Joss Delage

Seeking good podcasts

21 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm looking for good podcasts to listen to on my (new) iPod. I'd be interested in reading suggestions from people here...

If you're into business, Jack Welch has a weekly podcast that's very good. You can find it on iTunes. The Wall Street Journal has a number of good podcasts as well. I also get podcasts from the Economist and the Harvard Business Journal. All free, too!

I was made aware on the HBL that Leonard Peikoff has a podcast and I strongly recommend it to all here. The format is a quick 15mn Q&A where Leonard Peikoff takes a general quaestion and answers it with obviously an Objectivism perspective.

The podcast can be found in the iTunes store by typing "peikoff", or on Dr Peikoff's site here:

http://www.peikoff.com/

I was made aware on the HBL that Leonard Peikoff has a podcast and I strongly recommend it to all here. The format is a quick 15mn Q&A where Leonard Peikoff takes a general quaestion and answers it with obviously an Objectivism perspective.

The podcast can be found in the iTunes store by typing "peikoff", or on Dr Peikoff's site here:

http://www.peikoff.com/

Being an iPod and Apple fan, I have to ask: what kind of iPod did you get? :rolleyes:

Being an iPod and Apple fan, I have to ask: what kind of iPod did you get? :rolleyes:

This wasn't directed at me but I'll mention that I have an iPod Touch (and an iPhone).

The Touch has a better interface and, importantly, it can run any applications designed for the iPhone, except those needing phone service, GPS, or the microphone - basically the Touch is an iPhone without those hardware components (same CPU, same operating system.) The downside is that the memory, being solid state, is currently maxed at 16 GB, which means that those with a large music collection won't be able load all of it onto the device. The old style iPods have enormous capacities because of the little hard drives.

I'm looking for good podcasts to listen to on my (new) iPod. I'd be interested in reading suggestions from people here...

The Rush Limbaugh show is available as mp3 downloads if you are a member. It's less intensive to listen to than the other recommendations here so it's good for playing in the car or in the background while you are working on something else. It is entertaining and informative, telling you the kinds of important current events the usual media ignores or distorts.

I have a brand new iPhone, and a 2+ yr old 80gb iPod.

Dr. Ellen Kenner, the Objectivist radio psychologist has a podcast at http://www.drkenner.com/.

Thank you Betsy. I checked her on iTunes, and I don't think it's for me, but I appreciate this being brought to our attention.

Hi,

Dr. Peikoff's and Dr. Kenner's sites have already been mentioned, so I will suggest EconTalk by Russ Roberts, professor of Economics at George Mason University and Stanford's Hoover Institute. Mr. Roberts is not an Objectivist (due, I believe, to a misreading of some of her ethics), but I still think it is one of the best weekly podcast out there.

The website is http://www.econtalk.org. And even if economics is not your thing, I would recommend keeping it on your list for the times when he tackles lighter topics like the Chevy Volt (9/1/2008), the price of popcorn at the movies (6/23/2008), ticket prices and scalping (7/16/2007), and so on.

Another podcast to check out is Wall Street Confidential, which features investment analyst Jim Cramer. Rather than his usual boisterous self, he is typically quite collected and cogent on this program. Podcasts posted daily.

-Jared

Another podcast to check out is Wall Street Confidential, which features investment analyst Jim Cramer. Rather than his usual boisterous self, he is typically quite collected and cogent on this program. Podcasts posted daily.

I do not understand Jim Cramer. Jim Cramer is almost always ranting like a "mad" man while giving tips on what companies are good or bad investments, which could only be done under capitalism. But, he seems like a socialst/liberal that thinks man needs regulations and was/is a good friend of the ex-governor of New York, Eliot Spitzer. I also caught the end of his show one night where I noticed a picture of what seemed to be Lenin in the background. If someone was to add all these things together (and if the information is correct) they might come to the conclusion that Jim Cramer is one mixed up person that happens to occansionally give good investment information.

I do not understand Jim Cramer. Jim Cramer is almost always ranting like a "mad" man while giving tips on what companies are good or bad investments, which could only be done under capitalism. But, he seems like a socialst/liberal that thinks man needs regulations and was/is a good friend of the ex-governor of New York, Eliot Spitzer. I also caught the end of his show one night where I noticed a picture of what seemed to be Lenin in the background. If someone was to add all these things together (and if the information is correct) they might come to the conclusion that Jim Cramer is one mixed up person that happens to occansionally give good investment information.

