Stephen Speicher

Arrested Development (2003)

Rate this TV show   8 votes

1. 1. Rate this TV show

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 posts in this topic

Ooh! This is one of my favourite comedy shows! The humour requires you to pay close attention, and there's many jokes that you might not notice until your second or third viewing. Highly recommended!

I had heard good things about this show when it was on the air, and disappointment when it was cancelled, but never did get a chance to see it. Well, it's now available on hulu and I have watched most of the episodes. It's quite funny, and several characters in particular are hilarious. Since I haven't reached the end of the series, I'm not sure how it winds up, but there is talk of a movie in the works. Presumably it will tie up any loose ends. In any event, it's good fun worth checking out. :rolleyes:

I had heard good things about this show when it was on the air, and disappointment when it was cancelled, but never did get a chance to see it. Well, it's now available on hulu and I have watched most of the episodes. It's quite funny, and several characters in particular are hilarious. Since I haven't reached the end of the series, I'm not sure how it winds up, but there is talk of a movie in the works. Presumably it will tie up any loose ends. In any event, it's good fun worth checking out. :rolleyes:

I have this series on DVD and it’s one of my favorites. It’s difficult to explain why I like it so much, but I think it’s hilarious. Everything about this family’s success is accidental, and this is clear because the show starts out with the family head getting arrested and the stock of their building firm plummeting as a result. Yet with the exception of the sane member of the family, Michael (played by Jason Bateman) they all seem to expect the money to keep flowing. The name of the show is apt because, as Michael says later in the series, the family acts more like a group of adolescents than adults. Bateman is such a good fit for this show for his dry delivery, always in the manner of commenting to himself in the company of people too self-absorbed in their fantastical view of reality to hear him. Yet you have to laugh at him a little too, because he brought this on himself by choosing to keep the family and business together.

I also own this series on DVD. The first time I watched it I didn't really get it. There is no laugh track which can be disorienting if you grew up with them. The punch-lines are entirely different in nature than any other sitcom I can think of before it. Rather than the usual barbs thrown from character to character, a large portion of the laughs come from side comments as bborg mentioned in the case of Bateman's character. Other characters get the same mileage with rather bizarre self-confessions, accusations and exaggerated self-images. The narrator (Ron Howard) is also very funny as he will pop in throughout the show and negate claims made by the characters.

The basis of the show is one of my favorites and is not used very often (Wings is the only other sitcom that comes to mind). That is, there is a central character that is normal, responsible, mature; the viewpoint is largely his as he makes his way among a group of people - be it people he works with or a family - that are just not normal, responsible or mature.

This is certainly true with Arrested Development. Michael Bluth (played expertly by Jason Bateman) is put in the position of having to save his family from ruin after his father is thrown in jail for embezzlement. It is shown that he is a hard working, clear headed individual. He just can't seem to extricate himself from his family. They are pampered neurotics, and the juxtaposition is a major focus of the show. The cast is all very talented and there are recurring roles from Liza Minnelli (sp?), Henry Winkler (the Fonz), Carl Weathers, Scott Baio, and more.

I've seen each episode at least two or three times and I catch something new every time. Not all the jokes are obvious, a lot of them aren't. If you are used to laying back and half dependent on the laugh track queuing your time to laugh, you'll miss a lot.

Very recommended.

The basis of the show is one of my favorites and is not used very often (Wings is the only other sitcom that comes to mind). That is, there is a central character that is normal, responsible, mature; the viewpoint is largely his as he makes his way among a group of people - be it people he works with or a family - that are just not normal, responsible or mature.

I can appreciate and identify with that. It kinda sounds like MY life.

This show is very funny. Remniscient of Seinfeld, it has no deep moments or drama at all (unlike, say, The Office or Frasier). But also, like Seinfeld, it succeeds at what it attempts to do. In fact, if I were to pick the show that contains more laughs per minute than any other, I'd probably pick this one. The actors are brilliant, and unlike many shows, the female characters (Lucille Bluth especially) carry some of the serious comedic weight; that is, they're not only used to advance the plot, as is the case in Family Guy, for example. This show is great -- anyone who hasn't seen it should!

The cast is all very talented and there are recurring roles from Liza Minnelli (sp?), Henry Winkler (the Fonz), Carl Weathers, Scott Baio, and more.

