Betsy Speicher

Stephen's Health

278 posts in this topic

I'm sorry beyond words, Betsy. As I've said publicly and privately, Stephen has been a mentor to me in many ways and helped me to get through graduate school with his positivity and encouragement. He was and is a great man. Again, I'm so sorry.

I want to express my sincere, respectful condolences to Betsy and all of Stephen's friends and family. I was acquainted with him only through these message boards, I didn't always agree with him, we never communicated directly, he wasn't a "close personal friend", and I know very little about him, but the value he brought into my life via these boards is not insignificant: the value of being "connected" with other self-aware, rational human beings. I will always be grateful to him and Betsy for that.

I've never liked the song "What a Wonderful World", but I know that from now on I will feel differently about it, and whenever I hear it, I will think of Stephen Speicher.

Charles T.

The first thought that came to mind was, "Good god, no!!!"

Also came Shakespeare's words:

"... the elements

So mixed in him, that Nature might stand up,

And say to all the world, THIS WAS A MAN!"

The world that in so many places knows darkness, has lost one of its lights.

I'm stunned and truly saddened to hear of Stephen's passing....words fail me right now.

Betsy, please accept my most sincere condolences for your tremendous loss.....Take care.

Jim Grabowski

Betsy, I'm terribly sad and depressed that this has happened. He battled against a terrible problem for over two weeks. Stephen was a great guy and a great friend. Our discussions of physics and TEW will always hold a fond place in my memory. The last thing he PMd me was that he liked the Beach Boys song "California Girls" and that he had great memories of listening to it while driving to the beach with his son.

California Girls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LmxtcVklQc

Betsy, I'm very sorry for your loss. Please accept my deepest condolences.

I will definitely miss reading Stephen's interesting and informative posts, and regret that now I'll never have the opportunity

to thank him in person for creating such a great value as the FORUM. Stephen will be deeply missed.

Michael and I extend our deepest condolences to Betsy and the loved ones. Stephen was a good man who fought for what he believed in, produced what he valued, and he will be remembered as such.

Kat and Michael

This is Kyle's wife, Anne. My account here has not yet been approved, so Kyle logged me in as him.

I only really became aware of Stephen last week (although I have known of Betsy for a while now, mostly through Kyle's relays of activities in the Objectivist community), when Kyle told me about Betsy's request for B-neg and O-neg blood donors (my blood type is B-neg).

I didn't know Stephen, but what little I have heard about him in this short time has made me feel his loss like a truck falling on me out of the sky. The world has too many idiots, and not enough people like Stephen and Betsy in it. Strength, passion, intellect, all moving as one toward more and greater. I'm crying now, which I don't do for strangers. I felt a connection, never having known him.

My husband Kyle also wishes to express his deepest condolences. He's not good with words in situations like this (neither am I). But our thoughts are with Betsy and her family.

I am stunned and deeply saddened to hear that Stephen has passed away. Although I never met him, I felt that a new friendship had been formed through our interaction on this wonderful Forum. Stephen's words provided both food for thought and inspiration, and it would not be possible for me to express with words of my own just how much I will miss him. It is at times such as this that, as a musician, I turn to great music to say the thing I most wish to say.

To Betsy and family, my deepest condolences.

I came to know of Stephen and Betsy when they first started this forum. I never met Stephen, but I met Betsy at last year's OCON. The value I have derived from their existence is immeasurable. If I could put in words the most important thing Stephen taught me, through personal interaction and by example, was that benevolence and being an Objectivist weren't mutually exclusive. I can't begin to express how important this was for me. I'm beside myself. I'm so sorry, Betsy, and I'm sorry that "sorry" doesn't cut it. You have my deepest condolences.

HaloNoble6

I could only order my thoughts in a poem:

Stephen, a man I know not personally

yet, whose loss I bear so closely

reminded now, treasure I have crossed

the power of ideas, never to be lost

value, which cannot be taken from memory

My heart goes out to Betsy and all the rest of Stephen's family. I am so very sorry.

I am shocked and very sad to read this. Stephen was clearly a man of great integrity and a very curious, active, and happy mind. I am at a loss. My most sincere condolences to Betsy and her family.

My sincere condolences go to Betsy on the loss of Stephan.

From quantum mechanics to movie reviews, I enjoyed his comments in The Forum.

He will be missed.

Guy Allbee

It pains me greatly to have to inform everyone that Stephen passed away tonight.

He waged a valiant battle. But he took another turn for the worse and there was nothing his doctors could do.

