring on the cream sauce!). But when I have sushi, I get to please my palate AND know that my waistline won't suffer as a result. Good stuff!

Not to take away from anybodies love of sushi but I have never been a big fan. I have tried many different types of sushi and here in Las Vegas there are a lot of places to go, but never liked the taste of sushi.

(For anyones insight, the human body does not care where the calories come from, extra calories are extra calories. If you take in to many calories of any sort; fats, carbohydrates and yes even proteins they can all be turned into fat and stored in a fat cell. A person can eat, drink and be merry within reason and enjoy all foods.)

I also enjoy sushi and even some sashimi. I often make sushi myself for parties.

Fish is high in protein and low in fat. Even those fish which are higher in fat are still healthful and heart friendly. Most fish is high in Omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential to the human diet as we do not synthesize them biologically. These fats are originally manufactured by algae, and eventually are incorporated into the fish as they move up the food chain.

Sushi is as safe as any other food as long as it is fresh and proper sanitary/handling conditions are met. Also, the concentrations of heavy metal contaminants present in fish are not large enough to hurt someone who eats seafood in moderation.

Sushi is fantastic. While I don't eat it as much as Stella does, I do try to sneak in a bite once in a while! In response to Ray, sushi is really an acquired taste in my opinion, because its point is so completely different from the normal foods we are used to eat in the West; completely different taste buds are affected. I really did not care for it in the very beginning, but now I know what to look for and enjoy it!

ew. EW. EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna have to take a page out of piz's book and go off on a tirade like he did about onions.

Sushi, like all seafood, is gross. Now, I'll grant that it's not quite as gross as disgusting, dirty, smelly cooked fish, but it's still nasty just the same.

And here's my proof:

Things that smell gross taste gross.

Fish smells gross.

Therefore, fish tastes gross.

QED

Since, here on THE FORUM, we prefer to use an inductive method, here's an inductive proof:

Every time one eats seafood, there is an automatic gag reflex that causes one to spit the fish back out in the general direction of the person who so maliciously hid the seafood inside something that would otherwise be edible. The smell often causes a wave of nausea that can lead to vomiting in high enough concentrations. Even small concentrations of seafood from all the way on the other side of a chinese restaurant can prevent one from finishing one's beef & broccoli. In some cases, it has been observed that on is never able to visit an otherwise good restaurant again because of the looming fear of a repeat smelling.

For those of you who say this has not been your experience with seafood, I can only assume you are engaging in evasion on so large a scale that I don't think I care to discuss this subject any longer, because MY experience with seafood shows that it is one of the most potent poisons known to man!!!!

DOWN WITH SEAFOOD AND SEAFOOD EATERS! :D

What a coincidence! I had sushi for dinner tonight. I love it, too, but don't have it very often since it's kind of pricey. I eat it whenever I want to treat myself to something--it's been a rough, busy few days, so it was just what I needed.

There's nothing like a buttery-smooth, perfect piece of fresh fish that melts on your tongue, with a dash of wasabi and soy for extra flavor.

Mm, but don't forget the ginger!

But my favorite are the maki rolls -- I love to get a roll of spicy tuna or salmon topped with broiled eel, in particular. The texture and slight zing of the spicy fish, combined with the smoky sweetness of the eel...ahh, I can't go more than a few days without it.

I like eel (anago--salt water eel, and unagi--fresh water eel), too.. I also have a very strong affection for sea urchin (uni)! Those are my favorite. Yellowtail is very good, too. If you're brave, try octopus or squid!

Saki bomb, anyone? :D

And here's my proof:

Fish smells gross.

QED

Check your premises. Fresh fish smells delicious! : P

I'm gonna have to take a page out of piz's book and go off on a tirade like he did about onions.

Sushi, like all seafood, is gross. Now, I'll grant that it's not quite as gross as disgusting, dirty, smelly cooked fish, but it's still nasty just the same.

And here's my proof:

Fish smells gross.

QED

Since, here on THE FORUM, we prefer to use an inductive method, here's an inductive proof:

Every time one eats seafood, there is an automatic gag reflex that causes one to spit the fish back out in the general direction of the person who so maliciously hid the seafood inside something that would otherwise be edible. The smell often causes a wave of nausea that can lead to vomiting in high enough concentrations. Even small concentrations of seafood from all the way on the other side of a chinese restaurant can prevent one from finishing one's beef & broccoli. In some cases, it has been observed that on is never able to visit an otherwise good restaurant again because of the looming fear of a repeat smelling.

For those of you who say this has not been your experience with seafood, I can only assume you are engaging in evasion on so large a scale that I don't think I care to discuss this subject any longer, because MY experience with seafood shows that it is one of the most potent poisons known to man!!!!

DOWN WITH SEAFOOD AND SEAFOOD EATERS! :D

I can completely respect this line of...um...reasoning. :D And regarding sushi I couldn't agree more, especially with "EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". However, I must disagree on other kinds of seafood. I love 'em. To skip the boring intermediate stuff and get right to the standard ending for internet debate, this must mean that Dave is Hitler.

If a non-sushi seafood thread starts, I'll chime in there. Here, I'll just leave these deluded raw fish eaters to their insanity.

:D

Mm, but don't forget the ginger!

Ah, of course the ginger! I never forget to put it on the fish, so I wonder why I forgot to put it in my post!

I like eel (anago--salt water eel, and unagi--fresh water eel), too.. I also have a very strong affection for sea urchin (uni)! Those are my favorite. Yellowtail is very good, too. If you're brave, try octopus or squid!

