Stephen Speicher

Weekend event at Founders College -- March 3rd

9 posts in this topic

This looks like an interesting weekend event at Founders College. From The Charlotte Capitalist.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Founder's College Weekend Get Away

Lee Sandstead called and then followed up with the following. He wants to make sure that all of our friends in the Carolinas are aware of the following. I am planning on attending. If you make a reservation be sure to mention Lee's name. The rate is only $35 per night.

Hello my friends!

You are invited for a weekend get-away to Founders College at our beautiful 1,200 acre Berry Hill location in South Boston, Virginia on the weekend of March 3rd. Bring yourself, your friends, your family—bring anyone interested.

On Saturday, March 3, there will be a great deal of discussion by Dr. Gary Hull and Tamara Fuller of our vision, including the particulars of our revolutionary curriculum and business model.

An exact agenda will be delivered to you shortly. The price to stay for the weekend is $35 per night per room—that is an 80% discount. So come early and stay late! For $35, I’ll probably be staying on the property myself!

Oh, and did I mention that we are only 30 miles from Red Hill, the last plantation and burial place of Patrick Henry? And that we are only 50 miles from Poplar Forest, the summer home of Thomas Jefferson? Let’s go visit!

And in the spirit of the weekend, Edward Cline, author of the widely-popular “Sparrowhawk” series will be on site to sell and autograph your books.

To reserve a space at this event, please RSVP by telephone (to Ray Weiss at 202.438.6104) or go here by February 22.

Here are some relevant links:

Official website for Founders College

Official website for the Inn at Berry Hill

My pictures of Berry Hill

Official website for Patrick Henry

Official website for Thomas Jefferson’s summer home

Official website for Edward Cline

I look forward to seeing you soon.

Lee Sandstead

Thanks Lee for letting us know about this...

Wow, me having just finished a most moving biography of Patrick Henry, this would be an awesome place to go! Too bad great events like this are planned at times of the year which are busy for us students...

I just received the following agenda for the weekend:

You are invited for a weekend get-away to Founders College at our beautiful 700 acre Berry Hill location in South Boston, Virginia on the weekend of March 3rd. Bring yourself, your friends, your family—bring anyone interested. On Saturday, March 3, there will be a great deal of discussion by Dr. Gary Hull and Tamara Fuller of our vision, including the particulars of our revolutionary curriculum and business model.

To reserve a space at this event, please RSVP by telephone (to Ray Weiss at 202.438.6104) or go to www.founderscollege.com/contactus/ by February 22.

Founders College—A First Look

Saturday, March 3rd

9:15–9:30a Welcome to Founders College & Weekend Overview

Jayne Pennington

Chief Marketing Officer, Founders College

9:30--10:15a The Business of Founders College: Breaking New Ground

Tamara Fuller

Co-Founder, Founders College

Ms. Fuller welcomes you to Founders with a rare, inside look at the business and economic model behind the first for-profit liberal arts college ever attempted. Discussion includes choice of location, business components and synergies, customer focus, branding and marketing strategies, talent and staffing, how the enterprise was financed, and real estate development plans.

10:15–11:00a The Founders Education: A Rational Approach to Higher

Education

Gary Hull, Ph.D.

Co-Founder, Founders College

What makes the Founders education the best in the world? Dr. Hull discusses the elements of our distinctive approach for training students: unique content and how it differs from that of other colleges, the copyrighted curriculum, and the qualifications and training of faculty. Specific courses are reviewed, including the manner in which classes build to provide an integrated body of liberal arts knowledge.

11:00–11:45a Founders Campus Tour

Lee Sandstead

Chair, Art History Department, Founders College

11:45–12:30p Q&A

12:30--1:30p Lunch

1:30–2:30p Sample Class--Context is King

Gary Hull, Ph.D.

What does it mean to say that knowledge is contextual? How is context the means of attaining certainty and of protecting oneself from accepting unwarranted ideas and conclusions?

3:00–4:00p Leading a Winning Campus Club

Daniel Rathbone

Technologist, Founders College

Recruitment and operational strategies for a successful campus organization.

4:00–5:30p Refreshments at Darby’s Tavern

Free Time, Spa time (additional fee)

http://www.berryhillplantationresort.com/spa.htm

6:00–7:30p Dinner

Yamato Japanese Hibachi Restaurant

8:00–10:00p FLAMENCO VIVO CARLOTA SANTANA Music and Dance

at the Prizery (additional fee)

http://www.prizery.com/Theatre.htm

or

Movie Night at Founders College.

Love Letters is a 1945 film adapted by Ayn Rand from the novel by Christopher Massie.

“Alan Quinton (Joseph Cotton), a soldier in Italy during World War II, has been writing letters for his friend Roger Morland (Robert Scully), a man who admits he ‘never had any standards, manners or taste.’ He has never met Victoria Remington, but regards her as a ‘pin-up girl of the spirit,’ to whom he can express feelings he's never expressed in person. He realizes that Victoria has fallen in love with the letters and is concerned that Victoria will be disappointed by the real Roger.”

