Carlos

Check you Peter-Pan Peanut Butter!!

13 posts in this topic

FDA Warns Consumers Not to Eat Certain Jars of Peter Pan Peanut Butter and Great Value Peanut Butter

Product May be Contaminated With Salmonella

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01563.html

I thought something was amiss when I bought groceries at Wal-Mart the other night, and discovered that all of the Peter-Pan products had been completely removed from the peanut-butter section. Then today I learned of the salmonella infestation!

If the product's serial number begins with "2111..." throw it away!! :)

As a post-script, I realize this story is dated, but I had no idea about it until today, and had just started eating one of the possibly infected jars. So I posted this for other people like myself who don't keep up with the news very well.

I'm sure the risk is slight, but after having food-poisoning once, I definitely don't want to go through that again! :)

I was about three-fourths the way through one of the 2111 jars when the story broke last week. I'm fine.

I've sworn by Peter Pan peanut butter for over ten years, so I just hope this recall isn't enough to keep the brand out of the stores for much longer. When I went to the store to get a replacement jar, they had none :)

I never liked peanut butter. :)

I never liked peanut butter. :)

So how do you get things to stick to the roof of your mouth?

I was about three-fourths the way through one of the 2111 jars when the story broke last week. I'm fine.

I've sworn by Peter Pan peanut butter for over ten years, so I just hope this recall isn't enough to keep the brand out of the stores for much longer. When I went to the store to get a replacement jar, they had none :)

I was partially through mine and haven't noticed anything as well. The chance of getting ill probably isn't that high, though, like I said, food-poisoning is definitely not something I'd like to roll the dice on!

I'm 9/10ths of the way through a 211 jar (have been eating it for the past month or so). Three days ago I experienced flu-like symptoms (high fever, cough, sour throat). I'm gonna check myself into the clinic just to be safe.

I'm 9/10ths of the way through a 211 jar (have been eating it for the past month or so). Three days ago I experienced flu-like symptoms (high fever, cough, sour throat). I'm gonna check myself into the clinic just to be safe.

I'm not saying you're doing this, but your post made me think: How many people are going to blame any illness they've had recently on this recall? I bet the class-action lawsuits have started, I don't even want to google the news to see so.

[...] How many people are going to blame any illness they've had recently on this recall? I bet the class-action lawsuits have started, I don't even want to google the news to see so.

I'm not sure that I see how law suits could get out of control in this case, because I think that anyone who suffered some illness would have to show that they ate some peanut better with a specific lot number, and that they were infected with salmonella.

To be sure, if someone did eat the peanut butter, was infected with salmonella, and wanted more than justice, he might try to exaggerate any ill effects so that he could retire at the expense of the company or something. But I don't think that just any illness can simply be attributed to salmonella poisoning, without evidence of having been infected with that specific bacteria.

I'm not saying you're doing this, but your post made me think: How many people are going to blame any illness they've had recently on this recall? I bet the class-action lawsuits have started, I don't even want to google the news to see so.

Actually, I google-searched Peter-Pan, and one of their paid advertising links that appeared was a Law-Firm offering legal consultation for a suit over this Peanut-butter scandal! :)