JohnRgt

Jeter's Latest Immortal Play

48 posts in this topic

Cute on the "immortal", Grooves!

Thanks, I thought so too. :lol: I even got to work a Monty Python reference in there!

I disagree . . . that in the absence of such numbers, it's invalid to sight reasonable sources in discussion -- everyone understands the limitations of such a reference, no?

Sorry, I haven't been able to figure out what you mean by this. Perhaps you could rephrase?

One more tidbit: Dating to last season, Jeters's hit safely in 57 of 59 games. Coulda broke Joe D's record!!

Wow, that is impressive! It's tough to choose which is more impressive: that or ARod starting the season with 14 home runs in 18 games.

As for Joe D's record, if I see that broken in my lifetime, I will be astounded. In all of baseball history very few have even come close.

To this I've had people say, "You could have said the same thing about McGwire, et al, and Maris' home run record." To which I respond that I don't think they're comparable. It is one thing to project that men will get bigger and stronger, and thus able to hit a ball farther. It is another to say that they will hit it better. I can't think of what could change that would make for better contact, nor am I aware of any evidence that there is better contact now than before. If someone has the evidence, fire away!

This is an incredible play.

http://tinyurl.com/2xxkf7

Click on "Jeter's over- the-shoulder-grab"

Jeter has a moment like this every month or two.

[...]

Thanks for the link. I haven't read through this thread, am not making any argument, and my viewpoint is that of a very occasional baseball fan who knows just next-door to nothing about the game. I'm not even sure what it is about baseball that makes me like to watch it once in a blue moon.

To me, this play was beautiful to watch.

I think too, that my enjoyment is enhanced by the fact that the players are men. But I have no doubt that it would be a beautiful play, whether made by men or women. I liked the precision, purposefulness, speed, teamwork and (I can think of no better word) -- the art of the movements. (And the way that the ball was caught was part of the beauty, so my appreciation was of the play as an integrated whole).

Yankees SS Derek Jeter went 0-for-6, ending his hitting streak at 20 games. Jeter had hits in 59 of his previous 61 regular-season games dating to last year.

:(:lol::(

Jeter passed the immortal Joe Dimaggio on the Yankee total hit list tonight. They both did it within 13 years, although Jeter still has the rest of this year. He has hit safely in (I believe this is accurate) his last 77 of 81 games.

Go Yanks. Kill those Red Sox.

Go Yanks. Kill those Red Sox.

Great line Paul as I could not have said it any better myself.

I have a few suggestions for improvement. :P

That's a good Bronx cheer!!

Mike Vaccaro in this morning's New York Post penned a great piece about Derek Jeter in which he addresses not only the "intangibles" about what makes him stand apart but also his formidable numbers, numbers that do, indeed, place him in the top echelon of baseball's greats.

Read the whole thing here:

Jeter Is Already One of the Greats

WOW. Amazing. I just heard on ESPN that Jeter has more hits after 1745 games than Pete Rose (the all-time leader in hits) did at the same point in his career! And Jeter is younger than Rose. At the end of this year, Jeter may have almost 200 more hits than Rose at the same age!!

And it bodes well for Jeter that he hasn't had much in the way of prolonged injuries. Since hitting the bigs full-time in 1996, he's only missed significant time once (only 119 games played in 2003). I don't know if anything about his playing style makes him susceptible to future injury, but his injury history thus far has been immaculate. I love to see records broken (good ones, anyway*), so I'd love him to see him take down Rose. Provided, of course, that those hits don't come at the expense of my beloved Sox. :o

*That's not a take on the HR record. By a bad record I mean, for example, the record for most serial killings.

Now that I think about it, some comparison to Rose would be fun. Jeter's career BA is .318, Rose's is .303. They both started seeing significant playing time in the majors at 22. Jeter is about to be 33, Rose played until age 45.

Here are the big numbers to look out for. In his age 34 to 45 seasons, Rose played over 100 games in all but his last, and played less than 150 games in only four of those seasons. So Jeter does have some significant work still left to do in order to surpass Rose's hits total.

Let's see if I remember my algebra correctly. (Hey, I'm a lawyer and a musician. Math is far from my strong suit. :o ) Jeter has 2245 career hits, compared to Rose's 4256. To get to 4257, Jeter needs 2012 more. AVG = H/AB, so assuming Jeter continues at his current clip, the equation is as follows (I'm using the exact number for AVG in Excel which is .317...)

