Mercury

Ayaan Hirsi Ali on "The Colbert Report"

30 posts in this topic

I was flipping channels approximately 50 minutes ago and happened to catch Ayaan Hirsi Ali on The Colbert Report.

I wasn't looking forward to Colbert's mockery, but, thankfully, this was toned down considerably during the interview.

When asked whether she thought Islamic fundamentalism should be fought with Christian fundamentalism, she said that fundamentalism should be fought with "freedom," and that "life is an end in itself." She also made other statements related to the primacy of the individual.

The audience cheered.

I wonder if she's been reading the books on Objectivism some FORUMites sent her.

I read her book, The Caged Virgin, last year and, although, in it, she made a good number of philosophically-sophisticated, pro-individual statements, tonight was the closest I've ever heard her come to straight Objectivism.

Since reading her book, I've come to strongly believe she will take to Objectivism in large measure, and that her "conversion" is only a matter of time. The question is, will the media still host her when she starts quoting Ayn Rand?

The question is, will the media still host her when she starts quoting Ayn Rand?

Some will. Yaron Brook and occasionally other Objectivists (e.g. Robert Tracinski recently) are given significant coverage on major networks.

When asked whether she thought Islamic fundamentalism should be fought with Christian fundamentalism, she said that fundamentalism should be fought with "freedom," and that "life is an end in itself." She also made other statements related to the primacy of the individual.

The audience cheered.

Judging from what little I've seen of the show and the people that enjoy it, I wonder if the audience really knew what they were cheering for.

I'm glad to hear that Colbert toned it down. She's such an awesome woman, I'd hate to see her have to put up with his clown act.

Judging from what little I've seen of the show and the people that enjoy it, I wonder if the audience really knew what they were cheering for.
I have the same doubt, I've seen the audience cheer over national medical insurance with the same vigor as they did in this episode.

A month or so ago I wrote a letter of praise and encouragement to Ayaan Hirsi Ali. I included a copy of my poem "A Man", ending with the lines

"I will follow my mind til I die,

From beginning to end a man."

Part of her response, which I received today, was:

"Thank you for your kind words and your very personal, thought-provoking letter. I greatly appreciate you sending a copy of the poem. That is very generous of you. Letters such as yours inspire me to continue to speak openly against religious subjugation of women. Many of my opponents have attempted to silence my voice."

A very courageous and gracious woman.

B. Royce, how/where did you contact Hirsi Ali? Does she have a web site/address? Thanks.

Through the American Enterprise Institute, 1150 Seventeenth Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20036-4600

That's great, Brian. I have her book (Infidel) and it's in my reading queue.

I wrote to her just after I finished "Infidel", a book I highly recommend. Miss Ali's spiritual and mental growth, especially considering the nature of her upbringing and culture, is truly admirable.

That's great, Brian. I have her book (Infidel) and it's in my reading queue.

I wrote to her just after I finished "Infidel", a book I highly recommend. Miss Ali's spiritual and mental growth, especially considering the nature of her upbringing and culture, is truly admirable.

One would think it hardly possible. It does go to show that we are truly captains of our soul.

is the supremely confident, intelligent, and serene Ayaan, in all her quiet dignity,completely demolishing a cliche-spouting, liberal Canadian journalist.

Thanks for sharing these!

I've heard a few things about her book Infidel, but I had no idea that she was so explicitly intellectual, and fighting for good values. I really enjoyed her interviews.

Wow!! :):):D

"You grew up in freedom, you can spit on freedom. I didn't have that luxury" (as close as I could get it down)

She managed to say that so sweetly that he didn't even notice that he was lying face up on the mat with birds chirping over his head.

Her presentation is always so clear, essentialized, so beautifully on point. Thanks, Betsy, for providing this link.

The most disturbing moment of that interview for me was how the host reacted when Ali pointed out a simple, obvious fact: that you can come to America with nothing and become wealthy. He reacted as if it were the most ludicrous "American cliche", saying, "I can't believe you just said that."

How can a Canadian, of all people, one who has access to a relatively free press, who can talk to Americans anytime he wants, who can come here and go as he pleases and see for himself, be so mindlessly ignorant (or become so utterly mis-informed) that he dismisses such a simple truth as if it were a bad joke?

That kind of worries me. I guess I've been naive.

