Scott A.

Criticism and Personality: A Juncture for Objectivism

27 posts in this topic

What I'd like to ask is, how far could you participate in this topic given your time contrainsts? I find a thousand questions, and I'd like to put some concretes to see if we can put some flesh on what I find to be a fascinating subject you've started here.

Thanks, Thoyd. I think I can participate a good amount. Go ahead and post and I'll respond as often and thoroughly as I can. If I know something is coming up that will take me away from this for a time, I'll say so in a post.

Except in cases of true sadism and psychopathy, most people who belittle others are, internally, demeaning themselves even worse. What you see or experience directly when they attack is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of how they punish themselves. Indeed, when someone, unprovoked, belittles another publicly, I believe it is, most often, self-torture made visible. This doesn't excuse it or in any way make it right. In fact, such behavior must be called to the person's attention, publicly if necessary. However, knowing this makes it a lot easier to not take an unprovoked attack personally.

As you probably remember, from reading some of my posts in the Psychology section (e.g. "The Moral Status of the Typical Average Man"), I have a low opinion of the majority of the members of mankind. Yet I feel devoid of guilt. I believe that I have a high self-esteem. Would you agree with me, that your observation does not apply to me, since I do not go around belittling and attacking people without provocation?

I feel no need to convey my contempt to people I meet, aside from writing the articles here on Forums.4AynRandFans, where I hoped that people would understand my view on an intellectual level. I wrote the articles on the subject of my contempt for The Immoral Majority, because I wanted to get it off my chest, so to speak.