Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PhilO

Microsoft Surface

8 posts in this topic

Having read and seen what I can see of "The Surface" I can't see it being ideal. Unless you had "arm rest" areas you could program in. There are a reason keyboards come with wrist rests. And I noticed a LOT of hand and arm movements in the demonstration videos. It may seem like a bit of a pathetic gripe, but if you're using the computer a lot those arms will very quickly become tired.

The old test: hold your arm out at shoulder height and see how long you can carry a 50c coin (for the aussies) on the back of your hand, or whatever coin is largest in the US for those of the American continent.

That said... HOW AWESOME DOES THAT LOOK! :P

I hope they integrate that technology into tablet PCs and smartphones (like the iPhone). Beyond that I think they should make glasses that overlay that on any surface you look at, so you can use an entire wall as a workspace (without the expense of a digital wall). The future is beautiful.

Having read and seen what I can see of "The Surface" I can't see it being ideal.

I'm not seeing your point personally. There is nothing in the design that couldn't easily create a virtual (flat) keyboard anywhere on the screen in any orientation, and it would be no more stressful than using a regular keyboard. Maybe even less so. Also, the initial environment would be as an integration into restaurant or bar tables - no more stressful than any other such surface. Eventually (sooner would be better!) one would expect to see entire active desktops that are much larger than the initial 30" size (or at least comprised of multiple units butted together.)

I hope they integrate that technology into tablet PCs and smartphones (like the iPhone). Beyond that I think they should make glasses that overlay that on any surface you look at, so you can use an entire wall as a workspace (without the expense of a digital wall). The future is beautiful.

Who needs glasses? Look far enough into the bright future, you have a direct link to your visual cortex and sensors in your hands so you can use all of space as your workspace.

Having read and seen what I can see of "The Surface" I can't see it being ideal.

I'm not seeing your point personally. There is nothing in the design that couldn't easily create a virtual (flat) keyboard anywhere on the screen in any orientation, and it would be no more stressful than using a regular keyboard. Maybe even less so. Also, the initial environment would be as an integration into restaurant or bar tables - no more stressful than any other such surface. Eventually (sooner would be better!) one would expect to see entire active desktops that are much larger than the initial 30" size (or at least comprised of multiple units butted together.)

I already own stock in MSFT. Do you think pursuing a maker of glass cleaner would be prudent?

Lady Brin

-----------------------------

I already own stock in MSFT. Do you think pursuing a maker of glass cleaner would be prudent?

Actually, I think this one device and its descendents might be able to rescue Microsoft from a number of problems, depending on how its marketed and how broadly the technology is accepted (and how well it actually works - a Flash demo is one thing, it's another to have it keep working for months in a heavily used hostile environment.) I think you should hold onto the stock. But get some Proctor & Gamble shares too if you want :P:P

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0