Maybe I should! I hadn't realized I've sort of fallen into a sushi rut until I got to your post -- I always order variations on the same theme. I need to mix it up and get some octopus -- haven't done that in quite some time.

Oh yes, and ikura (salmon roe)...not for everyone, but definitely for me. I love those little exploding bits of salty deliciousness!

(For anyones insight, the human body does not care where the calories come from, extra calories are extra calories. If you take in to many calories of any sort; fats, carbohydrates and yes even proteins they can all be turned into fat and stored in a fat cell. A person can eat, drink and be merry within reason and enjoy all foods.)

Of course...but when I eat sushi, I can eat more of it than I can eat hamburger, for sure!

Of course...but when I eat sushi, I can eat more of it than I can eat hamburger, for sure!

The reason that a person can eat more sushi than hamburger is mostly because of the fat content in hamburger which is not as high in most fish. Fat, when being digested through our small intenstine causes the release of a hormone called cholecystokinin which shuts down one's hunger urge. Carbohydrates begin to break down almost as soon as they enter our mouths and this causes the release of serotonin that gives one the feeling of being full and also shuts down one's hunger urge. Both of these hormones go to the hypothalamus gland which causes the reactions for the feeling of fullness. Protein does cause the relaese of cholecystokinin but it is primarily used for the metabolism/digestion of protein and not shutting down the hunger urge. Also tryptophan is present in many protein-rich foods, which has been found to prevent serotonin production thus slowing down or not allowing the hunger urge to be shut off.

These are some of the reasons why I recommend a diet based off of about 60% carbohydrates, 20% protein and 20% fat, all working in a rational mixture to allow us to get the nutrients we need while also not contradicting each other.

Just thought the information might be helpful.

I often make sushi myself for parties.

Making sushi is a great way to offset the cost of getting it at restaurants. Japanese and Korean supermarkets usually carry sashimi grade fish, frozen unagi and imitiation crab sticks. All Asian markets should have nori and sushi rice. By doing it yourself you can end with 'more than you can eat' sushi for two people under $15 - the compromises are the variety and doing the dishes!

Making sushi is a great way to offset the cost of getting it at restaurants. Japanese and Korean supermarkets usually carry sashimi grade fish, frozen unagi and imitiation crab sticks. All Asian markets should have nori and sushi rice. By doing it yourself you can end with 'more than you can eat' sushi for two people under $15 - the compromises are the variety and doing the dishes!

True.

Making your own rolls is also a great idea for a casual get together with friends. One can do all of the prep-work required in advance leaving the final assembly step for the guests. It adds to the fun.

Check your premises. Fresh fish smells delicious! : P

You are clearly evading the second part of my proof, in which I demonstrate quite definitively, exactly how awful the smell of fish is.

And here's my proof:

Fish smells gross.

QED

Interesting that you believe fish smells gross. If you take a moment to smell a piece of sushi grade fish, you will note that it does not smell like fish at all! This is sometimes the reason that people who hate seafood actually enjoy sushi very much.

I have a friend that eats a LOT of sushi. So much so her mercury levels are very high. She was told not to have any kids any time soon since it is so high.

As I said...she eats a LOT of sushi....

I thought not all sushi was raw? I have only had it twice...the last time a few years ago. I enjoyed it, but my stomach had issues. I haven't tried it since, but I probably will in January with my mercury tainted friend.

I thought not all sushi was raw? I have only had it twice...the last time a few years ago. I enjoyed it, but my stomach had issues. I haven't tried it since, but I probably will in January with my mercury tainted friend.

No, not all sushi is raw. You can have broiled eel, cooked egg cake (tamago), cooked shrimp, California rolls (cooked fake crabmeat with avocado and cucumber), and I think there are other choices as well.

I like sushi. My favorite are salmon and mackerel. Mackerel (saba) in particular is just plain delicious, so oily and yummy!

In Japan, I had sushi made with a form of fermented soy bean paste called natto. Now, that is disgusting...

According to my reading, sushi is a vinegared rice with some sort of topping. This means that I could prepare a vinegared rice, put ham on it and voila, sushi! What's interesting is that the mythology is that sushi means raw fish. This is what I'd always heard. Never thought to look it up until today!

For years I had an aversion to sushi, without ever trying it. Then, on a business trip to Japan, I finally did -- and it was love at first bite! :D

Oh yes, and ikura (salmon roe)...not for everyone, but definitely for me. I love those little exploding bits of salty deliciousness!

Me too. I'll spend five minutes popping every one of them between my teeth before I'll swallow it. : )

Interesting that you believe fish smells gross. If you take a moment to smell a piece of sushi grade fish, you will note that it does not smell like fish at all! This is sometimes the reason that people who hate seafood actually enjoy sushi very much.
That's a good point. I have an ex-girlfriend who hated seafood, but she liked sushi.
According to my reading, sushi is a vinegared rice with some sort of topping.
This is correct. "Sushi" is actually the name of the rice, technically. (It's just usually served with fish, and usually raw fish, and usually wrapped in seaweed).

I was first introduced to sushi in, of all places, Texas. I took that first bite and, man, I never looked back.

As for seafood in general, aside from raw oysters I have never met a seafood dish I didn't like. The best dinner plates have tentacles protruding from them.

As for seafood being evil, I have a counter-proof.

(1) The Flying Spaghetti Monster (Parmesan be upon Him) holds pirates in high esteem because they prevent global warming.

(2) Pirates clearly eat a lot of seafood.

(3) Therefore, seafood is good.

Q.E.D.