Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zhraath

Art of Thinking

4 posts in this topic

I was considering buying Leonard Peikoff's "Art of Thinking" CD lecture series for $220. If you own this, and would be kind enough to share some of your thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks =)

Marcus Lange

I was considering buying Leonard Peikoff's "Art of Thinking" CD lecture series for $220. If you own this, and would be kind enough to share some of your thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks =)

It's a worthwhile course. I think of it as "the rest of Understanding Objectivism". I haven't listened to my copy for quite some time, so I can't give you much in the way of details.

It is certainly worth the price. I bought it in, I think, '93 when I was only making $5.25/Hr. And that was a crappy old tape and the question and answer periods were of very poor sound quality.

I got this and Understanding Objectivism at the same time almost. UO is more geared to understanding 3 main approaches to thought (2 incorrect, 1 proper) and there is an emphasis on real, personal, life-concrete application. I would consider it a wider application than The Art of Thinking. And I would recommend UO before TAT in the order of listening. Both, in my opinion, are important to being able to understand and use Objectivism in one's daily life.

The Art of Thinking is straight epistemology with dozens of exercises and even more examples. The lectures on thinking in essentials and thinking in principles alone pay for the price. He leads you step by step through the process of arriving at an essential of a concrete. If I remember correctly: the process of thinking in essentials, for instance, was essentially analysis (and discarding the non-essential). He then guides you through the process that he himself used in his article Why Johnny Can't Think.

He makes all of the points crystal clear, and, if you apply the principles and work at it hard, you will see a stupendous expansion in the power and clarity of your own thinking. But would also suggest Understanding Objectivism where he reveals numerous pitfuls that you might not even be aware of.

Thank you very much for the feedback! If I can muster up the cash, I will definitely buy UO and the Art of Thinking. Learning to think better/more efficiently would be very helpful especially since I am going off to law school next semester

Marcus Lange

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0