Betsy Speicher

Stephen's Health

278 posts in this topic

It was good news after such a devastating attack that he is in such a good facility and will be strong enough to qualify for a transplant. We're all hoping he can continue to get rid of the infection and abnormal temperature, wake up, and continue to progress so he will be back in the 'virtual valley'.

UPDATE:

Unfortunately, Stephen has had a setback and things are very fragile right now. He needs the Ventricular Assist Device but he cannot get it until his infection goes away (which will hopefully happen in the next day or two). As such, the next couple of days are going to be crucial.

Betsy is staying as close to Stephen and his doctors as possible, which means she is not near a computer. As long as it stays that way, I'll post updates as they become available.

Dean M. Sandin mentioned earlier in the thread the importance of "praying" for Stephen. This applies all the more right now.

I have spent the better part of the day playing Armstrong's "It's a Wonderful World" over and over. It reminds me so much of Stephen. It is my form of prayer for him.

Then I came here and read Alex's update. I have no words. My thoughts are with Betsy.

I have spent the better part of the day playing Armstrong's "It's a Wonderful World" over and over. It reminds me so much of Stephen. It is my form of prayer for him.

Then I came here and read Alex's update. I have no words. My thoughts are with Betsy.

Armstrong's "It's a Wonderful World" is one of his favorites. We can only hope that he gets to hear it again.

UPDATE:

Unfortunately, Stephen has had a setback and things are very fragile right now. He needs the Ventricular Assist Device but he cannot get it until his infection goes away (which will hopefully happen in the next day or two). As such, the next couple of days are going to be crucial.

Betsy is staying as close to Stephen and his doctors as possible, which means she is not near a computer. As long as it stays that way, I'll post updates as they become available.

Dean M. Sandin mentioned earlier in the thread the importance of "praying" for Stephen. This applies all the more right now.

Alex, thank you for the update. I just hope that infection gets out of there soon.

UPDATE:

...Unfortunately, Stephen has had a setback and things are very fragile right now. He needs the Ventricular Assist Device but he cannot get it until his infection goes away (which will hopefully happen in the next day or two). As such, the next couple of days are going to be crucial...

Alex, thank you for the update, as scary as it is. I can't say anything but that I am hoping for the best for Stephen and please communicate my concern for Betsy.

Alex, thank you for the update, as scary as it is. I can't say anything but that I am hoping for the best for Stephen and please communicate my concern for Betsy.

Ditto. I wish I had more to add or someway to contribute something meaningful... but it's out of my hands, and frustrating as hell. :)

I haven't been to the forum here for a while, so I am just now learning what is going on with Stephen. My thoughts are with Stephen, Betsy, and everyone involved.

If sheer love of life were enough to sustain a man's life, we wouldn't have a thing to worry about. I simply pray that Stephen's wonderful soul - the sustained effort, love, and support of family and friends - and the minds and tools of his fellow men - will sustain him until can return home, healthy and whole.

Betsy, I haven't been here lately either, but Alan just told me. Please know that I care and we're all pulling for Steve. I understand there is now a definitive study showing that prayer not only doesn't work but can make the patient feel worse (although laughter helps), so I'll keep thinking about him and you keep a close eye on the doctors. If there's anything I can do, let me know.

UPDATE:

Unfortunately, Stephen's infection is not yet under control, so he can't get the Ventricular Assistance Device (VAD) that he needs. His doctors are relying on less effective devices and drugs to hold him until the infection is gone, but he had several episodes of life-threatening tachycardia yesterday. Fortunately, he recovered. They are also considering putting Stephen on dialysis to support his kidneys.

Stephen is hanging in there and so am I.

I just caught up on my Cybernet updates and found out about this. Betsy, I can't imagine what you must be going through. I'm sure Stephen is doing all he can (loving life as he does), and I hope he is able to overcome this terrible adversity. Hang in there.

Dear Betsy,

Keep fighting. Every moment gives chance for the next. Stephen is obviously fighting very hard.

I'm sending a big ol' virtual hug for you, wishing it were real.

Best,

Janet

UPDATE:

Unfortunately, Stephen's infection is not yet under control, so he can't get the Ventricular Assistance Device (VAD) that he needs. His doctors are relying on less effective devices and drugs to hold him until the infection is gone, but he had several episodes of life-threatening tachycardia yesterday. Fortunately, he recovered. They are also considering putting Stephen on dialysis to support his kidneys.

Stephen is hanging in there and so am I.

Dear Betsy,

I am dismayed that Stephen's infection has been so intractable and the attack was so severe as to affect the kidneys as well!! Words fail me for I have always been the one to be on the bed and I never doubted that it's always much tougher for those who love you.

From my perspective, keeping your mind active always helps a great deal under the worst of conditions but I don't think that I can even imagine the ordeal you are going through.

Just keep taking care of yourself and Stephen and things should work out fine.

Best of wishes,

- Hema

We are seeing some real, ongoing, around the clock personal heroism here from Betsy, Stephen and his doctors.

We are seeing some real, ongoing, around the clock personal heroism here from Betsy, Stephen and his doctors.

Yes.

Not knowing the Speichers, I really don't know what else I can add to this topic other than my best wishes.

It pains me greatly to have to inform everyone that Stephen passed away tonight.

He waged a valiant battle. But he took another turn for the worse and there was nothing his doctors could do.

I know this must come as a shock. I'm beside myself. All I can think of right now is how much Stephen loved the song "What a Wonderful World," and how with Stephen gone the world is no longer quite as wonderful.

You will be missed, Stephen, and you will always be loved by those who knew you best.

--Alex

I have no words right now. All of my thoughts are with Betsy.

This is a terrible loss. I know that Stephen put up a heroic battle to have lasted so long with the kind of grievous injury his poor heart sustained. He was a man to be admired to the very end.

Betsy, I am very sorry for your loss. Please accept my deepest condolences.

May the memories held within your mind and heart help to soothe your spirit at this difficult time. You are in my thoughts.

It pains me greatly to have to inform everyone that Stephen passed away tonight.

He waged a valiant battle. But he took another turn for the worse and there was nothing his doctors could do.

I know this must come as a shock. I'm beside myself. All I can think of right now is how much Stephen loved the song "What a Wonderful World," and how with Stephen gone the world is no longer quite as wonderful.

You will be missed, Stephen, and you will always be loved by those who knew you best.

--Alex

Dear Betsy,

I just read about Stephen and I am lost for words. I am so sorry for your loss and I can only offer my deepest condolences.

Regards,

Hema