darren

... the Fountainhead is reading material on ABC's Lost

15 posts in this topic

At the end of tonight's episode, Sawyer is shown reading The Fountainhead on the beach. He was holding the book in a way so you could clearly make out "Ayn Rand" and "The Fountainhead" on the cover. The scene was only a few seconds, but it was just long enough where most people couldn't help but look at what he was reading.

Sawyer is a very popular character, and the insightful look he makes after reading a passage could make a good print ad :angry:

I took screenshots, I couldn't help myself. These pictures are a good answer to the "If you were stranded on a desert island..." questions:

Sawyer1

Sawyer2

How wonderful! I've heard so many good things about that show. I may just have to start watching the first season to catch up...

Thanks for the post Darren!

Those are very nice shots, Darren. How did you capture them?

All of this season's episodes of Lost (and other popular shows) are available online a day or two after the original telecast. I jumped ahead in the video to the Fountainhead scene, paused the video, and hit Print Screen to copy a screenshot to my clipboard. I pasted the screenshot to good old Microsoft Paint and cut the video portion out to a new jpg.

The Print Screen button is pretty handy, I use it probably once or twice a week to grab some graphic or special text for work.

How wonderful! I've heard so many good things about that show. I may just have to start watching the first season to catch up...

If you want to start watching the show, just make sure you start at the very beginning. Not only will the show not make sense now, you'll ruin a lot of neat surprises.

I knew there must be a reason Sawyer is my favorite character. :angry:

The scene was only a few seconds, but it was just long enough where most people couldn't help but look at what he was reading.

From 39:20 to 39:31. The title flipped into view at 39:23, so it got ten seconds with an attention-getting motion exposing the title at the beginning. That's better than some 'scenes' with clues that last only a few frames and can't be seen at all without stopping the motion at the right frame.

At the end of tonight's episode, Sawyer is shown reading The Fountainhead on the beach. He was holding the book in a way so you could clearly make out "Ayn Rand" and "The Fountainhead" on the cover. The scene was only a few seconds, but it was just long enough where most people couldn't help but look at what he was reading.

Sawyer is a very popular character, and the insightful look he makes after reading a passage could make a good print ad :angry:

Thanks for posting. Yes, it would make an excellent ad.

Sawyer is a great character. Reading this thread confirmed that this took place in the last episode (haven’t watched it yet) – otherwise I think I would have remembered it. :-)

And speaking of Ayn Rand’s works being present in mainstream television: Atlas Shrugged has made appearances in both South Park and Family Guy (two rather crude but very popular cartoons – not for children).

ARI pays to have sponsored links on Google and companies pay for "product placement" -- i.e., to have their cereal or computer or automobile prominently shown in a scene of a TV show or movie.

Hmmmm. I wonder....

If you want to watch it online, check out ABC Lost 3/14.

The 2007 book Finding Lost - the Unofficial Guide, Season Three, by Nikki Stafford, has a section on The Fountainhead's appearance in this epsisode (Expose', 3.14). The discussion of The Fountainhead is positive, though not always getting the point or characterizing the novel in the best way.

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (1943)

Sawyer is reading Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead on the beach. The book is very dense and complicated, but Rand's basic theme is the promotion of individualism. Howard Roark is the main character, a man who refuse to play by the rules, and who is kicked out of architecture school for not adhering to the lessons of the old masters. Throughout the book he maintains his individualism, while scoffing at his rival, Peter Keating, who is content to follow the status quo. Roark becomes involved with Dominque who similarly hates society and convention (though his initial contact with her is through rape), whose father owns a quarry where Roark has been forced to work. After Roark is set up by a vengeful journalist and is sued for work he'd done on a building, losing the case, Dominique leaves him for Keating. The marriage doesn't last long because Peter "sells" Dominique to another man, Wynand, a newspaper publisher, for money and a contract. Wynand is friends with Roark, and doesn't know about Dominique's past relationship with him. Keating, meanwhile, requires Roark's help on a public housing project, but when Keating changes Roark's designs, Roark dynamites the place. Wynand defends Roark in his paper, but is pressured by investors to retract his defense, and Dominique leaves him for compromising his principles. At his trial, Roark gives a lengthy speech about individualism, and the jury finds him not guilty. He marries Dominique, and a few months later Wynand asks him to build a skyscraper in New York to be called the Wynand Building, one that would symbolize the supremacy of man and his unbending devotion to his principles.

The Fountainhead is an allegory where the characters are more archetypes than fleshed-out people. The book would appeal to Sawyer, a man who keeps to himself and lives his own way. The book eschews sentimentality and emotion, and instead upholds reason as the most important human attribute. Just as Dominique switches loyalties from one man to another, depending on their integrity and honor at the time, so too must Sawyer think Kate does the same thing, going to Sawyer when he seems like the sympathetic one, and turning to Jack when he's done something worthy.

The book Finding Lost features a number of books that appear in the series. The books are a deliberate part of the show in that themes in the books are intended to be related to the show.

There is a section called "The Lost Book Club" on Disc Seven, "Bonus Features", of the DVD set, Lost: The Complete Third Season, that discusses the role of literary references on the show. It also includes a short segment on The Fountainhead.

The DVD set for season three became available in late December and is well worth having. In addition to all the shows from last year, it contains a number of "bonus features" showing how the show is made and other commentary that reveal the incredible intelligence, planning, and talent that goes into the show, as well as the fun that the cast and crew have in making it. Season four will begin airing on January 31 with a two hour premier.

Ah, I just realized that the images I posted were broken above. I switched to Wordpress some time ago, so the location of the files changed. They can be found here:

sawyer.jpg

sawyer2.jpg

he DVD set for season three became available in late December and is well worth having. In addition to all the shows from last year, it contains a number of "bonus features" showing how the show is made and other commentary that reveal the incredible intelligence, planning, and talent that goes into the show, as well as the fun that the cast and crew have in making it. Season four will begin airing on January 31 with a two hour premier.

It turns it is a one hour premiere preceded by a one hour show on previous clues to mysteries, possibly the same one they ran at the end of the last season.