Stephen Speicher

Business success: Ayn Rand "helped light the way"

6 posts in this topic

From the 2/19/07 San Diego Business Journal.

Renaissance Woman Fulfills Ideals in 21st Century Design World

Sheryll Jackman’s Turnkey Services Include Construction, Real Estate, and Retail Sales

By PAT BRODERICK

San Diego Business Journal Staff

The late writer Ayn Rand was both vilified and canonized during her lifetime an advocate of either selfishness or self-fulfillment, depending on one’s point of view. For Sheryll Jackman, the self-made powerhouse of Coronado, Rand helped light the way.

“Ayn Rand changed my life, because of what she wrote about what people are capable of doing,” said Jackman, 61. “You have to go for it.”

A licensed general contractor, a real estate broker and certified interior designer, Jackman is president and designer of Jackman Industries Inc., the parent corporation that includes the Jackman Group, a purveyor of planning, design and construction services, and her retail operations — Seaside Home stores in Coronado and La Jolla, which carry high-end furnishings and accessories; and Coronado-based Seaside Paperie, specializing in stationery, invitations and gift items. She employs a staff of 30 for her diversified activities, including her own painters and finished carpenters.

In addition to launching the local businesses, Jackman is credited with helping to revitalize Coronado through her work with MainStreet Ltd., an independent agency that worked to improve the downtown business district along Orange Avenue and as a member of a City Council-appointed committee, which had been charged with developing a master plan for Coronado’s business districts.

[...]

“The thing that has worked well for Sheryll, on the commercial side, she looks at function,” said Grant. “She is sharp, a Renaissance woman. I have never seen her anything but calm.”

Thank you for the posting Stephen of this article.

My pleasure, Ray, though we should probably both thank Sheryll Jackman and Miss Rand.

Isn't it wonderful to come across public references to Miss Rand's effect on the lives of others. :)

I agree that it is a treat to hear of such people.

I cannot help but make note of the first sentence of the article.

The late writer Ayn Rand was both vilified and canonized during her lifetime an advocate of either selfishness or self-fulfillment, depending on one's point of view.

I'll pass over the "canonized" characterization. But selfishness or self-fulfillment! :) I suppose "one's point of view" thinks those two are mutually exclusive.

I'll pass over the "canonized" characterization. But selfishness or self-fulfillment! :) I suppose "one's point of view" thinks those two are mutually exclusive.

Janet, your statment reminded me of a client I once had. The client and I were talking about self-esteem and he said that he did not think he had self-esteem, he had "a good self-worth. So I quoted my dictionary, with one of it's definitions of worth; the value of something measured by its qualities or by the esteem in which it is held. I basically showed him that his "good self-worth", comes from self-esteem, to hold one self in high regard. His response was, "I think good self worth is a better term."

Situations like this, and I have many of them in my office, remind me of the times I have had to deal with those idiotic NLP'ers who are so afraid to even mention certain words as they think they are intrinsically bad.

On the bright side, I have many people that make proper changes to their understanding of words, then their ethics, then their philosophy and then fulfill their selfish goals.