Stephen Speicher

L.A. Story (1991)

Rate this movie   4 votes

1. 1. Rate this movie

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 posts in this topic

I find this film hilarious. Steve Martin perfectly captures the way everyone outside California sees California (and maybe the way California sees itself). There's nothing philosophical about it, it's just funny.

One of my favorite movies. It's a bit dated now (as many jokes refer more to late-80s culture than today's) but I still recommend it to someone thinking of moving to L.A. and wants to know what it's like out here.

The movie begins as a comedy and ends as a romance, bouncing between the two as the film progresses, with two scoops of magical realism thrown in. The jokes send up many stereotypes about L.A., while L.A. serves as the backdrop for a romance. The point is that L.A. itself is the center of the film, and as many have said, Martin here does for L.A. what Woody Allen did for New York.

When it comes to Steve Martin's films, I look to whether or not he wrote it. Generally, the ones he wrote are amazing; the ones he didn't are awful (Sgt. Bilko, anyone?). Well, this story is one he worked on for several years, much like Tarantino did with Kill Bill, and the love for the story and the city shine through.

Overall I give the film an 8. There are many really great jokes, and the romantic thread is terrific, but I find the movie a bit uneven. The actress playing Martin's love interest is fine, but doesn't generate the kind of heat that would set Martin's character's world on fire; a different actress may have done better.

But I nitpick here; the film is funny, romantic, sweet, and worth seeing.

This movie never fails to bring about many laughs for me.

SPOILERS BELOW

Two of the most memorable parts for me deal with Steve Martin while in his car. The first is how he has to leave at an exact time for work as he is driving through alley-ways and just barely missing crossing traffic. The other is while he is on the freeway and his alarm goes off signaling that it is rush hour. As Steve Martin starts to look in his glove compartment an old lady in a passing Beetle starts firing her gun.

size=5]Warning: There are spoilers about this movie in this post.

I just put it in to watch again. The scene when they go to dinner at the restaurant, L'Idiot (pronounced lee-dee-oh): genius. And the sunrises to the sound of racing engines. Skating through the art museum. So many great moments. And you're right about the romance, Ed.

Still watching:

"Oh pointy birds

Oh pointy pointy

Anoint..."

*window slams shut*

Sorry - it just cracks me up. ROTFL.gif

Still watching:

"Oh pointy birds

Oh pointy pointy

Anoint..."

*window slams shut*

Sorry - it just cracks me up. ROTFL.gif

FYI -- Martin first read from that poem in 1983's The Man With Two Brains.

size=5]Warning: There are spoilers about this movie in this post.

I just put it in to watch again. The scene when they go to dinner at the restaurant, L'Idiot (pronounced lee-dee-oh): genius.

And don't forget the name of the hotel they visit: El Pollo del Mar. Anyone here know Spanish? :)

And don't forget the name of the hotel they visit: El Pollo del Mar. Anyone here know Spanish? :)

I think "El Pollo del Mar" means; Chicken of the Sea.

I liked a lot of the humor throughout the film. The bits are too numerous to name. :)

As Ed said, though, I also really liked some of the bits about the romance in the film as well.

Warning: There are spoilers about this movie in this post.

One of my favorite scenes is the metaphor montage that they use when the couple first falls in love. The whole sequence is great, but the lion statues bowing before their innocence always gives me a little chill down the spine.