Betsy Speicher

Stephen's Health

278 posts in this topic

I haven't been able to tell everyone on THE FORUM individually, but your well-wishes and encouragement have meant a lot to me. I also used your postings and e-mails to make the case to his doctor and some people I know at UCLA just how many of us love and respect Stephen and how important he is to us. I don't know if that got him into UCLA against all the odds, but it certainly didn't hurt.
Betsy, these updates mean a lot. Stephen's a great guy and terrific friend and I've been worried sick since Saturday evening. Let him know that he has a lot of people here rooting for him. I know it's stressful for me, but I can't imagine what you, Stephen, and the family are going through at such a difficult time. Hang in there.

Ed

I'm terribly sorry for Stephen and the suffering you both must be going through, Betsy. I wish Stephen a fast and full recovery and wish you two the best in the short and long term.

David Elmore

Hi Betsy,

I was very saddened and surprised to hear of your husbands condition via your cybernet announcement. Still, reading your updates I am happy to see that he appears to be doing better. I wish Stephen a speedy recovery.

Sincerely,

Gideon Reich

Hi, Betsy and Stephen,

Thanks for posting the note to Cybernet. I'm naturally very sad to learn that Stephen has fallen quite so ill, and so suddenly. We know we can use some improvement in the technology, however well we can handle these problems at present. No matter what happens, Stephen has certainly been taking good care of his health, from what you describe. That'll help him through this now.

I hope Betsy is able to get enough rest as well, as I'm sure you must be burning your candle at both ends.

I look forward to your swiftest, fullest recovery possible.

- Dale

My best wishes are with you Betsy and I wish Stephen a complete and smooth recovery.

I hope you will be able to get him to UCLA a.s.a.p. even if his doctors at Los Robles are doing a good job.

I will be regularly checking for his health updates.

Betsy,

Please send Stephen my best wishes for a quick and full recovery. When FC told me about what happened I was driving and the shock of it nearly required that I pull over. The two of you are in my thoughts daily.

HaloNoble6

Please send him my fond regards, too. It is a terrible thing to have to go through, but he is a strong spirit!

Here's to a speedy recovery.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

John

Betsy,

Thanks for keeping us informed about Stephen's health. You and he are such a special couple. It was a shock to hear of such a massive heart attack, but he sppears to be getting the best treatment possible. Thank Man for modern medicine. Please give him my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Carolyn

I also used your postings and e-mails to make the case to his doctor and some people I know at UCLA just how many of us love and respect Stephen and how important he is to us. I don't know if that got him into UCLA against all the odds, but it certainly didn't hurt.

They don't use votes for such decisions, but judging by the statistics on this thread he's already won by a landslide.

:) Forgive my impatience, but the silence is deafening. I hope all is well.

There must be a lot of time-consuming commotion changing locations and equipment. But we're all still thinking about him. News will come when it happens.

There must be a lot of time-consuming commotion changing locations and equipment. But we're all still thinking about him. News will come when it happens.

Yes, I know. And that, of course, comes before anything else.

Hey, at least I had the decency to blush!

Yes, I know. And that, of course, comes before anything else.

Hey, at least I had the decency to blush!

We're all worried. Badly damaged hearts are no trifling matter. Sometimes it feels harder and more frustrating not being able to do anything from a distance. There's no way to fight. But we trust in Betsy to do the right things with the right priorities for everything that is possible.

We're all worried. Badly damaged hearts are no trifling matter. Sometimes it feels harder and more frustrating not being able to do anything from a distance. There's no way to fight. But we trust in Betsy to do the right things with the right priorities for everything that is possible.

I know. I feel it very acutely. I was a cardiac nurse from the time I left the Navy until I retired.

Best wishes to Stephen for a complete recovery and many years of good health and happiness.

Update:

There's not much to report since last time. Stephen is holding steady or improving very slightly and we're still waiting for a bed at UCLA.

Yes, I'm taking care of myself. I cancelled the April CyberNet and turned over my project at work to a very competent young man who is handling it well. I'm sleeping and eating and everything is under control.

Some dear family and friends nearby have offered help if I need it. I haven't needed it yet, but it's so good to know they are there for me if I do.

Update:

There's not much to report since last time. Stephen is holding steady or improving very slightly and we're still waiting for a bed at UCLA.

Yes, I'm taking care of myself. I cancelled the April CyberNet and turned over my project at work to a very competent young man who is handling it well. I'm sleeping and eating and everything is under control.

Some dear family and friends nearby have offered help if I need it. I haven't needed it yet, but it's so good to know they are there for me if I do.

Thank you, Betsy, for the update on yourself as well as Stephen. As one who has faced more than one crisis with my nearest and dearest, I understand that, in the full context, Stephen's heart attack happened to both of you; hence my concern for you as well as Stephen.

I hope they are able to transfer Stephen soon. The situation hangs over everything like an invisible weight. I'm sure he is getting good care, though. For all the telemetry, etc., however, I'm glad to know that there is always someone in the room with him. There are some changes that can be seen in a patient that happen before they show up on the monitors.

My thoughts continue to be with you, though like many others, I am frustrated that I can do no more than just think about it! It must be that old thought-without-action thing. :)

Update:

Betsy, if "holding steady or improving very slightly" is the only good news, I gladly take it. Neither Stephen nor yourself can ever mean as much to me as you do to each other, but it is heartening to know that you are taking care of yourself, too. I wish you courage, patience and perseverance, though I am sure you have enough.

Brian

UPDATE:

They have a bed for Stephen at UCLA! When we got the news, his cardiologist and I were grinning a mile wide.

Stephen will be transported at 11PM tonight. Since it's night and it isn't rush hour, they will take an ambulance instead of a helicopter. I'll be there at 6AM to be with him and find out what's going on, but they probably won't let me anywhere near Stephen until they do a complete workup. I hope to have another update by tomorrow afternoon, but I may not necessarily have access to THE FORUM or e-mail. I'll let you know as soon as I can.

I am trying to have realistic expectations and not get my hopes up too much, but now that he's going to UCLA, that isn't easy.

UPDATE:

They have a bed for Stephen at UCLA! When we got the news, his cardiologist and I were grinning a mile wide.

Stephen will be transported at 11PM tonight. Since it's night and it isn't rush hour, they will take an ambulance instead of a helicopter. I'll be there at 6AM to be with him and find out what's going on, but they probably won't let me anywhere near Stephen until they do a complete workup. I hope to have another update by tomorrow afternoon, but I may not necessarily have access to THE FORUM or e-mail. I'll let you know as soon as I can.

I am trying to have realistic expectations and not get my hopes up too much, but now that he's going to UCLA, that isn't easy.

That's great news, Betsy. Continually---every minute---wishing you and Stephen the best.

That's great news, Betsy. Continually---every minute---wishing you and Stephen the best.

Ditto for me, Betsy. Chin up and take care.

UPDATE:

Hello Betsy,

I have been waiting just for this great news!! I KNOW just how crucial a development it is and all the best to both you and Stephen.

I am sure you can realistically raise your expectations from here on.

Here's to Stephen's speedy recovery!

Regards,

- Hema

Terrific news :) It put a big smile on my face as well. My best wishes are with you both, as always. Take care and let Stephen know we are all pulling for him!

Getting into UCLA is very wonderful news!

I hope for all the best for you and Stephen!