Betsy Speicher

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)

Rate this movie   12 votes

1. 1. Artistic Merit

2. 2. Sense of Life or Personal Value

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 posts in this topic

Well, Order of the Phoenix [OotP] is my favorite of the series, book-wise, so it was with a bit of trepidation mixed with a lot of excitement that I went to the IMAX theatre at midnight to see it (the IMAX is brilliant, by the way. Ending's in 3D). I'm happy to say, though, that it's also my favorite movie so far. I think they really hit the mark with this one.

Spoilers Below

I'll start right out and say that they cut a lot of stuff out of this movie, including a lot of material I really wanted to see. I thought Harry's exclusive interview with the Quibbler was inspired, and I was sorry it was cut.

However...

I don't think any of the things they cut detracted from the movie as a whole. With OotP being over 800 pages, there was no way they were going to fit it all in.

What I liked about this movie was how true it stayed to the characters. Luna's ethereal weirdness was spot-on. Umbridge's sickly-sweet poison was enough to have me wanting to throw things at the screen. I loved how there were little hints about what's to come regarding Ron, Hermione, Harry and Ginny. Ginny's reductor curse was brilliant, as were her jealous looks whenever Cho was mentioned.

Also, while the relationship between Harry and Dumbledore still isn't as developed as I would have liked in the movies, I think this one, with Dumbledore's obvious fear in the posession scene, took great strides in moving forward to a place where their interaction in Half-Blood Prince will be believable.

I loved the whole posession scene, actually. Harry's warning to Voldemort was just so Harry, even if it wasn't in the book.

And then there was Sirius. I have to admit I didn't much care for Gary Oldman as Sirius in Prisoner of Azkaban, but this movie made up for it. From the Christmas scene where Sirius lingers in the back, to the ending where he says "Good one, James," to Harry, I think the movie really brought out the complexity of Sirius' character. He needed that, before the end.

I did get the impression, however, that if I hadn't read the books I'd have had no idea what was going on. It's hard for me to tell whether or not the movie would do well as a stand-alone when I just fill in all the gaps automatically. :)

I had a great time, though. Definitely recommend seeing it at the IMAX. (The whole department of mysteries scene is in 3D. It's brilliant!)

I really enjoyed this movie. The previous one had given me the strong impression that the director had, to put it simply, not read the book, much less the series. This one was true to the book, with the cuts made intelligently. The length of the movie, 2 1/2 hours, is enough to do the material justice.

The cast was very, very good. Umbridge and Sirius were especially well played, and the actors playing Harry, Hermione, and Ron are also growing in skill and maturity. Hopefully they will be able to transition to non HP movies after the series is ended.

The one bemol as far as I'm concerned is Dumbledore. In my opinion, the actor is simply not in the character of the book. The book gives an impression of great internal strength and humor, whereas the actor portrays D. in the movie as a bit too frail and out of touch. When I think of the persona that should come across, I think of Obi-Wan Kenobi in the first Star Wars (episode 6).

I did get the impression, however, that if I hadn't read the books I'd have had no idea what was going on. It's hard for me to tell whether or not the movie would do well as a stand-alone when I just fill in all the gaps automatically. :)

I'm going to have to agree with this one... I went with someone who had only seen the movies and never read the books, and I spent about forty minutes afterwards answering his questions.

I had a great time, though. Definitely recommend seeing it at the IMAX. (The whole

department of mysteries

scene is in 3D. It's brilliant!)

Wow, I'm jealous... I've got to find one near me.

** SPOILERS **

+1 for me on this, too. I went with my wife who hasn't read the book. I loved the movie but she was left cold. It's impossible for me to watch the movie and disregard what I already know. For me, now, seeing the movies is an experience of enjoying how someone else portrays the mental images already in my head.

This said, I thought that this episode in the movie series is one of the best. Of course, it would be impossible to get everything from the book on the screen. In fact, my only criticism is that they should have left more out. There are a few characters (the evil house-elf for example) that are too thinly portrayed. The movie captures the emotional tone perfectly. The directing and acting are spot-on as the characters go through their teenage years. In particular, when Harry sees into Snape's childhood I shed a few tears! Having suffered some sticks and stones in my own childhood I found that I could relate to Snape in a way that I never have in the books.

I can't wait for the 7th to arrive :) Predictions? Is Snape going to turn out a good guy (I think so)? Does Harry die (no way)?

Spoilers Below (and a book 7 theory)

They tried to get rid of Kreacher, but Jo told them that that would not, in fact, be a very good idea. (because of book 7). My theory is that Kreacher either has the locket horcrux, or helped RAB (presumably Regulus) to get it. Or both.

Just a quick note about the 3D ending. This was the first movie I've ever seen in 3D and it made the movie pretty fun. I don't want to give anything away, so I'll just say that the setting of the 3d scenes were well-chosen.

I think I can see why more movies are not available in 3d, though. Other than the additional costs of filiming, I think it can greatly distract from the movie's story. Personally, I spent more time studying the 3D effects and thinking about the differences between it and and the 2D version than paying attention to what Harry was doing.