la zafada

Expanded content on ARI site

26 posts in this topic

According to an e-mail I received from ARI a few minutes ago, the Estate of Ayn Rand has made available many audio and visual recordings of Ayn Rand. They may be heard gratis by users who register on the ARI site at www.aynrand.org.

Since Dr. Peikoff is the executor of Ayn Rand's estate, I assume that he's the one who granted permission for this use.

How wonderful!

Cheers,

Sally

Likewise, Thank you, Sally! This is terrific!

I never did see the '81 talk (Sanction of the Victim) before and now I have. Thank you.

Since Dr. Peikoff is the executor of Ayn Rand's estate, I assume that he's the one who granted permission for this use.

It is also announced and described in the latest (May 7, 2007) Impact.

But Ayn Rand's estate was settled decades ago so there is no longer an "executor" deciding these things. Leonard Peikoff was her sole heir and is the owner of the copyrights. Apparently he has set up an entity called the "Estate of Ayn Rand" to hold them. I don't know the financial and legal details of that, which are his personal affairs. I hope he is getting a sizable tax deduction for donating the right to ARI to broadcast the audio and video over the internet.

I hope he is getting a sizable tax deduction for donating the right to ARI to broadcast the audio and video over the internet.

Me too.

Much of the material has been published elsewhere, so many of us are already familiar with the content of the recordings. Even so, the recording add the valuable context of being able to more accurately pinpoint Miss Rand's exact meaning through her tone of voice, verbal pauses, etc. It's one step closer to face-to-face interaction, which of course, is the best form of communication, even though in this case such interaction is no longer possible.

The Q&A sessions are a real gem as well. Her answers there were unprepared, except for the odd definition or formulation repeated from her published works, so it is a great place to see her mind in action.

... the recording add the valuable context of being able to more accurately pinpoint Miss Rand's exact meaning through her tone of voice, verbal pauses, etc. It's one step closer to face-to-face interaction, which of course, is the best form of communication, even though in this case such interaction is no longer possible...

This reminds me that probably most Forum members never had the experience that some of us had in seeing some of these presentations live and reading the essays as they came out dealing directly with important events that were happening at the time. But what is most important by far is the writing that she left for posterity and which anyone can still read and understand first hand. There is even more in print now than when she was alive, and because her writing and thinking always dealt in basic principles, her essays and lectures will always be relevent to the current events of whatever the day is.

The Q&A sessions are a real gem as well. Her answers there were unprepared, except for the odd definition or formulation repeated from her published works, so it is a great place to see her mind in action.

And so are, in written form, the Letters, the Journals and the workshops on epistemology in the large appendix of Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology.

This is indeed a good opportunity.

I listened yesterday to the interview in which she talked about the differences between conservatism and Objectivism. From the fact that somebody mentioned that The Objectivist Newsletter was then being published, and also from the fact that Ayn Rand talked a little about Senator Goldwater, this was recorded in the early 1960's. But, her comments on the problems with conservatism are just as relevant today as they were then.

One problem that I had was that about every 2.5-3 minutes, the recording would pause for about 10 seconds, evidently to allow the streaming of the audio to catch up. I do use a 56Kb dialup connection, but I have never had this problem before in listening to other Real-Audio programs (such as Dr. Kenner's archived radio shows). It's only a minor annoyance though; the recording was still easy to follow and well worth listening to.

I've been running into a problem at the ARI website. I log in, then I go to the page that lists the recordings, but when I click on a recording I get a page saying that I have to be logged in to view it. So, it ends up in a continual loop. I was able to get to an actual recording once, so I'm not sure what's going on. Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, what can be done about it? Thanks in advance.

Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, what can be done about it?

I haven't, but what software are you using? RealPlayer? Windows Media Player? Do you have a firewall? Which lecture gives you trouble?

I've been running into a problem at the ARI website. I log in, then I go to the page that lists the recordings, but when I click on a recording I get a page saying that I have to be logged in to view it. So, it ends up in a continual loop. I was able to get to an actual recording once, so I'm not sure what's going on. Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, what can be done about it?

