Lady Brin

Haute Couture Hijab?

9 posts in this topic

I wanted to put the image in the post, but something about dynamic links not working?

Don't know how long this url will be available.

A model presents a creation by French designer Jean-Paul Gaultier as part of his Spring-Summer 2007 Haute Couture fashion collection in Paris

Is this the haute couture of a hijab or the Islamic veil? It is certainly prettier than the god-awful - or should that be allah-awful black one. Does anyone understand the rules for when there's only a peep-hole for the eyes and when it's just a scarf? Just the thought of having to wear one gives me the hibbie jibbies.

Lady Brin

:D:D:D Yikes is that UGLY!!!!! What does this reveal about the designer's metaphysical values?

;):D If this catches on and includes those big black full length things, we won't have anymore whining about too thin heroin-chic runway models. The fat-is-beautiful-crowd will be in heaven. You won't be able to tell which women are in shape are which are slobs. THIS HAS GOT TO BE FOUGHT!

The picture appears to me to mock the Statue of Liberty by placing a pacifier in the mouth of the model and a chain on the top of the head. Personally, I think the designer is attacking America or making fun of her.

The picture appears to me to mock the Statue of Liberty by placing a pacifier in the mouth of the model and a chain on the top of the head. Personally, I think the designer is attacking America or making fun of her.

You exactly identified it. Ah well, let's see how the French continue to handle the Islamic problem. So far their pretentions at having a better culture and language haven't done much to stop that insidious cancer in their country.

I didn't even think of that. Looking for his inspiration, I found

Paris - We never thought of Jean Paul Gaultier, the bad boy of French fashion infamous for his revival of the cod piece and for Madonna's conical bustier, as terribly devout. But the designer found inspiration in religion in the beguiling and exotic haute couture collection he presented Wednesday afternoon in Paris.

Here's the rest of the outfit.

It doesn't appear to be a comfy dress.

Lady Brin

=========

:D:D:D Yikes is that UGLY!!!!! What does this reveal about the designer's metaphysical values?

;):D If this catches on and includes those big black full length things, we won't have anymore whining about too thin heroin-chic runway models. The fat-is-beautiful-crowd will be in heaven. You won't be able to tell which women are in shape are which are slobs. THIS HAS GOT TO BE FOUGHT!

I second this.

I really genuinely don't understand the culture of Fashion Models/Shows. They design grotesque clothing that no one would get caught dead in (except maybe Björk), and pay malnourished women millions to saunter around in them :D

"But the designer found inspiration in religion...."

It doesn't appear to be a comfy dress.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:D:D:D:D !!!!!!!! what religion inspired the rest of the outfit? Pastafarianism?

:D:D Don't worry about comfy: I don't think Lindsay would mind this if you ditched the stuff from the neck up..... ;):D

The first link was a photo of the day, so it's gone. Is this it?

capt.sge.lmj09.250107003221.photo00.photo.default-340x512.jpg

The only good use I see for it is for Halloween, as Spiderman's stepmother?? I'm not sure I agree about the burka-inspiration, and thankfully I don't see Lady Liberty's influence. There have alas, been some horrible mockeries of her.