Betsy Speicher

Your Avatar

35 posts in this topic

I picked my avatar -- that picture to the left of my postings -- because ... well, that's me. Other members of THE FORUM have done likewise with nice pictures of themselves.

What really intrigues me are the avatars that aren't portraits -- or maybe they are in some way. I have the feeling that the chosen pictures have an important personal meaning to THE FORUM members who use them and that really arouses my curiosity.

I'd love to know why you picked the one you did if you would like to tell us.

One day I might take the time to upload a photo of my handsome self for all the ladies here too appreciate. :) Until then out of the default avatars available I liked the one I chose the best because it clearly shows my interest in physics, it stands out easily, and has an aspect to it that yells out caution. But sometimes I wonder if it stands out too much, like if I were to dye my hair blue or something. :)

I chose my avatar because it (and the moniker I go by, "The General") originated with my blog, before I knew about any of the forums online. So it simply "carried over".

For those of you who didn't know it, my avatar is a picture of the heroic general of the civil war, William Tecumseh Sherman (hence the quotation at the end of each of my postings).

I chose General Sherman because of his courage, fortitude, audacity and independence.

During the civil war, he made an unprecedented move of leading an army of 60,000 men from Atlanta to Savannah, then north through the Carolinas, without supplies. His intention: to destroy the South's willingness and capacity to continue fighting the North. Many people thought the idea crazy, but Sherman was convinced that his plan would work. I greatly admire that he stuck to his vision, in the face of great opposition, and then succeeded.

For a good introduction to him, I'd recommend Victor Davis Hanson's excellent book, The Soul of Battle.

I've been using my avatar for years. It's odd - somehow it captures an essential component of my character, one which has remained constant through all the (sometimes enormous) changes I've gone through over the years. It would have fit back in the day when I had no philosophy (had I had it at that time), it fit through my years of searching through religion, and it fits now that I've found Objectivism. It may seem frivolous at first glance, but if you look closer there's something else there...

Mine is taken from the cover of the US mass-market edition of Robert Heinlein's "Stranger In A Strange Land". I think SISL is the best satyre of religion I've ever read, and a great book generaly speaking. Plus, I like the picture.

Mine is from my astrological sign Leo. Of course I don't hold any mystic tie to astrology but I think of it like I would a birthstone, except this fits better. My actual birthstone peridot is rather boring.

Plus I like cats of all size-especially lions.

And lionesses are interesting because they are the hunters in their species.

I may start using my blog profile image though now that I'm my old name again. I haven't decided.

* It is one of man's grandest technological achievements

* It is an important tool for the work of great businessmen

* It is going up

* Since I sit facing South, it appears on my monitor heading West :excl:

Pictures are intrinsically evil.

??

I think what Andrew meant was that he’s not photogenic. I have taken dozens of pictures of Andrew but none of them were good enough for him to use here (according to him :excl: ).

As for me, I think that an avatar should fit the screen name theme. And since my screen name focuses on one of my interests my avatar should be commensurate. Of course if your screen name is your name then anything goes for your avatar, it’s all good. But since I’m a believer in the primacy of the screen name, screen name avatar combinations where the avatar is general but the screen name is specific do strike me as awkward.

Currently my avatar is a picture I took of one of my paper cranes (edited in Photoshop)... an ORIGAMI crane... :) At this point I don’t think I’d use my picture as an avatar because I want to maintain my origami theme for my online activities... plus, unlike a crane, I can’t cram all my beauty into eight thousand one hundred pixels (uhh ohh! my head is getting heavy again - time to go play basketball).

I assumed Andrew was humoroursly referring to Dr. Peikoff's disdain of pictures used as am argument. (but you know what they say about assuming things)

I assumed Andrew was humoroursly referring to Dr. Peikoff's disdain of pictures used as am argument. (but you know what they say about assuming things)

You seem to be assuming that we know what they say about assuming things. Or, at least, I assume so.

(Perhaps I should move this thread over to the R & R forum? Oh, wait a minute. That's where it is. :excl: )

I just changed my avatar from the smiley with glasses. I chose my new avatar because I wanted a picture with me in it. However, my mother would have a fit if I posted a picture of myself which was easily recognizable on the internet. I have no desire to irritate her over an avatar picture, so I chose one of me skiing. It is in Vail, CO, which happens to be one of my favorite places, so it fits anyway. :excl:

My avatar is of my boxer, Ragnar. I chose it because, in general, Ragnar reminds me to stay on track in my day-to-day activities. Why is this? Because, whether or not I (and consequently him, because he's always near me chewing on something) have had a long night of work, he always manages to wake me up around 7ish to take care of his business. And, he can't be snoozed! So his tendency to consistently wake me up in the morning is why he reminds me to stay on track. That look in the picture to the left is the look he gives me EVERY morning.

Flying was my career and is my hobby. The picture is of one of my models taken in 1972. My dear friend had a similar model, and we flew together. I last flew it a year ago, but it has so many memories for me, I have relegated it to "family heirloom" rather than risk flying it again.

Would you have guessed that?

Flying was my career and is my hobby. The picture is of one of my models taken in 1972. My dear friend had a similar model, and we flew together. I last flew it a year ago, but it has so many memories for me, I have relegated it to "family heirloom" rather than risk  flying it again.

Would you have guessed that?

Arnold, I think you will enjoy seeing this picture of my dear friend Charles Sures (who is now gone) in his Stearman biplane. Charles was the husband of Mary Ann Sures, who always had concerns when Charles would participate in The Flying Circus of Bealton.

post-1-1111336372_thumb.jpg

Arnold, I think you will enjoy seeing this picture of my dear friend Charles Sures (who is now gone) in his Stearman biplane. Charles was the husband of Mary Ann Sures, who always had concerns when Charles would participate in The Flying Circus of Bealton.

That is a real classic machine. He must have had a lot of fun in it. I never owned anything as fancy. I didn't know Charles flew. (Will work on "Quotes later)

I chose mine because I love giraffes. They stand taller than the other animals, and use their height as a means of getting to food other animals can't reach. "Height" is symbolic of many things in different contexts - it can be a symbol of self-esteem, physical prowess and mental ability, all of which are fantastic things to admire.

I'm developing quite an extensive collection of giraffes. I have some Russian nesting dolls with giraffes painted on them, a number of giraffe figurines, a couple of giraffe paintings on my wall, a wooden decorative mask in the shape of a giraffe's head. The list goes on and on.

Oh, and giraffes don't make any audible sound. I always think about them when I want to tell somebody to shut the hell up.

My Avatar is the same no matter where I am-a sunflower. I also have a sunflower background on my computer. The reason? Because a sunflower follows the sun from morning to night.

It helps remind me that no matter what, as long as I follow the light, I will grow and remain strong :excl:.