It still works for me with firefox. Have you used it before? Unless something odd happened at their server which is now fixed, it sounds like you have a browser or firewall setting problem.

It still works for me with firefox. Have you used it before? Unless something odd happened at their server which is now fixed, it sounds like you have a browser or firewall setting problem.

I kept at it last night and was able to get to the actual recording page for a number of them, particularly the Ford Hall Forum lectures. I had no problem with those. For the other lists, I could usually get to the first couple of recordings, but not those further down the list. However, sometimes I couldn't get through, but would try later and then could get through. So, I'm not sure what's going on.

I haven't used Firefox before, but might try it. To answer Betsy's questions, I was using RealPlayer, but also have Windows Media Player. I do have a firewall but I'm not sure if that's the issue given that I could get to the recordings for quite a few. Maybe I'll just keep trying it and see what happens.

By the way, I just listened to "The Wreckage of the Consensus" last night. I had read the article, but it was so great to hear it. Absolutely brilliant.

I kept at it last night and was able to get to the actual recording page for a number of them, particularly the Ford Hall Forum lectures. I had no problem with those. For the other lists, I could usually get to the first couple of recordings, but not those further down the list. However, sometimes I couldn't get through, but would try later and then could get through. So, I'm not sure what's going on.

I haven't used Firefox before, but might try it.

You don't need Firefox to use the ARI site, but it is worth having for several reasons, and might even indirectly shed some light on the current problem.

To answer Betsy's questions, I was using RealPlayer, but also have Windows Media Player. I do have a firewall but I'm not sure if that's the issue given that I could get to the recordings for quite a few. Maybe I'll just keep trying it and see what happens.

ARI seems to always use RealPlayer. But if you can't even get to the pages with the audio link then the problem is not what player you are using because at least sometimes you don't get that far.

Can you give a couple of explicit examples of what pages you can't reach?

ARI seems to always use RealPlayer. But if you can't even get to the pages with the audio link then the problem is not what player you are using because at least sometimes you don't get that far.

Sure, I just went to the site to see what I could access and what I couldn't. In the list of lectures, I could only get into "Aristotle" (which I have consistently been able to access). Under interviews, I could only access "19th Century Capitalism" and "Objective Law." Previously I was able to access "The Psychology of Altruism." As I mentioned in a previous post, I was able to access a number of the Ford Hall Forum talks earlier this week, but not tonight. So, it seems very hit-or-miss.

I appreciate any help you can offer, ewv (and others). Thanks.

Sure, I just went to the site to see what I could access and what I couldn't. In the list of lectures, I could only get into "Aristotle" (which I have consistently been able to access). Under interviews, I could only access "19th Century Capitalism" and "Objective Law." Previously I was able to access "The Psychology of Altruism." As I mentioned in a previous post, I was able to access a number of the Ford Hall Forum talks earlier this week, but not tonight. So, it seems very hit-or-miss.

I appreciate any help you can offer, ewv (and others). Thanks.

By "access" do you mean access the recording or access the page with the link to the recording?

By "access" do you mean access the recording or access the page with the link to the recording?

I mean I was able to go from the page that lists all the recordings, to a page with a particular recording, and listen to it. Any page I've gotten to with a particular recording I've been able to listen to. The problem is getting to those pages. Hopefully that makes more sense. :P

I mean I was able to go from the page that lists all the recordings, to a page with a particular recording, and listen to it. Any page I've gotten to with a particular recording I've been able to listen to. The problem is getting to those pages. Hopefully that makes more sense. :P

I can't duplicate your problem in either Firefox or Internet Explorer.

Try clearing out the browsing data in Internet Explorer and then logging in again. In IE select the Tools tab at the top, then go to Internet Options -> General and then select 'delete' under Browsing History.

If that doesn't work you might have something set incorrectly under Internet Options -> Security or possibly Internet Options -> Advanced -> Security. If IE prompts you for allowing ActiveX controls at the ARI site then tell it is ok.

