oldsalt

Saddam's WMD

13 posts in this topic

"I found Saddam's WMD bunkers:" an article by Melanie Phillips in The Spectator. Read it for yourself here.

I might not give this any credence, but Melanie Phillips is usually a credible journalist. That and the fact that it just sounds right. Unfortunately.

"I found Saddam's WMD bunkers:" an article by Melanie Phillips in The Spectator. Read it for yourself here.

I might not give this any credence, but Melanie Phillips is usually a credible journalist. That and the fact that it just sounds right. Unfortunately.

Hadn't seen anything about this. But David Kay, a UN weapons inspector, said years ago that he'd seen calutrons (used in uranium processing) being taken out the back of one site while his team was held up at the front entrance. Kay also said that supplies of anthrax were removed from another site before the UN was able to blow it up. Wonder who got this stuff, Iran or Syria?

Wow. If this is true, I could not be more frightened of the incompetence, the evasion, and the astounding magnitude of criminal negligence on the part of what must be many, many government employees.

Wow. If this is true, I could not be more frightened of the incompetence, the evasion, and the astounding magnitude of criminal negligence on the part of what must be many, many government employees.

What I'm wondering is, why nobody's following up on this. Sure, the mainstream press might avoid it, but I'd think some maverick crew would want to go to the scene with cameras and geiger counters. The residual radiation would presumably still be there. Of course, what's ironic is that Bush's people apparently don't want to touch this with a 10-foot pole.

A friend of mine who worked in the State Department (and pretty high up in it) said that he is certain that Iraq had WMD and transfered them to Syria after Bush started talking about an invasion.

The link to the article does not work :lol:

Apparently the link has expired. You will find a link to a further discussion on this subject here.

A friend of mine who worked in the State Department (and pretty high up in it) said that he is certain that Iraq had WMD and transfered them to Syria after Bush started talking about an invasion.

That is utterly illogical. Why would you transfer your only effective weapons system if you suspected you were about to be invaded? You would surely keep tham and let it be known that if allied tanks entered the capital it would be 'bye bye Tel Aviv' And given that Saddam, what ever else he may have been, was no fool, he surely knew his fate if captured.

The proposition makes no sense at all.

That is utterly illogical. Why would you transfer your only effective weapons system if you suspected you were about to be invaded? You would surely keep tham and let it be known that if allied tanks entered the capital it would be 'bye bye Tel Aviv' And given that Saddam, what ever else he may have been, was no fool, he surely knew his fate if captured.

The proposition makes no sense at all.

Since the world correctly sees America as a paper tiger which requires U.N. permission before it will (maybe) do any damage to a dictator, the only thing that one dictator really has to fear these days is other dictators who either have better weapons and/or U.S. support. Therefore, it seems logical to me that Saddam would have chosen to hide his weapons with Baathists allies in Syria rather than be caught with them by other dictators, i.e. by most U.N. members.

That is utterly illogical. Why would you transfer your only effective weapons system if you suspected you were about to be invaded?

For the same reason that many officials in Saddam's government fled to Syria. For the same reason that Saddam's elite troups fled and blended into the population instead of openly fighting the invading Americans.

They knew that in an open confrontation with the American military they would lose big time and the Americans would destroy their weapons. Instead they retreated until a time when they could return, with their weapons, as insurgents.

That is utterly illogical. Why would you transfer your only effective weapons system if you suspected you were about to be invaded?

For the same reason that many officials in Saddam's government fled to Syria. For the same reason that Saddam's elite troups fled and blended into the population instead of openly fighting the invading Americans.

They knew that in an open confrontation with the American military they would lose big time and the Americans would destroy their weapons. Instead they retreated until a time when they could return, with their weapons, as insurgents.

To add to this, when Bush 41 went in, he didn't even take out Saddam. It's possible that Saddam wasn't expecting Bush 43 to take him out either.

To add to this, when Bush 41 went in, he didn't even take out Saddam. It's possible that Saddam wasn't expecting Bush 43 to take him out either.

I'll add to your addition: Saddam was assured by many of our "allies" that they would stop the invasion. France, and especially Russia, so assured him.

Stussy, did you read the Memorandum?

In order to say that Saddam had no WMD, one must ignore the fact that we have found WMD repeatedly. Just because the media has mostly ignored this fact, or buried it in paragraph 26 under mounds of minutia and trivia, doesn't change that fact. We didn't find everything, nor did we take control the way we ought to have done.

Also, Saddam was evil, but not stupid (probably highly intelligent, in fact). If he didn't have WMD, why wouldn't he let inspectors in? That's probably all that was necessary for him to maintain his power.