JJPierce

When "outsiders" get the point

13 posts in this topic

Lisa Binkley isn't an Objectivist, and probably never will be -- not in the sense of joining a club, taking courses sponsored by ARI and the like. She might disagree with Ayn Rand on any number of specific issues.

But in her review of ATLAS SHRUGGED for SFReader.com, she got the point:

http://www.sfreader.com/read_review.asp?ID=510

There must be a lot of people like her out there.

Thank you for the link. Let us hope there are many like her out there. I know there are Objectivists in SF, but I'm always a little surprised to find rational people in the general population. :)

Lisa Binkley isn't an Objectivist, and probably never will be [...] There must be a lot of people like her out there.

Thanks for the link. I wouldn't be so sure about either claim though. She's already gone a long way towards grasping some important ideas, and not that many people really "get it" even at that level.

Lisa Binkley isn't an Objectivist, and probably never will be -- not in the sense of joining a club, taking courses sponsored by ARI and the like. She might disagree with Ayn Rand on any number of specific issues.

That was very nice to read. Thanks.

Wow! Thanks for this JJPierce :)

Never discount a reasonably rational person's ability to see reality for what it is.

We don't need a world full of Philosophical-Superstars, or even a whole world full of Objectivists--just sensible value-driven human beings.

Wow is right!!

PS: I meant to add that I found it interesting Miss Binkley found that some of the secondary characters "annoyed the crap out of [her]". Was this annoyance a matter of style (how they were written) or who/what those characters actually are? If the latter, I might agree with her.

PS: I meant to add that I found it interesting Miss Binkley found that some of the secondary characters "annoyed the crap out of [her]". Was this annoyance a matter of style (how they were written) or who/what those characters actually are? If the latter, I might agree with her.

I laughed in recognition when I read that sentence in her review. And although I may be wrong, and can't say for sure; I strongly suspect that the annoyance was with the characters as such. I had a similar experience when I first read The Fountainhead. There would be scenes which involved all the evil characters talking amongst themselves, and I found these scenes so repulsive that I felt trapped. But I decided that reading through these scenes was a torture that I simply had to bear, in order not to miss any relevant plot point(s) that might be contained therein. On my first reading, that was the only reason I didn't skip over those scenes.

Never discount a reasonably rational person's ability to see reality for what it is.

We don't need a world full of Philosophical-Superstars, or even a whole world full of Objectivists--just sensible value-driven human beings.

An eminently sane attitude.

Thank you very much for posting that. It was a welcome read after a friend (who has been sucking up all the Ayn Rand he can get since I gave him The Fountainhead as a college graduation gift) told me to day that he went into a bookstore here in San Francisco this very afternoon to see what Ayn Rand books they have. They responded that management intentionally and consciously refuses to carry her books because, apparently, Ayn Rand is a fascist... Ignorance never ceases to amaze.

Anyway, reading this review helped to restore my knowledge that this city does have good, rational people in it; people who aren't afraid to "get it."

Well, John, you've done it to me. In her critique, Lisa Binkley said that something happened around page 150 that set her on fire and she read as though she were on a deadline. I looked it up. Then I went to the beginning. Now I'm reading like I'm on a deadline. :)

After the recent upset, I need to do it. There is very little that sets my world to rights like Miss Rand.

Thanks again.

Janet

They responded that management intentionally and consciously refuses to carry her books because, apparently, Ayn Rand is a fascist... Ignorance never ceases to amaze.

And so presumably, by setting yourself up as judge and jury and deciding what books people are allowed to read, you are being a good tolerant liberal ? For what it's worth, you can buy Mein Kampf over here if you are so inclined.

I don't know if it's the same in the States, but over here, people throw around the fascist tag with little understanding of what it means, indeed, it's often the collectivists, to whom, the tag can be more accurately applied.

The BBC when ever they are doing one of their top 100 books of the twentieth century polls, Ayn never gets a look in. I called a phone in radio show, telling them I liked Atlas and couldn't get on (shock) but Maya Angelou, Naomi Watts and various viros are lauded

I have been imminently delighted recently after finding Atlas Shrugged made it to number 96 in "Angus & Robertson's" (a local bookstore chain here in Aus) top 100 books of all time. Translation: Every "Angus & Robertson" now carries multiple copies, and it's displayed in a prominent location in their bookstores.

It may not seem like much, but before all this the only reliable and practical way to get any Ayn Rand books was to order it from US. (I used amazon before I found Ayn Rand bookstore. Now I have a CD as well [thanks PhilO] :) )