Betsy Speicher

'Atlas': Still Radical

4 posts in this topic

Published on Sunday, May 6, 2007 in the Orange County Register.

'Atlas': Still radical

Ayn Rand's novel 'Atlas Shrugged' is 50 years old

By ONKAR GHATE

Senior fellow at the Ayn Rand Institute in Irvine

For most people, reading "Atlas Shrugged" is an unforgettable experience. The story is gripping, involving numerous mysteries and unexpected but logical plot twists. The characters are unique – what other book contains a philosopher-turned-pirate? And the writing is that rarest of combinations: at once clear and deep.

But for many readers, "Atlas" is even more: it's life-changing. Fifty years after its publication, how can a novel still exert this powerful an effect? Because in its pages Ayn Rand forces you to look at the world anew.

[....]

To read the entire op-ed, click here.

########

In addition, there was an editorial on Atlas Shrugged the same day (click here) and numerous letters to the editor (click here).

I love reading articles like that Betsy... thanks for the heads up.

When I read Atlas Shrugged it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Ever since then, after a period of philosophical reflection and investigation, my entire life has been the best thing that has ever happened to me :P (ambiguous phraseology aside.)

Thanks, Betsy! Yep, still radical. I just finished listening to the audible.com unabridged audiobook version on my iPod a few days ago. Even better than I remembered. Except that, when I first read it, I thought the heroes were a little unbelievable, but the villains were very believable. Now, I find the heroes real people and the villains not as real... just not as evil as those I've seen. Thompson is the most realistic in his Clintonesque 'anything can be negotiated, compromised, explained away' attitude.

Who is John Galt?