If that doesn't solve it or you don't know what to do with it, then try contacting ARI at the 'Contact Us' tab at the top of the ARI home page and tell them you have a problem with inconsistent persistence of your login when trying to access the registered user recording pages. They can probably advise you on what to check in your browser or firewall, or check that your login is working properly on their server. They may have a record on their server of your repeated logins/access failures that could provide a clue.

Also, I suggest deleting all browser cookies for the ARI website. I've seen problems that were solved (generally) simply by clearing cookies that confused server software.

Another thing is to make sure you have good anti-spyware/anti-virus programs running. I've also seen bizarre internet connection problems that are a result of malware.

Thanks, ewv and Phil. I tried the things you both suggested but I'm still having the same problem. Looks like I'll have to contact ARI directly.

I have now listened to a lot of these lectures and discussions and have enjoyed everyone. Even though I have not heard anything that I have not already read before, it is great to hear such clarity in a person.

The only complaint, which is very small, is that the gentelman that is facilitating the Q&A periods is a distraction with his constant, "come on, come on." But, from listening to almost all the lectures at this point I sense that he has an immense amount of respect for Ayn Rand.

For all of you on THE FORUM that were there for the lectures I am jealous, :) what a wonderful time that must have been. I once remember seeing a clip of Dr. Ridpath where he stated that he stayed up all night after some of her lectures because he was so excited.

If anyone here has any contact with Dr. Peikoff, tell him that I said thank you.

The only complaint, which is very small, is that the gentelman that is facilitating the Q&A periods is a distraction with his constant, "come on, come on." But, from listening to almost all the lectures at this point I sense that he has an immense amount of respect for Ayn Rand.

That isn't in all of them. He was probably trying to keep things moving so as to fit in as many as possible without wasting time in between questions.

That isn't in all of them. He was probably trying to keep things moving so as to fit in as many as possible without wasting time in between questions.

I know it is not in all of them and I understand what he was possibly trying to accomplish. I just think saying it as many times as he did, which is almost everytime someone new steps up for a question, is a bit much. But, I do not want to go off in that direction as I am enjoying every other aspect about these talks.

I would like to recant some of my statements from my earlier post. First, I said that I had not heard anything that I had not heard before. Philosophically this is true, but some of the conctrete examples that Ayn Rand uses to explain her points (in the Q&As), is something that I had not heard or read and which I am fully enjoying. The second item is my small complaint about the facilitator, his statements no longer bother me and I actually like the way he facilitates the Forums. "I've got it, I've got it, and if I don't have it I am sure you will correct me." I had to start laughing when I heard this statement by him.

To all the people that played a part in this happening, I would like to send my thanks.

I would like to recant some of my statements from my earlier post. First, I said that I had not heard anything that I had not heard before. Philosophically this is true, but some of the conctrete examples that Ayn Rand uses to explain her points (in the Q&As), is something that I had not heard or read and which I am fully enjoying. The second item is my small complaint about the facilitator, his statements no longer bother me and I actually like the way he facilitates the Forums. "I've got it, I've got it, and if I don't have it I am sure you will correct me." I had to start laughing when I heard this statement by him.

To all the people that played a part in this happening, I would like to send my thanks.

Are you referring to lectures at Ford Hall Forum? They were always very cordial, helpful, civilized and supportive of the proceedings. Ford Hall was a favorite place of Ayn Rand's to speak and people poured in from all over the place, including foreign countries, to hear her there. It was always exciting and well worth being there in person.

Are you referring to lectures at Ford Hall Forum? They were always very cordial, helpful, civilized and supportive of the proceedings. Ford Hall was a favorite place of Ayn Rand's to speak and people poured in from all over the place, including foreign countries, to hear her there. It was always exciting and well worth being there in person.

Yes, I am referring to those lectures. I also agree, it seems that almost every person in the hall was very cordial. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed your time there.