Sunday, March 4th

8:00 – 9:30a Books and Breakfast

Ed Cline

Mr. Cline is the author of the suspense novels First Prize and Whisper the Guns. He has written for a variety of publications including the Colonial Williamsburg Journal and Marine Corps League. His essay on John Locke was reprinted in the college textbook Western Civilization II, published by McGraw-Hill/Dushkin.

He is best known for his six-volume Sparrowhawk series, a fictional prelude to the founding of America. Skillfully dramatizing the ideas that lead to the American Revolution, many have referred to this series as a masterpiece of historical fiction.

The author will be pleased to autograph his books, in limited supply.

9:30 – 10:30a Drive to Red Hill

10:30 – 2:00p Patrick Henry Tour at Red Hill

(Box lunches from Vintner’s Cellar)

Jon Kukla, Ph.D.

Mr. Kukla has been Executive Vice-President and director of Red Hill—The Patrick Henry National Memorial since January 2000. Born in Wisconsin, he graduated from Carthage College and accepted his Ph.D. from the University of Toronto. He is a recognized authority on 17th and 18th-century American history, with special emphasis on the early history of Virginia.

Cost for Weekend: $35.00 per room, per night (any occupancy) plus

$44.00 per person 2-day meal/event package (incl.

Saturday lunch, dinner, Sunday breakfast and snacks)

Additional Fees: Patrick Henry House and Grounds Tour: $6 plus $15 lunch.

Spa Services—prices varies

Flamenco Performance: $25 student, $35 adult (must

pre-register)

Movie and popcorn free.

Interesting Links

Official website for Founders College: www.founderscollege.com

Official website for the Inn at Berry Hill: http://www.berryhillplantationresort.com/

Lee Sandstead’s pictures of Berry Hill: www.sandstead.com/images/berry_hill

Official website for Patrick Henry: http://www.redhill.org/

Official website for Thomas Jefferson’s summer home: http://www.poplarforest.org/

Official website for Edward Cline: http://www.edwardcline.com/

Article by Nicholas Provenzo: http://www.founderscollege.com/News/provenzo_fired_up.html

Wow this sounds interesting, and I live close enough to attend, but I don't want to crash a party intended primarily for major contributors or prospective students.

Does anyone know the target audience for this event?

Wow this sounds interesting, and I live close enough to attend, but I don't want to crash a party intended primarily for major contributors or prospective students.

Does anyone know the target audience for this event?

Well, the public blog entry which I posted in the first post of this thread, says "He wants to make sure that all of our friends in the Carolinas are aware of the following." I guess if you are friendly (which I know you are) and in the Carolinas, then you qualify. :) But, if you or anyone have any reservations about attending, or other questions about the event, I guess it would be best to email one of the contacts listed in the first post.

If I were in the Carolinas, I surely would like to go myself. Sounds like a wonderful weekend.

Hmm, so, how big exactly is the estate? Stephen's version said 1200 acres, Daniel Rathbone's said 700, and the Founder's website says 660. Odd.

I'm not interesting in going to Founder's (right now anyway, it might be cool to go back later and get a literature degree or something) but I would love to attend this event if I were close enough.

Zak

Hmm, so, how big exactly is the estate? Stephen's version said 1200 acres, Daniel Rathbone's said 700, and the Founder's website says 660. Odd.

I guess some people are more optimistic than others. :)

But, seriously, it is a bit odd. The old Berry Hill Plantation website, the original property that was purchased, lists the property at 650 acres. That figure is the closest to the Founders' figure. Or, perhaps additional property is included in the higher figures. As I recall, the plan called for something like retirement homes and the like.

I am delinquent in posting a followup to this topic but before it gets too stale:

I attended this open-house event several weekends ago. I had no prior personal experience with Gary Hull or any of the other Founders College team, but I was uniformly pleased with everything I saw.

I commend to you this post from The Rule of Reason Blog if you haven't already seen it.

My own personal commentary is from my point of view of a lawyer who firmly places himself in the "Student of Objectivism" category.

The business plan appears to me to be well thought out and fully capable of being achieved. The physical plant they have chosen at Berry Hill is outstanding and worth a trip just for the atmosphere. It is a perfect setting for a teaching facility.

Certainly this project is at a fragile stage, and it is probably more proper to discuss what Founders College "will be" rather than what Founders College "is" at present. At present it is a work in progress, but the elements are there and the Founders College team appears to be working intelligently to bring the ideas and goals to reality.

Pardon an imperfect analogy but I am reminded of the controversy I see playing out over the movie "300". Neither 300 nor Founders College may fit the definition of "the ultimate" of every fan of Ayn Rand, but in the context of the wasteland that is all around us in both popular culture and the education establishment, both the "300" movie and the Founders College project stand out as examples worthy of praise and support.