Betsy Speicher

Stephen's Health

278 posts in this topic

Stephen's posts always challenged me to think about an issue, and I will miss his input and vast knowledge. My condolences to Betsy.

I am sorry to hear about your loss Betsy. I know how much of a shock it can be to lose someone so dear so unexpectedly. My heart goes out to you.

Very Sincerely,

Edwin Mizrahi

Laguna Niguel, CA

I am sorry to hear about your loss Betsy. I know how much of a shock it can be to lose someone so dear so unexpectedly. My heart goes out to you.

Very Sincerely,

Edwin Mizrahi

Laguna Niguel, CA

Dear Betsy,

Through the Forum, Stephen’s exceptional intelligence, passionate nature, and generosity of spirit reached out across the world and touched us all. Through his writings, I came to admire his dedication to principled action and to be inspired by his joyful approach to life. I feel very fortunate to have met Stephen this way and I will miss him.

My thoughts are with you, Betsy. I know that your indomitable spirit will see you through this great loss.

Alan

I am just stunned and deeply saddened and on the verge of tears to hear this, even though I never met him. Stephen was such a great man--a great hero. Betsy, I am so sorry for your loss.

Good bye Stephen, to me you were that man that was out in front of me that gave a glimpse of what could be. I will miss you dearly.

Betsy, it saddens me to know that you and Matt have had such a great loss and I hope that your extreme optimism can return as soon as possible.

Respectfully,

Ray Kilmer

Betsy, I am so sorry this has happened. Any words feel stupid and this is the last outcome anyone, I am sure, could have imagined.

Even though I never met him in person, he is one of the few people ever I liked instantly when I met him on OO.net several years back.

I will miss him.

I wish someone had a picture of him so I could see who I was talking to.

Deepest sympathies,

Bobby Wigard

I've spent a good part of the day looking at pictures of Stephen and thinking about the many precious memories I have of him. He was one of a kind, and I am proud to say that he was my friend. I miss him terribly, and it is still hard to believe that this is even true.

Betsy, you have all my love and support.

At Thoyd's suggestion, here are a couple pictures of Stephen.

i19AD050A-098D-4FBF-A573-D43E1CC4948E.jpg

i4091347C-EC06-4487-AD19-707B4FEAB40C.jpg

I live my life as if nothing will change, that THE FORUM will always be there and so will Stephen, but now something has changed and I am so shocked that all I can think about is to take life by the throat and live it.

I've spent a good part of the day looking at pictures of Stephen and thinking about the many precious memories I have of him. He was one of a kind, and I am proud to say that he was my friend. I miss him terribly, and it is still hard to believe that this is even true.

Betsy, you have all my love and support.

At Thoyd's suggestion, here are a couple pictures of Stephen.

i19AD050A-098D-4FBF-A573-D43E1CC4948E.jpg

i4091347C-EC06-4487-AD19-707B4FEAB40C.jpg

If you're having trouble viewing the pictures of Stephen, here are the web addresses:

http://www.dotphoto.com/SAN1/40/91/34/i409...07B4FEAB40C.jpg

http://www.dotphoto.com/SAN1/19/AD/05/i19A...43E1CC4948E.jpg

The world is better for having had Stephen in it. My sympathies and condolences to his friends and family.

Respectfully,

Robert.

This is really sad news, and especially since it had to be so sudden and unexpected. Even though I never met Stephen, I'm really glad that I've had the opportunity to converse with him online a little, and learn from him a lot.

My condolences to Betsy.

-David Marsilia

Betsy, you have my deepest sympathy over your loss. I always deeply appreciated his deep grasp of Objectivism and science, and wish that we could have met.

There is a phrase I first heard in the final episode of THE X-FILES, in a rather silly context: Fox Mulder had begun seeing dead people, and the spirits of the dead were somehow going to help him defeat the alien invasion. I later learned that Chris Carter had borrowed the text from Catholic theology, where it refers to the communion of saints.

But it occurred to me that it could have a more rational application, to the experience of human culture and the human community. Think of what we owe to the dead – not only the great thinkers and great artists and great inventors who have created civilization and made it possible for us to live civilized lives, but to the important people in our own lives, those who have taught us, those who have inspired us, those who have loved us. Think of all the dead who have enriched our lives, and you will know the true meaning of a phrase that was thrown away on a TV show:

"The dead are not lost to us. They speak to us as part of something greater than ourselves."

I think those who knew Stephen better than I ever had a chance to will understand.

I feel too crushed for words to help. What a testament that even so many people who knew Stephen only through the Forum are so genuinely saddened too. What he meant to me is almost too personal to talk about here. I think he knew about it though, which counts most.

"He was one in million" is one of those cliches that's actually true about one in a million times. Damn it, Stephen is that first and probably only time for me. Technically anyone is irreplaceable, but the importance of the concept relies on the highest, purest cases. Stephen not being there would leave a hole in my own life so wide and deep that it can't be closed up. So it won't be. No question about it -- he's going to still be there filling that spot in my world forever as a living, inspiring presence. Call it his force of rationality and personality, call it my psycho-epistemology. But he made it true of me. In that sense too, he can't he replaced, or equalled, or even diminished in memory.

Goodbye, Stephen, but I'll always know you're there.

When I first heard the news of Stephen's health, I must admit that I was not too worried. It only seemed right that he would get better and be back in no time. Hearing of his passing, I am stunned. I only talked with Stephen on the Forum a few times, but in my limited contact with him, it was very clear what a good man he was, and how much he cared for his family and friends. Reading some of your stories about him has brought me to tears. Though I was not close to him as some of you were, I feel as though I have lost a good friend.

Betsy, I haven't the words to express my sorrow for your loss. I have never lost anyone so close to me as I know Stephen was to you. Just know that you are in my thoughts, and that we at The Forum are here for you and your family.

Betsy,

I'm sorry for your loss. I've tried to find the words, but nothing seems right. I don't think I'll find them, so this will have to do.

It is amazing how many people Stephen influenced. Though he had never seen nor heard some of these people, they were effected deeply enough to break their silence because of this overwhelming event. I can only hope that your grief is dwarfed by the joy of your memories.

- Nate

Dear Betsy, oh no!!

I haven't met Stephen in person, and for that I am sorry, but I did meet you in person and for that I am very grateful. Both of you have been such wonderful people!

In my shocked and disjointed state of mind, I can only come up with the following words -- that Stephen (as well as you) has been one of the most reality-oriented people I have ever met. That is the greatest compliment I can offer. Nothing led him to a conclusion that he didn't have reasons for, that always his guiding words seem to have been, philosophically -- experience and demonstration, and personally -- energy and benevolence. Instead of focusing on these qualities as gone, I focus on them as having existed and being united in one man.

My deepest condolences, and a greatest hug,

Jim

Betsy, my deepest condolences.

I always thought that Stephen would get better. Even when things became tough, I thought he would win.

When I heard about it yesterday, I became very shocked. It was something I didn't expect at all.

Stephen was someone that I respected, and I will miss him very much.

I believe none of us would have expected it. Which is really the greatest tribute that can be paid to a man's strength: that his name was synonymous with life.

I have read Stephen's posts for around two years almost daily. In our last thread we joked about telephones. I miss him a lot and aspire to live a life as rich and fulfilled as his life was.