One of my favorite lines in any comedy:

Bob Loblaw [scott Baio]: Actually, I was going to stay in my office tonight and work on my law blog.

Tobias: Of course— the “Bob Loblaw Law Blog.” Wow. You, sir, are a mouthful!

I'm not sure if this was also intended as a double entendre, coming from Tobias, or if I just have a dirty mind.

One of my favorite lines in any comedy:
Bob Loblaw [scott Baio]: Actually, I was going to stay in my office tonight and work on my law blog.

Tobias: Of course— the “Bob Loblaw Law Blog.” Wow. You, sir, are a mouthful!

I'm not sure if this was also intended as a double entendre, coming from Tobias, or if I just have a dirty mind.

Oh, it was absolutely a double entendre! Most of what comes out of Tobias's mouth is double entendres, and are hilarious. He is definitely one of my favorite characters, although Buster may be my favorite. It's hard to pick just one, because everyone does such a great job in that show. I will definitely see the movie if they make it, and it's looking like they will.

Oh, it was absolutely a double entendre! Most of what comes out of Tobias's mouth is double entendres, and are hilarious. He is definitely one of my favorite characters, although Buster may be my favorite. It's hard to pick just one, because everyone does such a great job in that show. I will definitely see the movie if they make it, and it's looking like they will.

Tobias is great, but I actually think Michael gets most of the best lines. And there was that very awkward exchange with the British woman when he needed help to get access to some "British eyes only" info regarding a firm his dad was involved with (if I have the details of that right):

Michael: I -- I was wondering if you might be willing to go somewhere with me? I -- I will pay you.

Rita: ... You'll pay me?

Michael: Not ... Not for sex. You're gonna think that I'm Jack the Ripper, right? Didn't he kill prostitutes, or ...

Rita: I'm not a prostitute.

Michael: And I shall let you live ... haha. This is my worst hello.

And then when he tries to asks if he can call on her again:

Michael: Pre-schools just go half-day, right? And I'm not trying to pick you up, but is there any way that I can, I can come by, pick you up, and bring you here?

Rita: Yeah, I, um, I suppose I could sneak out at nap time.

Michael: Yes? Perfect, great. And I shall drop you off alive, hooker or no. (mouths 'What is wrong with me?' as he walks off)

Ok I've got to stop, there are just so much funny stuff in the show. :)

Ok I've got to stop, there are just so much funny stuff in the show. :)

Wow, ok. There is. Sheesh.

My favorite, because it's so outlandish comes from an exchange with Michael and his brother Gob concerning Gob's wife as they are about to get divorced. Gob doesn't remember what his wife looks like remember.

Michael: You slept with her, but you don't remember if she has big cans?

Gob: ...I like to look at myself in the mirror...

Michael: Ok, that would be disgusting if you actually had slept with her.

Gob: I did, and it was disgusting.

Also the great thing about Tobias' double entendres is that he is not intentionally making them. He is (although never made really clear) a gay man that is oblivious to the fact, and he unintentionally says things that reveal in hilarity that part of him that is obvious to everyone else but that he has no clue of.

Tobias: (to Buster) We'll hit the town together. I'll be your wing man. Even if it means me taking a chubby, I'll suck it up.

Also from Tobias when he unintentionally gets White Power Bill to commit suicide, and is now Dorothy, prison leader.

Tobias (holding George Sr in a comforting hug and singing) Somewhere over the rainbow... there's another rainbow...."

I was recommended this series over a year ago. The 50-something year-old (an intellectual though Christian-conservative colleague) who recommended it had almost the same tastes I have in film and television.

It is hilarious!!! I have only watched parts of three episodes, but, when I saw them, I promised myself I would rent/buy the DVDs someday. Even though I haven't yet bought the DVDs (I have a backlog of John Wayne, James Cagney, Cary Grant, and Dae Jang Geum to complete), I thought it was important to praise Arrested Development while this thread was still active.

Very funny.

I would like to modify your quote submission to illuminate a comment you made earlier in this thread:

The narrator (Ron Howard) is also very funny as he will pop in throughout the show and negate claims made by the characters.

The full scene played out as follows:

Narrator: He didn't...But it would have been.

That interjection perfectly sums up Ron Howard's role in the show...and the delivery of all three in that scene is fantastic.