RayK

Homes worthy of viewing

36 posts in this topic

Betsy, that's a beautiful house, and a bargain at $1.6m! If I had graduated 5 years ago I could afford it :D

And Wolff House... closest to my ideal house yet.

In France it seems architecture only went 2 ways: 1. Corbusier communist cattle blocks and 2. eco-"friendly" (therefore simple and cheap and uncomfortable). But thankfully we have a long and tumultuous history of luxury-loving individuals, most of whom were not industrialists, who left enough on the territoire to comfortably house at least a quarter of the American billionaire population.

(Un)fortunately, we have few very rich people so it keeps real estate prices low. For a similar price as the Wolff House this is what you can get in France:

http://www.perle-du-lac.com/immobilier-Ent...8300006301.html

8,000 sq ft of Sarrasin castle (what a view) - EUR 2.8m = USD 4.2m

97300006301.jpg

http://www.perle-du-lac.com/immobilier-en-...2000006301.html

13,000 sq ft of 1032 castle (renovated, and with Oxford-style quad) - EUR 4m = USD 6m

142800006301.jpg

144200006301.jpg

If you are French you'll recognize this familiar and warming style:

http://www.perle-du-lac.com/immobilier-en-...6700006301.html

Perfect for the Geneva trader to relax after a long day staring at a million flashing numbers.

"Only" 11,000 sq ft (my conversion may not be accurate :D) of 15th century castle, with two swimming pools, because one was obviously not enough. Not quite as good a view, but because it's closer to civilization (i.e. Geneve Cointrin Airport, with direct flights to NYC, London, Paris, etc.) the price is higher - EUR 6.3m = USD 9.4m

80400006301.jpg

Of course if a wealthy American sees this thread and buys the above (particularly the first) please do invite me in...

Betsy, I hope you enjoy the adventure whether you buy something or not. It looks like a very nice house to go through and or live in, someone might get a great deal with the market the way it is.

rtg24, this tower is amazing, thanks for sharing it w/ us. Are you in France? I'm in Paris, where we also have (shall I remind you) the Haussmanian style, which is pretty nice (even though the kitchens are always tiny).

Yes, currently in the Alps (am unwilling to be too specific publicly) obviously not too far from either towers, although fingers crossed I'll finally be in NYC early November... can't wait to see it again, properly this time (as a 6 year old the last time, it didn't make much of an impression).

G. E. Haussmann - now THAT was a builder! I do think Paris has a much grander architectural style than London, and even though the latter is where most of the power and money of Europe concentrates, the former looks like it should be that European capital, as I commented to my uncle the last time I visited. The problem I have with Paris is that it is so much less clean, since the cleaners are always either on strike or on holiday. The other problem with the "culture de l'axe" is that, much like in LA (although to nowhere near the same degree), you spend your time waiting to cross boulevards, which makes it much slower than London to do any kind of distance by foot.

But if income tax drops substantially below where it is now (50% + the 8.5% social charges, + all kinds of things that do add up steeply) I do not discount coming back...

Hmm... The street cleaners are very rarely on strike. The subway is really where most strikes strike, huh huh.... :D

Yeah, Paris is in good shape. Surrender sure beats the hell out of total air war, from an architecture preservation standpoint.

Paris has strict laws prohibiting high(er) rises everywhere outside of some well delimited areas, so the old buildings are mostly cleaned up and kept. It's not worth putting them down if you cannot build higher, as long as the structure is sound, of course.

Maybe it is because I go there only on holidays :D

Don't worry, they're building skyscrapers now - beautiful ones that will be eco-friendly and covered in green stuff:

http://www.telerama.fr/monde/26766-le_pari...la_capitale.php

I love the Tour Montparnasse, don't understand the hatred towards it... maybe it looks too American?

tour_montparnasse432.jpg

Reminds me of the Mordor tower in Lord of the Rings! I once stayed in the (4*? 5*? Meridien or something) hotel next to it and the view really is priceless (and whoever set the room rate agreed), even from the 10th floor.

We'll see. The Tour Montparnasse is rather non-descript in my opinion. People dislike the idea of towers for a variety of reasons. I like the symbol they represent, but most of the time I find them uninteresting. As a group, they can offer a nice skyline though.

We'll see. The Tour Montparnasse is rather non-descript in my opinion. People dislike the idea of towers for a variety of reasons. I like the symbol they represent, but most of the time I find them uninteresting. As a group, they can offer a nice skyline though.

Two experiences in NYC recently have struck my memory.

First, the 40th floor of 7 World Trade Centre. The view, simply stunning. The architecture, inside and outside, wonderful. It's the futuristic glass world that we should have had instead of concrete blocks.

7%20world%20trade%20center%20small.jpg

Second, a chance to attend a conference on the 27th floor of one of the Ave of the Americas towers around the Rockefeller centre.

450px-McGraw-Hill_Building_Rock_Center_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

Just wow! The view was incredible.

I'd say the simplicity is necessary. If you add anything to the floors, that spoils the sheer "vertical" impression that makes you feel lost amidst giants.

I would LOVE to occupy THIS home:

http://www.brownharrisstevens.com/detail.aspx?id=719103

There are photos of the finished thing somewhere. It's stunning. If somebody feels like searching a bit...

And Betsy - what a beautiful home... Lautner is now firmly on my "to watch" list!

There is a lovely Frank Lloyd home in Northern California that's now for sale and you can take a virtual tour of it right here.

Two experiences in NYC recently have struck my memory.

First, the 40th floor of 7 World Trade Centre. The view, simply stunning. The architecture, inside and outside, wonderful. It's the futuristic glass world that we should have had instead of concrete blocks.

7%20world%20trade%20center%20small.jpg

Second, a chance to attend a conference on the 27th floor of one of the Ave of the Americas towers around the Rockefeller centre.

450px-McGraw-Hill_Building_Rock_Center_b

Just wow! The view was incredible.

I'd say the simplicity is necessary. If you add anything to the floors, that spoils the sheer "vertical" impression that makes you feel lost amidst giants.

I would LOVE to occupy THIS home:

http://www.brownharrisstevens.com/detail.aspx?id=719103

There are photos of the finished thing somewhere. It's stunning. If somebody feels like searching a bit...

And Betsy - what a beautiful home... Lautner is now firmly on my "to watch" list!

Bauhause minimalism. The are as plain as vanilla.

What that lack is a surprise as the eye is guided upward.

ruveyn