Lu Norton

Things to do in New York

13 posts in this topic

I will be going to New York this May 25th until the 31st. I have been there a few times. I visited the following:

1. Empire State Building

2. Chrysler Building

3. Statue of Liberty

4. Ellis Island

5. Metropolitan Museum of Art

6. Little Italy

7. China Town

8. Midtown and Downtown Manhattan

I will be staying at Long Island, Valley Stream specifically. My plan is to visit Guggenheim Museum, watch Chicago The Musical, and to do outdoor activities such as leisure walking and jogging. Are there any public tracks around? Or a jogging friendly park where it's not crowded? I also prefer somewhere in a safe neighborhood. If you can suggest other activities to do, I will love to hear it.

I will be going to New York this May 25th until the 31st. I have been there a few times. I visited the following:

1. Empire State Building

2. Chrysler Building

3. Statue of Liberty

4. Ellis Island

5. Metropolitan Museum of Art

6. Little Italy

7. China Town

8. Midtown and Downtown Manhattan

I will be staying at Long Island, Valley Stream specifically. My plan is to visit Guggenheim Museum, watch Chicago The Musical, and to do outdoor activities such as leisure walking and jogging. Are there any public tracks around? Or a jogging friendly park where it's not crowded? I also prefer somewhere in a safe neighborhood. If you can suggest other activities to do, I will love to hear it.

If you like to stroll on a beach, you're not too far from Long Beach. I haven't been there in a while but it was a nice beach several years ago. My sister lives a few miles away from there. There's also Flushing Meadows Park in Queens. I used to live near there and I learned to sail in the lake. The Queens Museum is near by. I can't say what exhibits are there, but it's right near the Park. If you like walking or running or biking, the Park is the Place to go.

There is a running course in Central Park. On the weekends motor traffic prohibited and you can bicycle safely in the part. The running track is featured prominently in the motion picture -Marathon Man-.

Bob Kolker

Try kaiaking across the Hudson River from Manhattan's West Side. Hell of a view and a great workout. (If it applies, the program is novice-sensitive.)

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge to enjoy the beauty of this structure the great views, and to explore DUMBO.

Also, the long-promised walkway is now complete, so one can walk, run, cycle, whatever, down both of Manhattan's river-fronts.

Last: pick up Dianne Durrante's latest book on Manhattan's outdoor monuments/scultpures -- it's packed with great stories, awesome artistic insights, and Mass Transit tips for every listing.

Enjoy!

Try kaiaking across the Hudson River from Manhattan's West Side. Hell of a view and a great workout. (If it applies, the program is novice-sensitive.)

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge to enjoy the beauty of this structure the great views, and to explore DUMBO.

Also, the long-promised walkway is now complete, so one can walk, run, cycle, whatever, down both of Manhattan's river-fronts.

I would be attentive to the time of day I used these facilities. I would time it when the exhaust fumes from internal combustion vehicles are at a minimum.

Bob Kolker

njoy!

There was a time I could have -walked- on the water to cross the Hudson and I didn't even have to be Jesus.

Bob Kolker

That is a great point. You can take a bike from the northern tip of Manhattan, hop on the West side walkway, and two hours later you're in downtown Wall Street, enjoying great views all throughout. It might be less than two hours, can be as little as 30 minutes, I forget the exact time.

I haven't heard about kayaking through the Hudson, need to look that up thanks John!

Let's not forget one my most enjoyable adventures: walking / biking across the Brooklyn Bridge!!

There are plenty of ways to run in Central Park. You can do the large loop, which is also open to cyclists (and, as Bob Kolker pointed out, closed to automobiles on the weekends), but there's also the bridle path and the reservoir loop, both of which have the advantage of not having to dodge bicyclists (although horses have the right-of-way on the bridle path). If you prefer a flat course, run the reservoir loop; for some tough hills, run the full park loop. (I've yet to run the bridle path so I can't comment on that.) Check out the New York Road Runners site, which maps out several possible running routes with their lengths.

The West Side Highway also has lanes for runners and cyclists. GREAT view, especially as you get to the southern end of the island and see the Statue of Liberty in the distance.

There are plenty of ways to run in Central Park.

I'm not in NYC so it isn't a personal question, but I'm curious as to the relative safety of running in Central Park these days? It used to have a very bad reputation, but I know that it's claimed that Guliani did a lot to clean up the city.

There are plenty of ways to run in Central Park.

I'm not in NYC so it isn't a personal question, but I'm curious as to the relative safety of running in Central Park these days? It used to have a very bad reputation, but I know that it's claimed that Guliani did a lot to clean up the city.

Giuliani did amazing things for the city. It was very dangerous when I moved there 14 years ago, but now is extremely safe. I've seen polls rate it as the safest big city in America! I certainly would come home at 3-4am (on weekends...), and was completely safe doing so. Sometimes it seems even my small university town is more dangerous than NYC (Manhattan at least). Giuliani revealed a very heavy hand towards criminals, increased the police force by an order of magnitude, etc. I'm very happy with what's been done with the city. He certainly has no moral qualms severely dealing with bad people. The police force reputedly love him. Central Park might still close at 12am (not that easy to patrol so many square miles of jungle, pretty much); but otherwise the city has become very safe.

A few more suggestions:

- The Met Opera Guild's tour of the Metropolitan Opera House (skip the Lincoln Center Tour.) Week-ahead reservations are required, the fee is prepaid and non-refundable, and the tour is more interesting during the season, but the Met's stage is an incredible technological achievement.

- Take ferries and water taxis whenever possible; they're quick, the views are great and the prices are very reasonable.

- Consider exploring Roosevelt Island by foot. (Being on Manhattan is great, but the best views of the skyline are found on the east shores of the East River.)

- Take the Yankees Stadium tour. Shoot for a day when they're off or away, so you can tour the clubhouse. (The Stadium, home to so much baseball history, is scheduled to be torn down in 2009.)

From what I hear it's not bad at night, but since I am a woman running alone, I take care to do it in broad daylight. There are always lots of joggers around during the day, so you don't have to worry about being isolated with a criminal at any point in the park, even the less densely traveled northern area of the park. My boyfriend feels free to run after dark, but he's quite a bit bigger and stronger than I am, and I prefer not to take unnecessary chances. But, during the day, it's just fine.