Stephen Speicher

Happy Birthday to JMR

5 posts in this topic

Wishing a very healthy and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to member JMR.

Considering Jared's interest in healthcare, for his Birthday we offer him a direct link to The World's Largest Public Repository of Hospital forms. And, in case Jared's pen runs out of ink or breaks while filling out all the forms, a little pen ambulance will go directly to The Fountain Pen Hospital. :)

Hippocrates005.jpg

Jared has such a beautifully stylish condo that I had to really rack my brain to think of a present that could possibly improve it. The only thing I could think of was a sculpture, perhaps one of the inexpensive but lovely reproductions from Basil Street Gallery:

"The Dying Slave"

BNG31617_vl.jpg

"Discobolos"

BNG32472_vl.jpg

Hopefully you can make room for them. :)

Happy Birthday, buddy!

Thank you, everyone. I feel as though I've had a three-day event, as family and friends have spread out the gifts, food, and cake from Tuesday through Thursday. It has been great!

Stephen: I loved the link to the hospital forms archive--how unique! Of course, I cringe to see so many paper artifacts generated by what could be a more digital environment, as well as to see so much administrative work generated by essentially a government organization. JCAHO, for those unfamiliar with the organization, is a private nonprofit group that has been granted the authority to accredit hospitals so that they can receive payment for treating Medicare patients. For all intents and purposes, it is a government-backed monopoly that acts to limit medical competition in the name of "ensuring standards." The resource that Stephen picked out apparently exists to help hospitals navigate all the confusion. Very interesting and ironic for a pro-capitalist forum! Cheers to the Hippocrates stamp, as well.

ADS: Thank you for the art links! I particularly love the famous Discobolos. So majestic. I wonder if the ancients had highly stylized form in athletics as well as aesthetics? (As a former sprinter who occasionally threw discus--to a humble PB of 121'11"--I can vouch that in modern times he'd be coached to have a wider base and more rotation!) It would mesh with my sport-as-art theory! Ahh, if only my condo had come with even just 0.0001 acre of land, I could have purchased and displayed it in the unrestricted, open air where it belongs. Maybe I could settle for a tabletop version. By the way, I do like that they photograph the pieces in a real context, rather than in a void. Very nice.

Betsy and SCS: Thanks! I certainly did have a wonderful day. Even my floor hockey team snapped its losing streak to get back onto the path of defending our championship. And, as I mentioned, the fun continues tonight with dinner at my parent's house. Salmon: my favorite. On the docket this weekend will be to finally relax and watch my new DVD boxed set of Horatio Hornblower films. Life is good.