esthetic idea

GOOD music for ballroom

6 posts in this topic

My experience is that the music selection used at ballroom dances is often not very inspiring. My request is: please share with me your favorite danceable music.

I am looking for all species, with emphasis on waltzes (slow waltzes, no Vienese waltzes) and rumba's.

Two friends and I organize a weekly tango dance ("milonga") and we're experimenting with a once-a-month "with ballroom" dance, mixing in some ballroom music during part of the night.

What I am looking for is: uplifting and romantic, not vulgar. I am not against energetic and exciting but I found out during the first trial that some participants take this as an invitation for giving drunken cowboy imitations.

The mood of our milonga is very civilized, yet not sanitized, it is an uplifting and welcoming environment. The mood was broken in the ballroom experiment, which is not acceptable, and so I want to give it an other try to see if improving the music selection can repair it.

Our goal is to encourage more ballroom dancers to try Argentine Tango--people who otherwise would be intimidated and discouraged from coming to an evening that to them has only dancing of an unfamiliar, new kind.

My experience is that the music selection used at ballroom dances is often not very inspiring. My request is: please share with me your favorite danceable music.

I am looking for all species, with emphasis on waltzes (slow waltzes, no Vienese waltzes) and rumba's.

Two friends and I organize a weekly tango dance ("milonga") and we're experimenting with a once-a-month "with ballroom" dance, mixing in some ballroom music during part of the night.

What I am looking for is: uplifting and romantic, not vulgar. I am not against energetic and exciting but I found out during the first trial that some participants take this as an invitation for giving drunken cowboy imitations.

The mood of our milonga is very civilized, yet not sanitized, it is an uplifting and welcoming environment. The mood was broken in the ballroom experiment, which is not acceptable, and so I want to give it an other try to see if improving the music selection can repair it.

Our goal is to encourage more ballroom dancers to try Argentine Tango--people who otherwise would be intimidated and discouraged from coming to an evening that to them has only dancing of an unfamiliar, new kind.

hi Esthetic!

I wish there were a good sampler site for music, but I don't know of one. Many friends of mine have spent hours making compilations. If you were in Boston, I'd suggest a studio for ideas. But, hmm, maybe you c ould pay them over the phone or something. Dawna Nocera, imho, has wonderful taste in music.

What exact songs caused thse "drunken" imitations? I am more of a ballroom person than argentine. I like more variety in my music and moves, so this surprises me. I'm glad you're hosting evenings ;)

Here is a list of a few hundred songs used for competitions. A lot of the songs I don't know the names to, but they play all the time. A good resource is DanceVision.com. Also, to hear short samples, just use Amazon for some of these.

Some of my favorites:

Waltz: Come Away With Me by Norah Jones.

Bolero: Lots of songs by Luis Miguel, whose albums Romance, Romances, and Segundo Romance are entirely boleros. My fave is La Baca. Also good is Madonna's Take A Bow.

Night Club Two Step, East and West Coast Swing: I like the classic blues rock of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Rumba: Every Breath You Take by The Police. And I Love Her by The Beatles. Wicked Game by Chris Isaak.

Cha Cha: Crazy by Gnarls Barkley

Foxtrot: just about anything by Sinatra. Volare by Dean Martin.

I found a discussion of pop Samba songs that included the following:

Young Americans – David Bowie

Lady Love, by Lou Rawls

All Night Long - Lionel Richie

You'll Never Find - Lou Rawls

Rock Your Baby - George MacRae

Bailamos by Enrique Iglesias

Ain't it Funny by Jennifer Lopez

Whenever Wherever by Shakira

Maria by Ricky Martin

Que Nadie Sepa Mi Sufrir - Julio Iglesias

Hey Mama - Black Eyed Peas

The Power of Bhangra (Vs Motivo) - Snap!

Kiss Kiss by Stella Soleil

Tic Tic Tac (Fruit of the Loop) by Fruit de la Passion

Aserejé (The Ketchup Song) by Las Ketchup

La Tortura (Shaketon Remix) by Shakira

casanova (is it paulina rubio?)

Thalia's Piel Morerna and Amor a la Mexicana

Scandalous Mis-Teeq

trouble- Bonnie McKee

"Tempted to Touch" by Rupee

Gwen Stefani's "If I was a rich girl"

Barry Manilow - Copacabana?

Tom Jones' "It's Not Unusual"

Dip it Low - Christina Milian

Rush - Rihanna

Almost anything by Sean Paul

Iko Iko - Belle Stars

Conga - Gloria Estefan

Rich Girl - Gwen Stefani & Eve

La Isla Bonita - Madonna

In the Summertime - Mungo Jerry

Pon de Replay - Rihanna

Hips Don't Lie - Shakira

Ooh La La - Chicadee

Hope this helps. There's a substantial record collection here, but fortunately iTunes is great for hosting a dance party.

Thank you ELee, it is good to know of your friend's existence as a potential future contact.

The Argentine Tango music that I love most is derived, it seems directly, from the classical/romantic music of Europe. I think introvertness is an important element of tango music, and this grounds the special quality of the intimacy of the connection between the partners in tango.

My tentative conclusion is that I want music in other genres that has the same affinity to the classical music, IN SPIRIT.

It is interesting that in the development of tango music there was a rift between the "old guard" orchestra leaders and a new generation, with the new style being condemned as "vulgar", around the same time that jazz went through its major development.

I love jazz and big band music from the '30's and 40's, I can find plenty of wonderful foxtrots.

Of course popular music styles have kept devolving through cycles of increasing vulgarity, and I think that as far as my milonga is concerned there is a critical break so that for example classic rock spoils the mood. Maybe it has to do with lack of introvertness. Some individual artists still transcend this break of course.

Thank you very much Ed! Your list is a good hunting ground.

Here is a list of a few hundred songs[ .....]

Some of my favorites:

[...]

Hope this helps. There's a substantial record collection here, but fortunately iTunes is great for hosting a dance party.

You may want to look in the field of light music for music that is somewhat classical but also very danceable. For example I recently gave a speech on light music and one of the examples I used was "The Golden Tango" by Victor Silvester. The light music field abounds with waltzes. You might try a CD put out by Guild Light Music called "Marching and Waltzing" from a BBC show that featured nothing but . . . well . . . marches and waltzes. The CD has about 10 or 11 waltzes, most of which are eminently danceable.

If you'd like to get in touch with me to discuss this issue further with more specific examples, that would be fine with me.

Jesse F. Knight