B. Royce

Kipling's IF

11 posts in this topic

I have recently been led to a truly great reading Of Rudyard Kipling's "If".

Search for LibriVox, click on the 2nd entry, scroll down on the right and click on Our catalog, scroll down and click on Completed Poetry, scroll down and click on #36, Kipling's "If", then scroll down and click on version 3. read by Chip. You will be well-rewarded for all your scrolling and clicking :)

I might add that versions 1 and 2 are also delightful, being read by such young, clear and sincere voices.

I have recently been led to a truly great reading Of Rudyard Kipling's "If".

Search for LibriVox, click on the 2nd entry, scroll down on the right and click on Our catalog, scroll down and click on Completed Poetry, scroll down and click on #36, Kipling's "If", then scroll down and click on version 3. read by Chip. You will be well-rewarded for all your scrolling and clicking :D

I might add that versions 1 and 2 are also delightful, being read by such young, clear and sincere voices.

Here is a simpler way to get there, although I couldn't get it to play.

http://librivox.org/if-by-rudyard-kipling

I have recently been led to a truly great reading Of Rudyard Kipling's "If".... then scroll down and click on version 3. read by Chip.

That was just beautiful. His reading was different from what I hear in my head when I silently read that wonderful poem, so at first I had to re-orient myself towards the emphsis he chose to give. I'm glad I was able to do so, and thereby appreciate the poem anew. Thanks for the reference, Brian.

After hearing "Chip's" reading, I was unable to listen to either of these past the opening stanzas.

That was just beautiful. His reading was different from what I hear in my head when I silently read that wonderful poem, so at first I had to re-orient myself towards the emphsis he chose to give. I'm glad I was able to do so, and thereby appreciate the poem anew. Thanks for the reference, Brian.

After hearing "Chip's" reading, I was unable to listen to either of these past the opening stanzas.

I'm glad you could appreciate it. I had listened to the girls' readings first, and, since I had not heard anyone read poetry in such a long time, that fact alone elevated them in my ears.:)

I'm clicking on one of the mp3 lines, not the ogg.

Once it downloads, all I can see is a postage size Quick-time emblem. Nothing I did would get it to play, even updating Quick time. Finally I pasted the URL in Windows Media Player. That finally got it to work. Grrr

Anyway it is a good reading, although I would prefer a little less variation in tempo, as one's thoughts tend to flow at a more even pace. I do appreciate the natural way of delivery he does, over typical poetic cadence.

Thanks for posting this, B. Royce!

I enjoyed the reading by "Chip" - but my favorite reading was version 6, by "Kayvan Sylvan." I found most of the other versions to be too quick, without much emotion. But version 6 is closer to the way I read it in my head when I read this beautiful poem.

That's a cool website, lots of interesting material. "Chip" also has a good, dramatic reading of Poe's The Raven in the Poetry section, under Short Poetry Collection 003. It reminds me of an old recording of some Poe poems and short stories by Basil Rathbone, whose style was similar.

That's a cool website, lots of interesting material. "Chip" also has a good, dramatic reading of Poe's The Raven in the Poetry section, under Short Poetry Collection 003. It reminds me of an old recording of some Poe poems and short stories by Basil Rathbone, whose style was similar.

I heard some of Rathbone's recordings years ago. I also have a very fond memory of Fredrich March doing The Midnight Ride Of Paul Revere with some well-adapted music in the background.