Dufresne

I just love nature...

12 posts in this topic

I'm really getting into photography myself. I have a Canon 20D, and I'm having a ton of fun.

I'm really getting into photography myself. I have a Canon 20D, and I'm having a ton of fun.
I recently started creating high dynamic range images, for example the picture of the leaves against the sky. That's been a lot of fun. I can recommend trying that (if you haven't already). I'm using the free Qtpfsgui software but Photomatix is nice too (though not free).

Thanks, I noticed that the colors were boosted on your pic. There are a variety of things I want to do well before I get into that kind of things, like good night / low light photos, portraits, wildlife, etc. See below for a few examples (the animals are actually not so wild, since from the zoo...)

141500937-M.jpg

97469892-M.jpg

97551887-M.jpg

97477587-M.jpg

97612271-M.jpg

134060232-M.jpg

I don't have any pictures up on a service yet, but I will soon. I just recently renewed my interest in photography and bought a Canon 30D. I'm very pleased with the camera and two lenses so far.

When I get some shots up (probably Picasa), I'll post some on here.

Meanwhile, here's an old thread on OO.net that contains some of my older stuff.

Thanks, I noticed that the colors were boosted on your pic. There are a variety of things I want to do well before I get into that kind of things, like good night / low light photos, portraits, wildlife, etc. See below for a few examples (the animals are actually not so wild, since from the zoo...)
The last image looks like a scene from an old detective film. Mysterious. Very nice. Equally mysterious: what did you do or say to make the kid laugh like that? :)

The last image looks like a scene from an old detective film. Mysterious. Very nice. Equally mysterious: what did you do or say to make the kid laugh like that? :)

Thanks, I'm very happy with it. I had rented the new Canon 50mm f/1.2L, and I took my camera with it and a tripod into town to play with the lens. At some point, I saw this man coming through the mist and just had the time to focus on him and shoot. It was pure luck (as in, I was there and ready at the right time... :) )

Same story with the kid. First, that little girl (Lucy) is the most friendly, happy child I've ever seen, and has a very expressive face to boot. She's the daughter of good friends of ours, and she's just amazing. Second, I just took plenty of pics and that one stand out. I heard recently from a National Geographic "explorer in residence": "the secret to taking good pictures is to take a lot of pictures". That's an exaggeration, but there's a lot of truth in it. You can see more of her below in the 'friends & family' category:

http://jdelage.smugmug.com/

I heard recently from a National Geographic "explorer in residence": "the secret to taking good pictures is to take a lot of pictures". That's an exaggeration, but there's a lot of truth in it.

That is a good way to capture the best of minor variations and to take a chance on ideas that come up spontaneously, but it's no substitute for knowing what you are doing. Amateurs sometimes try to invoke it and wind up with a lot more bad pictures! If the composition or settings aren't right, it doesn't help to use them a lot. :)

Another way to catch the best of minor variations -- for example to get just the right expression or lighting, when it is changing rapidly -- is to use the multiple exposure option in which the camera automatically takes several exposures per second for a few seconds.

Off-topic question to Dufresne - I notice you're from Germany which is rather unusual. Do you know of other Ayn Rand fans there?

Off-topic question to Dufresne - I notice you're from Germany which is rather unusual. Do you know of other Ayn Rand fans there?
Yes. I know two philosophy students who are students of Objectivism - not just Ayn Rand fans. One of them is involved with ARI's OAC. He also created a group called "Ayn Rand Connection" on a German Facebook clone. The group currently has 66 members but in my judgment is mostly comprised of people who have read some of Rand's fiction and maybe are sympathetic to parts of Rand's philosophy but far from students of Objectivism. Then there is an e-mail newsgroup which has an estimated dozen subscribers from various German-speaking countries. But there hasn't been a new posting for over a year... Surprisingly there are German translations of Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead and The Virtue of Selfishness. I can't comment on the quality of these translations, though, because I haven't read them.