Stephen Speicher

Gattaca (1997)

Rate this movie   39 votes

1. 1. Rate this movie

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

54 posts in this topic

I just want to use this opportunity to say that Andrew Niccol's latest movie, Lord of War, will be in theatres on September 16.

I hope it lives up to his reputation.  :)

Unfortunately, not. I just returned from seeing the movie and, if Gattaca was a testament to the human spirit, then consider Lord of War to be the anti-Gattaca. I just cannot believe the same person wrote and directed this movie. :)

The movie itself was nicely done, despite a few strange quirks, but on a sense of life level this was a real bomb.

Unfortunately, not. I just returned from seeing the movie and, if Gattaca was a testament to the human spirit, then consider Lord of War to be the anti-Gattaca. I just cannot believe the same person wrote and directed this movie.  :)

The movie itself was nicely done, despite a few strange quirks, but on a sense of life level this was a real bomb.

I agree with you. I saw it on Friday night and left the theatre with very mixed feelings.

I told myself that Niccol was trying to paint the world of the arms-dealer as dark, filthy, and deplorable. That's what enabled me to stomach it. Even the story seemed jumbled and fuzzy in places.

I suspect a proper review requires that I see it a second time; but, I don't know if I want to sit through it again.

I hope he hasn't gone "mainstream arthouse" on us. :)

Re: "Lord of War":

I agree. I caught the last show of the evening last night, and walked out with an odd feeling. Not the different senses of joy I get from a good comedy or a nice romantic film, or a sense of justice at seeing some bad guy get what was due. I was numb, more than anything else, like I had spent the last two hours reading a magazine..

SOME SPOILERS

The political messages didn't bother me too much. I just ignored them. I think it was a lack of drama throughout, despite very shocking scenes or events.

Funny that the most memorable thing about the movie, to me at least, was the lack of emotional reaction I had. I kept waiting for Cage's character to evolve or move as a result of events, but he didn't, and maybe that's the cause of my reaction.

I found an interesting philosophical critique of Gattaca on the Web:

Gattaca Critique

While the author makes some good points (many of which have already been covered on this Forum) I generally don’t agree with him.

I think one of the major themes in the film is about human will and choice, exemplified in several ways in the film; one such case, where a man claims he couldn’t commit murder because of genetic disposition, turns out to be the killer.

Though this writer is correct, this film is far from perfect philosophically, and contradicted itself on some occasions.

- Ryan

P.S. – Keep in mind that the authors use of “subjective” and “selfish” are not the Objectivist uses.