I hope my recommendation of Jim Cramer's podcasts isn't misconstrued as an endorsement of his philosophy or politics (or, for that matter, his television show). Wall Street Confidential is a show that does day-to-day market commentary. I recommend it in the same sense I would the Wall Street Journal for business news.

Jared, it was not my intention to state that you agree with his politics or philosophy. I just wanted to bring attetntion to his seeming contradictory behavior.

...I will suggest EconTalk by Russ Roberts, professor of Economics at George Mason University and Stanford's Hoover Institute. Mr. Roberts is not an Objectivist (due, I believe, to a misreading of some of her ethics), but I still think it is one of the best weekly podcast out there.

The website is http://www.econtalk.org.

Thanks Jared.

Jared, it was not my intention to state that you agree with his politics or philosophy. I just wanted to bring attetntion to his seeming contradictory behavior.

No worries--it would have been wise for me to make that clear. After all, this is a philosophy discussion forum.

As for your observation about the Lenin painting, the Wikipedia entry on him notes that he was a staunch leftist in college. I heard somewhere else that he gets a kick out of his own physical resemblance to Lenin. That doesn't surprise me in the least.

-Jared

...I will suggest EconTalk by Russ Roberts, professor of Economics at George Mason University and Stanford's Hoover Institute. Mr. Roberts is not an Objectivist (due, I believe, to a misreading of some of her ethics), but I still think it is one of the best weekly podcast out there.

Wow, this is very good indeed - and there's also 2 yrs of archive available, all for free!

Wow, this is very good indeed - and there's also 2 yrs of archive available, all for free!

Yes, it has become a favorite of mine, particularly for any car ride of over an hour in duration.

p.s. If you have any interest in business or management, be sure to catch the episode featuring guest John Allison of BB&T (5/7/2007).

p.s. If you have any interest in business or management, be sure to catch the episode featuring guest John Allison of BB&T (5/7/2007).

I downloaded everything but haven't yet listened to that one. Bryan Caplan (6/25/07) mentions Ayn Rand several times.

The Touch has a better interface and, importantly, it can run any applications designed for the iPhone, except those needing phone service, GPS, or the microphone - basically the Touch is an iPhone without those hardware components (same CPU, same operating system.) The downside is that the memory, being solid state, is currently maxed at 16 GB, which means that those with a large music collection won't be able load all of it onto the device. The old style iPods have enormous capacities because of the little hard drives.

The iPod touch currently has up to 32GB, as I imagine the next round of iPhones will.

I'm not overly worried about the amount of space on the iPhone/touch, simply because I use my iPhone as a multifunction device, as opposed to just a music player, which is what I use my 160GB iPod classic for. My personal habit is to create "best of" playlists that I put on my iPhone because I find that the best use of it since I don't listen for extended periods of time.

As for the 160GB classic, I have it attached to home home theatre system in my living room. Since I live in a somewhat small apartment, I find it's perfect for my living arrangement. It seems like only yesterday you had to have tons of components that cluttered a room. I have just the home theatre system, cable TV box and my 50" plasma TV in my living room. Also, HDMI have made dealing with all the cables obsolete, too.

OK so this has nothing to do with podcasts, but for what it's worth...

I enjoy "Bloomberg on the Economy" with Tom Keene. Some of his guests get my blood boiling but overall the show is well produced and Mr. Keene asks insightful questions. You will get the occasional defender of free markets which is nice to hear.

http://www.bloomberg.com/tvradio/podcast/cat_economics.html

For lighter fare I just started listening to "The Moth" podcast and have enjoyed a few episodes. The show features one speaker each episode who gets on stage and tells a (generally humorous) story about an event that changed his life. The sense of life varies from brilliant to vulgar, but I have found value in a few of the stories.

http://www.themoth.org/podcast

The "Quick and Dirty Tips" series covers a broad array of topics in neat 5-10 minute pieces. I enjoy "Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing".

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/default.aspx

I also have found some interesting one-off content by searching iTunes for people I am interested in. I found a Leonard Peikoff video (America vs. Americans) and a speech Nassim Taleb gave in London (The Black Swan- Thinking the Impossible).

Good luck and enjoy your new iPod!

I like some of the NPR-broadcasted programs, in particular as they relate to current events and politics. They often have a leftist bias, but once you know it they are still enjoyable and informative:

- KCRW's Left, Right and Center (should really be called Left, Left, Left and Right, but nevermind)

- WAMU's The Diane Rehm Show

- KCRW's To The Point (the least biased of the three)