Arnold

A School With Standards

3 posts in this topic

If you type in "Boys' High" into Google, the first name that comes up is my old school. Now I was a failure as a scholar and a sportsman, and was twice made to repeat a year at school. While I scraped through my matriculation, I was about the lowest standard to to exit this school. I say this in case you judge the school by my inputs to this Forum :)

I visited it twenty years later in 1981, and can tell you that although the grounds cover several square miles, not a scrap of litter or graffiti could be seen. Through an open doorway, I made out a ping pong table. There was a bat on each end, and under one of them, was the ball. Outside, was the tinkle of a fountain in a courtyard with flowers. From correspondence, I gather that the standards still prevail despite the adverse political circumstances; that the Masters still wear their gowns, and pupils stand up when they enter the room

Here is part of a letter I wrote to the school seven years ago:

"One word says it all about Boys’ High---Standards! Yes, even those on the sidelines absorb them. In too much of the world, standards are in decline, even held in contempt as belonging to absolutist fossilized minds. This created a desire in me to ‘visit’ once more a place where it matters whether or not your socks are up, and civilization prevails. [i was fairly often in detention for being late, half-mast socks etc.] Why weren’t these qualities appreciated by me at the time? Well, in a way they were, but standards were generally higher back then, and it seemed inconceivable that that would ever change. One takes for granted what surrounds one. While I may have found myself on the receiving end of Mr. Abernethy’s cane for breaking rules, I never challenged the concept of rules themselves. This is mentioned only to point out, that Boys’ High values prevailed even among the less conforming such as myself."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretoria_Boys_High_School

Touching story, Arnold. Thanks!

I attended Brooklyn Techincal High School, a school for which you had to compete fiercely to get in. The standards they set at the academic level, as well as for behavior, were remarkable. I don't know if they have maintained those standards, but I think that now they let girls attend. :)

Touching story, Arnold. Thanks!

I attended Brooklyn Techincal High School, a school for which you had to compete fiercely to get in. The standards they set at the academic level, as well as for behavior, were remarkable. I don't know if they have maintained those standards, but I think that now they let girls attend. :)

I had a look at your school site. What is interesting, is the term "Technical", in that it has a different meaning in South Africa. At your old school, there is, from what I can see, a full concentration on the academic subjects. In S.A., a 'Technical College' had it's focus more on practical application, and not on university preparation. Anyway it looks like yours was a good school (despite the girls :) ).

When I saw the name "Brooklyn" and "School" in your post, I was momentarily confused. You see, only a few miles from my old high school, was Brooklyn Primary School, which I also attended.

http://www.saschools.co.za/brooklyn/