Betsy Speicher

Stephen's Health

278 posts in this topic

Three days ago, Stephen had his annual physical exam and his doctor pronounced him in excellent health.

Yesterday morning, Stephen did his daily 45-minute workout on his treadmill.

This morning he had a heart attack, this afternoon he had emergency triple-bypass surgery, and this evening he is recovering in the Coronary Care Unit at Los Robles Hospital in Thousand Oaks.

His surgeon tells me the operation went well, but that Stephen will be in intensive care for a few days and in the hospital for a couple of weeks.

That means that Stephen won't be moderating THE FORUM for a while and I may be somewhat occupied as well. We have some backup moderators, but I know the members will make extra sure that their posts are up to the highest FORUM standards until Stephen gets back.

Betsy, it's awful that you two have to go through that, but modern medicine has saved him even though his physical exam wasn't what it should have been to detect something so major. 50 years ago he would have been gone. Please give him our best and tell him we look forward to his return.

Wow. Get well soon Stephen. Best wishes for the Speichers.

I'm absolutely stunned by this. Wow. It doesn't seem fair to see such things happen out of the blue like this, and especially to such a terrific guy.

Please give Stephen my best wishes for a rapid and full recovery.

(And Betsy, my best wishes for you as well. I'm sure he'll be fine soon, especially with such a good nurse by his side.)

Ed

Betsy,

I was stunned to hear the news. Please give Stephen my best regards and that I hope for a speedy recovery (make that a speed-of-light recovery!).

Regards,

Paul

Oh my - terrible news. I'm relieved to hear that Stephen has received quick treatment and I hope he returns to good health soon.

What a shock! Betsy, I wish Stephen a full and thorough recovery. And I wish you strength in helping him to recover. It takes time, I know, but all can come out well with loving patience. And thank goodness there are men in the field of medicine with the dedication to life and truth equal to Stephen's.

I have never had the pleasure of meeting Stephen or Betsy in person but I hope to some day, so Stephen please get well completely and quickly. I have really enjoyed and benefited from your work on the Forum and am looking forward to many more years to come.

I'm sorry to hear the news, but I'm happy that the doctors were able to help Stephen. I'm sure he'll make a fast recovery. Best wishes!

Betsy,

I too am stunned, and I sincerely hope all goes well for Stephen.

Jim

Betsy, let Stephen know I think he's a great guy. Stephen, I hope for your speedy recovery! Get well soon!

Three days ago, Stephen had his annual physical exam and his doctor pronounced him in excellent health.

Yesterday morning, Stephen did his daily 45-minute workout on his treadmill.

This morning he had a heart attack, this afternoon he had emergency triple-bypass surgery, and this evening he is recovering in the Coronary Care Unit at Los Robles Hospital in Thousand Oaks.

His surgeon tells me the operation went well, but that Stephen will be in intensive care for a few days and in the hospital for a couple of weeks.

That means that Stephen won't be moderating THE FORUM for a while and I may be somewhat occupied as well. We have some backup moderators, but I know the members will make extra sure that their posts are up to the highest FORUM standards until Stephen gets back.

I'm shocked and deeply saddened to hear of this! Of course, I extend my very best wishes to Stephen for as speedy a recovery as possible. I will be thinking of him and you, Betsy, over the coming weeks. Do keep us posted on Stephen's progress.

Like some others on THE FORUM, I have never met Stephen and Betsy in person. But, that does not mean that I do not care for them along with holding them in esteem. So when I read Betsy's post it brought a tear to my eye. I send my best regards and wishes for a recovery of a man that I think is very heroic. Betsy, I also hope that you and Matt are doing as well as your rational optimism will allow.

Betsy,

I just discovered news of Stephen's troubles by mention of it in another thread. I am extremely sorry to hear that he has suffered so. But I am heartened that he seems to be on the road to recovery. My well wishes go out to your entire family. If there is anything that can be done to help, please do not hesitate to ask.

Betsy,

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear of Stephen's condition. Please give him my best wishes for a full recovery. I'm shocked; he takes such good care of himself. My uncle and mother just went through the triple bypass in the past year and the story I heard is that Stephen may well have been operating with a reduced flow, due to undetected blockage and would - in that case - actually more energy than he did before, after he's fully recovered

I hope Stephen recovers soon.

Sincerely,

David Lombardo

My best wishes to Stephen and to you. It is shocking that anything like that would happen without any previous indication.

I am grieved to hear about Stephen's heart attack. I hope he has a fast and complete recovery from such a traumatic event.

I just came to read this and I'm stunned. I have so many questions that are none of my business--that's an old habit from my nursing days. Please tell Stephen to keep good cheer. I know that he is usually an optimistic person, and that is very much in his favor. It isn't unusual, however, for cardiac patients to feel a certain depression. Some of it is because of the event itself and some from the medications that were pumped into them during the critical phase of the attack. It will pass as the meds leave his body, and especially quickly if the patient has a good general outlook, which I know Stephen possesses.

Betsy, you keep rested as well.

My thoughts are with you all, and I wish Stephen a speedy recovery and a return to good health and good life.

Please keep us informed. I'm sure I'm not the only one to worry.

Janet

My best wishes of fast recovery to Stephen !