I know this must come as a shock. I'm beside myself. All I can think of right now is how much Stephen loved the song "What a Wonderful World," and how with Stephen gone the world is no longer quite as wonderful.

You will be missed, Stephen, and you will always be loved by those who knew you best.

--Alex

This is a terrible loss for all of us. Betsy, you have my deepest sympathy. I know you fought the battle for his life, as did he, to the best of your ability. I am in grief for a man I never met, but came to love for his brilliance, wit and commitment to reason.

Oh my goodness! There are no words to express my shock and sadness at this news! In my mind Science and Stephen are two inseparable and unstoppable forces. As such, I had no doubt that together they would ultimately produce a recovery here. To learn otherwise is simply heartbreaking.

To Betsy I extend my most heartfelt condolences and sympathy. The only consolation I can offer or imagine is that you had the unique joy of knowing Stephen longer and better than any other soul on this earth. That is a value which will exist forever. It is my fervent hope that this priceless value offers you solace through this terrible time.

Should there be anything you need, please know you only need ask.

This is not the news I had hoped to read when I logged onto the FORUM this morning. I am sorry to hear of Stephen's untimely death. My condolences go to Betsy and Stephen's family and close friends.

Like many people here, I had never met Stephen in person; I knew him only through his many postings on this FORUM and another online Objectivist venue. His words have often given me much food for thought. (I particularly liked his explanations about relativistic physics and his recommendations for further reading. Here was a man who understood his subject, was passionate about it, and could explain it.)

Stephen and I sparred a little some years back, but when I joined The Forum recently he welcomed me with kindness and respect. I'm sorry I was not able to interact with him more. My condolences Betsy.

I do not know how to express the depth of my feelings about Stephen's death. It is a truly remarkable soul that is able to reach as far and touch as many lives as he did, even where no personal contact was possible. I am sick with grief that I will never get to meet him, and even more that I will never get to tell him how much his words have meant to me over the past few years. More than that, though, I'm thankful that I got to see a true Hero of the spirit, even if only from afar, and that I'm able to know that such a man existed in my time.

Betsy, I am crying for your loss, and Matt's. I'm also crying in the joy that the two of you were able to really live as it is meant to be done. And once all the grieving is done, that's what counts.

I have been a member of this forum for a year now, yet this is my first post. I stumbled across this site and read a few writings by Stephen Speicher that answered the questions I was searching for. I was immediately hooked to his concise, rational and intelligent answers/input to the many subjects throughout this forum, so I made an account and began to regularly stop by for some pleasurable reading.

He did not know me, yet he gained my complete respect through his amazing mind (Which, is a respect greater than the one I have for most of the people I know, even on a personal level). I am greatly saddened that I never previously made posts to get a chance to interact with him, but I am at least writing my first one in his honor.

The world needs more men like him.

Betsy,

I don't know what more I can add except I am personally sorry for your loss. You're going to miss him the most, of course, but we will all feel the loss. He was a great human being and the world needs more people like him.

Mark

I deeply regret that my very first post to this forum - which I feel very glad to have discovered - must be to offer my sincerest condolences. To the Speicher family and all of their friends, I am very sorry for your loss.

It feels odd to cry for man I have never met.

I "met" Stephen online two and half years ago on ObjectivismOnline. I had just finished Atlas Shrugged and had some pretty shaky notions of what Objectivism was and what "rational selfishness" entails. I started a thread called Dagny Taggart as a Mother, in which Stephen, with the help of some others, taught me the true meaning of being a selfish person. He was my favorite person on OO.net, so when he started his own forum, it was only natural that I would follow. I cannot say I made much of an impact on his life or this forum, but he has certainly made one on mine. I always dreamed of meeting him at OCON, and it greatly saddens me that I will no longer have the oppurtunity.

Betsy, I honestly cannot even imagine what you are going through.

I met Stephen on Usenet back around 1997 when he and Betsy were one of a very small Objectivist minority on what was then then the only free of charge forum where one could go to allegedly discuss the philosophy. Most of the threads on that forum were devoted to attacking Objectivists - and Stephen's staunch defense of the philosophy and his sense of humor made me smile and laugh many times. Like so many others who he had an impact on, I never met him. I am going to miss him. I wish that it would have been possible for him to read all of the nice things people are saying about him and know how much he meant to so many people. Isn't it sad that people usually wait to say such things until after a person is gone?

Betsy - you mean a great deal to a lot of people as well. You and Stephen were very fortunate to have found each other. You have my deepest condolences.