CT

This woman is amazing. Every now and then I watch her interviews on you tube (some of them I have seen now many times). She is a great source of inspiration for me.

This is what I wrote down:

I have lived in countries that had no democracy that had no Founding Fathers. So, I don't find myself in the same luxury as you do. You grew up in freedom and you can spit on freedom because you don't know what it is not to have freedom. I haven't. I know that there are many things wrong with America and I know that there are many things wrong with Americans but I still believe it is the best nation in the world.

How can a Canadian, of all people, one who has access to a relatively free press, who can talk to Americans anytime he wants, who can come here and go as he pleases and see for himself, be so mindlessly ignorant (or become so utterly mis-informed) that he dismisses such a simple truth as if it were a bad joke?

The simple answer is multiculturalism. The deeper answer is hatred of the good for being good.

The standard of justice taught in schools and reflected in the media is not natural rights, but ethnic self-determinism. That’s how some can complain about the so-called infringement on the rights of Muslim Americans, while dismissing the horrors that Muslims commit against other Muslims in the Middle East. A multiculturalist can be indignant about his “rights” while denying those same rights to billions of people. The joke, to those who accept this view, is that multiculturalism says Individualism is itself just an idea accepted by a culture and is no more valid than any other. When a person laughs at the American success story, I don’t think they are laughing because they believe it isn’t true, but because they regard it as arrogant presumption.

Just as you can tell a lot about a person by how they react to a successful person, you can tell a lot about them by how they react to American patriotism. Anyone who would laugh at success or at freedom as if it were the punchline of a joke betrays a hatred of the good for being good, which is really what multiculturalism is founded on.

Happy Birthday to Ayaan Hirsi Ali!

...sort of. From her book, Infidel: "...It was Friday, July 24, 1992, when I stepped on the train. Every year I think of it. I see it as my real birthday: the birth of me as a person, making decisions about my life on my own."

Fabulous book.

Happy Birthday to Ayaan Hirsi Ali!

...sort of. From her book, Infidel: "...It was Friday, July 24, 1992, when I stepped on the train. Every year I think of it. I see it as my real birthday: the birth of me as a person, making decisions about my life on my own."

Fabulous book.

Yes, a birthday really worth celebrating. Happy Birthday to Ayaan! :):D:)

Thank you, gnartharst.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali returned to the Netherlands. She was allegedly forced to leave the US as American authorities had refused to finance the expenses of her personal security measures. So far, the Dutch government has paid all those expenses, but after US granted her permanent residence, the Dutch allegedly said they were no longer willing to continue this arrangement.

read more here

Ayaan Hirsi Ali returned to the Netherlands. She was allegedly forced to leave the US as American authorities had refused to finance the expenses of her personal security measures.

Clearly there are higher priorities than a few thousand dollars a month to protect one of the world's top critics and analysts of America's greatest enemy, such as trillions of dollars for Iraq.

This is an indictment of our law enforcement at all levels. From the article:

Her vocal criticism of Islam also contributed to her decision to leave. Her criticism also led her to be targeted by radical Muslims and her life was repeatedly threatened. The threats led her to be placed under round-the-clock protection both in the Netherlands and the United States.
She shouldn't need special security just to live here! How can Muslims here be free to threaten her life? Our worthless government will not stop the enemy that threatens her and our worthless culture does not give a damn.

Something I just realized recently was that there's a good reason that many democrats/liberal moonbats react so strongly against Ayan Hirsi Ali: she is a living refutation of everything that they stand for and try to brainwash Americans with. She is a strong independent black woman who loves America, and will proudly say that America is the best nation in the world, and isn't afraid to criticize Islam and other inferior cultures in general. If all Americans were like this the Demagogues, I mean Democrats, wouldn't have their hordes of dependent souls to buy votes from.

Something I just realized recently was that there's a good reason that many democrats/liberal moonbats react so strongly against Ayan Hirsi Ali: she is a living refutation of everything that they stand for and try to brainwash Americans with. She is a strong independent black woman who loves America, and will proudly say that America is the best nation in the world, and isn't afraid to criticize Islam and other inferior cultures in general. If all Americans were like this the Demagogues, I mean Democrats, wouldn't have their hordes of dependent souls to buy votes from.

Absolutely. She refuses to live as slave or master -- she wants only to live free. She's great.