.318 = 2012/x

.318x = 2012

x = 2012/.318

x = 6334 (rounded up)

Then I figured out how many seasons it could take him to get that many AB. I calculated his average AB per season (excluding 1995 when he had only 48 AB and the current season which is not over) which is 612 (rounded down). 6334/612 = 10.35. So approximately, using these numbers, Jeter must finish this season and play until the end of the 2017 season to surpass Rose's hit total.

Getting 612 AB over any 10 seasons is amazing, but to do it starting at age 33 would be almost miraculous. That's also assuming no decline in skills.

Assuming no decline in skills from age 33 seems a bit silly, so let's assume a decline in skills. Funny thing is, I was going to use a .300 AVG for the rest of Jeter's hypothetical career. Then I decided to use Rose's age 34-45 seasons to help calculate Jeter's hypo AVG (figuring that the lower AVG would require a couple more seasons from Jeter to get to 4257 than the 10.35 at the .318 AVG). Rose's AVG during those seasons was .296.

But I shouldn't deduct Jeter that much, because Rose only hit .309 through his age 33 season, to Jeter's .318. So let's give Jeter that .009 to Rose's decline and say that Jeter's AVG over his remaining seasons will be .305. (Not a bad guess on that .300. :) And btw, this is not exactly the best way to do career projections, but it's a simple way and at least somewhat useful.)

That gives 6597 AB to get 2012 more H, which is only 263 more than the original 6334. However, Rose's AB/season from ages 34-45 was only 541. I was using 612 AB/season for Jeter, which seems optimistic for the later baseball years. (Of note, Rose had more AB/season up to age 34 than Jeter has thus far, 630 compared to 612. So we might expect fewer AB/season from Jeter going forward than 541. But I don't feel like doing any more calculations, so let's roll with it.)

6597/541 = 12.19 more seasons assuming a decline in skills and AB.

If anyone is as silly as I am and wants to do some more playing with this, let me know and I'll send you the Excel doc.

I guess all this helps show that Jeter has been awesome at accumulating hits thus far, and if he does in fact break Rose's hit record (which I'm hoping), it would be one of the greatest accomplishments not only in baseball but in all of sport.

This may be the best example of that catch-jump-spin-and-throw-to-first thing Jeter has mastered:

Click here. Then click on the "350K" under "6/29: Jeter's Defense."

This may be the best example of that catch-jump-spin-and-throw-to-first thing Jeter has mastered:

Click here. Then click on the "350K" under "6/29: Jeter's Defense."

The "Jeter Jump"™ needs to be trademarked.

Jeter is a superb player, but the player on the Yanks I'm biggest fan of is Hideki Matsui. He's a clutch hitter, with power, and sometimes I think under appreciated. He was always the player I was most concerned with in the line up. I don't know if he's still a Yank, since I've not paid attention to baseball this year.

For defensive players, my all time favorite infielder is Ozzie Smith, with his artistry and acrobatics in the field.

but the player on the Yanks I'm biggest fan of is Hideki Matsui. He's a clutch hitter, with power, and sometimes I think under appreciated. He was always the player I was most concerned with in the line up. I don't know if he's still a Yank, since I've not paid attention to baseball this year.

Matsui is the Rock. He's still with the Yanks -- they gave him a nice contract last year, I think. He didn't have a stellar year in '06, and like so many '07 Yanks, he's hit a wall. If it wasn't for ARod, the Yanks would be in last place this season.

but the player on the Yanks I'm biggest fan of is Hideki Matsui. He's a clutch hitter, with power, and sometimes I think under appreciated. He was always the player I was most concerned with in the line up. I don't know if he's still a Yank, since I've not paid attention to baseball this year.

Matsui is the Rock. He's still with the Yanks -- they gave him a nice contract last year, I think. He didn't have a stellar year in '06, and like so many '07 Yanks, he's hit a wall. If it wasn't for ARod, the Yanks would be in last place this season.

:o The season's not over. :)

:) The season's not over. :o

Not by a long shot!

I'd need to "see the body," as they say!

The Yankees are going all out to make sure that their new stadium, scheduled to open in the '09 season, will look much like the original. One of the few changes to the playing field will be the location of the infield tarp. They're moving it from the first base side to the third base side. Why? To protect, Jeter, of course.

;-)