Stephen Speicher

300 (2007)

Rate this movie   58 votes

1. 1. Artistic Merit

2. 2. Sense of Life, or Personal Value

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

201 posts in this topic

As for style, I can accept the comic book format, but my preference would be to tone down some of the "monster' stuff, because it can become 'laughable', not something to be desired.

Monster stuff?

I not only did not mind the comic book style of the movie, I really enjoyed it. There is nothing less naturalistic than a comic book frame, which shows you the essentials and nothing more. To put that much thought into the filming of a movie requires true skill, and this in my opinion is what makes 300 absolutely gorgeous. In fact I even enjoyed Sin City for that reason, even though it was one of the most malevolent and disgusting movies I've ever seen. But the colors and the scene framing is too captivating to look away from. Frank Miller's dialogue also is such a breath of fresh air from the contemporary naturalistic garbage we've become accustomed to.

The comic book style was fine, I'm only referring to scenes like the executioner with blades for arms. If things get too silly, it detracts from my involvement. The ideas were too 'this world' serious to be made light of with such creations. A 'realistic' comic book executioner would have been more terrifying. We have more to fear from evil men that brainless monsters. This is a minor criticism, I rated the movie highly.